WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Central New York

Hails from United States
Attempting a White-Line ("Provincetown") Print...

I've become fascinated by White-Line (Provincetown) prints and finally got up the courage to give them a try (many thanks to the folks who answered my questions in a previous thread! ). I have to say... they are FUN! I've been inspired by seeing them here on WC and finding them on the web by googling incessantly... boy, would I love to take a class this summer on the Cape... and learn from experts!:

I'm not sure how successful I was. My image was a sketch of Lela, my Chow/Beagle/Mix, playing with a Raccoon stuffie. I did this in an oil pastel a few months ago. Anyway, my first try was with a new set of Golden Fluid Acrylics that I had laying around the house...

I wasn't prepared for how FAST acrylics dry though. I hadn't used them before and as I painted the lino block, I could see the acrylics drying right before my eyes. Eek! I got the job done, but it was pretty sloppy lol.

After that, I decided to pull out my Akua Intaglio inks and paint the block with them. They have a very long dry-time so it was much easier to work with:

The one thing about working with the Akua was that my white lines seemed a bit fuzzy, compared to the acrylic version.

Akua version closeup:

Acrylic version closeup:

I don't know why. When I see white-line prints on the web, the white lines are SO SO crisp! Perhaps it was the speed at which I was working (probably too fast?) or the fact that I was using my fingers as pressure instead of a press, spoon or marble rolling pin?

Although the process was much more sloppy then doing a normal linocut, I REALLY enjoyed seeing the dynamic strokes I could get using a brush. Lela came out less photo-realistic than she would if I had done her as a regular linocut too- and I'm trying to loosen up with my work, so I liked that aspect. It gels more with the style of my monotypes, which are more loose and "strokey" than my usual stuff.

Anyway, any C & C would be welcome. Thanks guys!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Re: Attempting a White-Line ("Provincetown") Print...

can one use wet paper to pick up the water based colors on these? IN that case, you wouldn't have to worry about dry times.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I think it depends on the paper. Watercolor is normally worked on sized paper. Watercolor flows out to wherever it is wet so if your unsized paper is damp it will probably be fuzzy on the edges. It shouldn't happen with a lightweight sized paper.

Jen, try the Akua on sized paper compared to unsized. Same also with watercolor. It may also be that your paper is a bit fuzzy, not super smooth. Arches 88 is a common (unsized) paper for Akuas.

Diane
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Central New York

Hails from United States

Thanks guys!

Msstuarte- Traditionally Provincetowns used watercolor, but I am SO AFRAID to use soaked paper. I'm so worried that I will do a great edition, and then won't be able to get the paper un-buckled. That scares the be-jeez out of me for some reason!

Diane-- I was using Seth Cole, which is a drawing paper that comes in a pad. I will head to the art store and see if I can find any Arches 88, thank you for that tip! Now that I think about it, I think Arches 88 came highly recommended in the Ayre's monotype DVD I have too... hmmm...

Jen
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Salem, OH

Hails from United States

For what it's worth, I think the 2nd print is much more interesting. I can more easily read the subject, & the subtle extra touches of darker areas on your pooch make a big difference for me. I even like the color choices better. (I'm a dog person, so I'm biased toward your subject anyway. LOL) So crisp white edges are the goal? (Now I'm gonna have to Google this, too!) This method is new to me, so I can't help with any suggestions, but I look forward to seeing your next exploration.