WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Leicester UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Contemporary illustrations

Hello all and good day to you,
I have just been commissioned to illustrate a children's book but the publishers have requested a Contemporary approach. All well and good but what on earth constitutes a modern illustration?
any ideas?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Contemporary illustrations

Look at several childrens books online and then make a few examples of your work to show the publisher and let them make the decision.

My Website
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States

A research trip to a children's library or bookstore should help provide an overview of what's out there.

Since you have the commission you could certainly ask for more information. Can they give examples of what they consider a "contemporary" approach? I would assume they are trying to say they don't want Howard Pyle or Arthur Rackham, but are they looking more for Eric Carle, Michael Hauge or Tasha Tudor?

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi,

I guess that they want you to use a style like what one sees nowadays, instead of the lets say "Disney like"

José

Read about it on my Blog
Friendship Is Like Peeing In Your Pants…Everyone Can See It, But Only You Can Feel It.
I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

yup
contemporary means kind of 'modern' to me
suggest studying the targeted age group in your community?
see what they're wearing, what's their style

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

I would ask the publisher - all the research in the world won't get you into their heads! Ask for examples of styles they like or a mood board for a sense of what they're going for. Generally publishers choose an illustrator based on their existing portfolio styles - so ask if there was a particular project or piece of yours that convinced them to give you the job.

The problem is contemporary in illustration could mean so many things. There are popular watercolour style books, cartoon style books, hand-drawn monochrome styles, collage styles... you really need more of a brief.

Congrats on the commission too!