WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Chicago area

Hails from United States
Your help is appreciated!

Hi All,

Trying to finish this portrait of my mother, but not satisfied with it - any suggestions would be appreciated! I know I need to bring her hairline down a bit.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Your help is appreciated!

It would help to comment if we could have more details about what you are not happy about- and a ref photo will help most of all.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Immortalized

It looks like you are almost there. Look at the placement of the eyes, and try to show that the eye sockets are on a curved face. Is her mouth crooked?

She looks like a kind woman.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 AM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Laura, I like some of the searching qualities of your colors here - well done. What I might suggest you take another look at - just from standard proportions ( e.g., I am flying bling) are:

1.Her right iris is a bit large
2. Her nose is a bit long - maybe just a few millimeters ( a typical challenge with developing portraitists is the nose length)
3. the shape of her upper eye-lids - take a very close look at each one - they will flatten a bit over the iris most often and their shapes will be less ... "almond-y" ( more like irregular parallelograms ).
4. eye brows are not sharp turns but more like core shadows/terminators with fuzz.. her right eyebrow is too sharp a turn toward the eye-socket.
5. light - you might organize the light here a bit better going from where every the light is brightest to darkest. Where are your key highlights ? If you squint, is the chin darker (underneath) than that ?

Ok that's enough things to think about!

-Kevin

Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Chicago area

Hails from United States

Hi Beth - I had my subject come sit for me so no reference - I need her to come sit again!
Hi Mary - thank you - I agree re: the eyes and mouth.
Hi Kevin - as always, thank you for taking the time to provide specifics in your critique! I will review all these points and keep working at it! I need my mom to come and sit for me again. Re: the light, I had her sit near a north window at mid-day, and there was a light overhead.