WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Reference Image Library Requests and Support
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
North West England

Hails from United Kingdom
Classical Art Cast Sculptures Request

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has classical art plaster casts that they could upload to thr RIL. I have searched the RIL, and Googled for a while in search of decent photographs of them.

The casts I mean are white, an eye, mouth, nose and ears, I have also seen artists copying a mask of Beethoven, artists use them for drawing practice. I have been to a few sites that sell them (too expensive for me to purchase), and the pictures they have are not well lit. I would like to be able to copy them with just one light source, with shadows, like Rembrandt lighting.

If anyone has any of these casts, and could photograph them, I would be very thankful.

I think that these subjects will be a popular resource for WC! members, especially in drawing and sketching.

Thank you for any replies. Roy.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: Classical Art Cast Sculptures Request

Have you checked out the V&A Plaster Casts Court? You should be able to download some from there.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 AM
North West England

Hi Charlie's Mum,

Thank you for your reply. I have bookmarked that link. If I find any other info on plaster casts, I will post details here.

I found quite a good photo of the eyes nose ear and mouth, on Google images that I think could possibly be tweeked in Photoshop to darken / sharpen the shadows, it's quite small, (402 x 145 pixels ), can't remember where I got it from though. ( when I click properties on the photo, it just says plaster casts.png ) When I come across it again on the web, I will post details.
I presume the image may be copyrighted, so I won't post the photo here, or can I ? I don't know if it is OK to e-mail it to anyone who wants a copy. Roy.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 05:43 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

There's no reason why you can't post links to the image(s).

The V&A ones should be OK to use - but you could always email them to check there are always students in the Cast Room at V&A drawing from the casts.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My saa website**
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 07:28 PM
North West England

Hi all,

I have found the website of a marvelous portrait sculpter, Philippe Faraut.

He teaches sculpture, does forencic reconstruction, and sells sculpting supplies.

If you click on reference casts, then click on the small thumbnail which comes up, a full size picture of the cast appears. On my monitor the pictures are about 10" in height, and clear.

There are... planes torsos, facial features (eyes noses etc), planes of the face and head, skull, masks depicting fear, sadness, discust, anger, rage, smile, surprise, child, youth, adult, maturity, and antiquity (a 90 year old).

He also has a fine portrait gallery. I have seen a few videos on youtube, of him creating some of the sculptures. I think that this is a great resource for drawing, and I hope it helps people like me, who are self learning.

Roy.
The website is called PCF Studios.

http://philippefaraut.com

Other sites I have found with images are,...giustgallery.com and pafa.org
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Is he happy for people to download and use his images Roy?
Are they copyright and need permission?

**My saa website**