WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2011, 05:52 PM

best tablet PC (ipad, Blackberry etc.) for digital sketching

I know I posted something similar earlier on, but I was comparing a wacom against the ipad.

I also saw there is consolidated thread called artist's tablets, but it is from 2007, so I am looking for a more updated info on this, as tablets have come quite away since then.

Right now I am asking for who has has used what tablet & their experiences to help me possibly pick out a tablet to start digital sketching. I like the idea of reducing paper, I have alot around my house in sketchbooks, & I am starting to get silverfish & possibly a mouse or rat is taking up residence with all the paper, I read they like paper. Also, I dont have alot of space & scanning in hand done sketches is time consuming. So I would like to go digital.

It seems for standalone tablets, the ipad is popular, but I have noticed there are other makes, Blackberry makes one & the android ones.

any info from more experienced digital artists here would help. Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 PM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States
Re: best tablet PC (ipad, Blackberry etc.) for digital sketching

This thread on artist's tablets was started in 2006, but if you go to the last couple pages you will see it has been updated with information relevant to your question. There may be other threads on the subject in the Digital Art forum, too, but I haven't nosed around in there enough to be sure.

Ray
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 PM

I have both, Ipad would be much better
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2011, 03:06 PM
London

I LOVE my ipad, although you can sketch on smaller tabs (as I do on my ipod) the large size is perfect for sketching.

And the range of art apps is fantastic.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2012, 08:43 PM

Talking Re: best tablet PC (ipad, Blackberry etc.) for digital sketching

[FONT='Helvetica','sans-serif']I can run all my phone apps on my tablet.Best android tablet pc by ESPOW for $120.

So it takes up full screen which is fine since there is a button which shows the most recent apps so its very easy to switch apps running in the background. I think Flash is still very important in the tablet form factor since web browsing is the most important thing u do with tablets and u wont get a full experience not having flash.

Just as was the case with phones android is taking over with tablets i have been at best buys recently and most ppl were hanging out in the android tablet section. I am sure the ESPOW tablet sales will show that android has over taken ipad. [/font]

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Land of Rain

Hails from United States

I am still looking. I have an HP tablet computer an android Acer Honeycomb version and an iPhone, honestly; I have the most fun and the get most work done with the little iPhone and a bamboo wacom pen. I want a device that is smaller than an ipad and as adept as a regular computer. Of course the most serious work is done with the HP TouchSmart tm2. With that said, that iphone and the smooth screen protector makes it so easy to create great works of art. (A 15 minute study example from my iPhone is attached.)

Last edited by Silent Jaguar : 02-29-2012 at 11:42 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 12:40 PM

I was thinking about getting a Asus Infinity when it comes out in 2nd quarter (probably May, June or July) since it's top of the line right now in processor speed, but after reading a few articles on what's coming in the next few years, it seems like it'd be better to just forget about getting a tablet til at least 2014 when the new chips come out since they'll be so much more powerful. Transformer Prime is top of the line right now, and it's got quadcore of tegra 3 on it... but look at what's coming down the road.

If 10 inch Transformer Prime is too big, the Asus Memo is coming in second quarter too... it's a 7 inch tablet that's got a tegra 3 quadcore too... but to me it seems that 7 inches might be a tad small to draw on a lot.

I've started visiting the transformerforums a little. Good reading over there... http://www.transformerforums.com/

Last edited by mastermesh : 03-17-2012 at 12:44 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

I have a blackberry playbook. I only have it because it was a gift and I will be returning it to the gifter as soon as I get my new iPad next week.

The software on the playbook is very limited. I also find it too small to want to produce any artwork on. Even so I actually did something better on my iPhone than I did with the playbook, so having a larger version of the iphone will be perfect.

I think Blackberry have really missed a trick here because of the limited and over priced apps, will struggle to survive.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM

Tablets without an active digitizer are are waste of time and money. This is what people should get for the best productivity: ASUS EP121

Pressure sensitivity is key!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Alicante

Hails from Spain

The best option to get is the iPad, I recommend the new iPad because of the higher saturation on the screen and the PPI
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 12:46 AM

I prefer Ipad