WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Buffalo

Hails from United States
Finding Images on Google/Searching for photographer

There are few people on Wetcanvas that have remarkably good skills at searching image databases. One, whose name I cannot recall, noticed recently in another thread, that a sample web site posted for comments included a banner photo from another web site. I suspect he knew how to search the image databases for duplications. I am wondering how to do that as I have an image I found on Google that I would like to use as photo reference for a painting. I found the web site it was tied to and asked them if they owned the photo or who the photographer was. They didn't know, they had taken it without permission. I can find the image on Google, but it is only tied to that one web site. How might I find where the image came from orinally and hopefully find the photographer? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 PM
A Local Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States
Re: Finding Images on Google/Searching for photographer

If you can find the image on Google Image Search you can follow the links "similar" and "more sizes" to other postings of the same image.

You can also paste the image into tineye.com:

http://www.tineye.com/

which will lead you to other sites at which this same image is posted. Check to see if any of these sites give appropriate credit to the photographer.

You might also simply post the image here and see if anyone recognizes the image or photographer.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Buffalo

Hails from United States

Well this has been an interesting exercise. I took your advice and searched. Something I had never done using your suggestions. I found multiple blogs using that image, probably without permission and I found the image and another like it most certainly by the same photographer at a couple of wallpaper sites. I have now contacted the person who may have posted the images to the wallpaper sites. It will be interesting to see if he/she is the photographer or just another person infringing on someones copyright. Here is one of the images: http://www.wallpapersonly.net/view/i...1920x1080.html
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Kudos to you for doing that. Not many people would.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Getty Images says that this is a royalty free photo and does not need a release but trust that at your own peril.

My Website
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Buffalo

Hails from United States

How do you know that? Is there something attached to that image that I should have seen or did you do a separate search that revealed that information to you? Learning, Learning, Learning!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:20 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I right clicked on the image you showed and got the name of the image under properties and tried a search. When that didn't turn up what I wanted, I saved the image to my computer and uploaded it to tineye.com and found this. I chose the one with the coyright symbol watermarked on it, thinking it might belong to someone who owned the copyright. It took me here. There are two images there, very similar and the release information under the photos.

My Website
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Buffalo

Hails from United States

Awesome. Thank you.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain

If one uses one or several elements from a photo and do not 'copy' the photo for reference.... what is the position?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Buffalo

Hails from United States

There is no issue if the orginal image is merely a stepping off point for another original work of art in which the reference photo is not unmistakably identifiable. However, in one case I have done a botanical where, while not exact, is so clearly based on the photo reference that it would be copyright infringement not to gain permission from the photographer. I am not a bad artist, but still amateur enough that improvisation is still a bit difficult for me so I try to cover my bases and always get permission when I select a reference photo. The professionals and truly gifted barely need the reference photo for much more than staging. I am not quite there yet.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Nr. Congleton, South Cheshire

Hails from United Kingdom

Might you find something similar enought to use from the reference library here on Wet Canvas? All the images there are taken by artists and all permission granted for use as a reference for a painting. I take my hat off to all those who provide the amazing service and I for one would be struggling without it!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Buffalo

Hails from United States

Indeed. It is a wonderful resource and I have been tagged as favorites. If only I had enough time to paint all the paintings I have ideas for.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

This info is all new to me. I really appreciate the info on how to do a search.

Thanx to all of you
greg