WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Art History Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2005, 04:16 AM
American in France

Hails from France
Question Toulouse-Lautrec "Alone"- question

I was able to go to the Musee d'Orsay in Paris this weekend and saw the painting "Alone" by Toulouse- Lautrec. Alone- image

As I examined the painting closely, it appeared that the subject was rather....racy, shall we say. I did an extensive google search last night to see if there was any story or commentary about this painting (and if what I *thought* it depicted was what it actually depicted, although since it is Lautrec, chances are better than average that it is *exactly* what I thought!).

Does anyone have a "backstory" for this painting (or a link or something). Thanks in advance...
Cheryl
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast
Leeds, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Toulouse-Lautrec "Alone"- question

I've been to the Musee d'Orsay twice and I can't recollect seeing the picture - although of course there's so many beautiful works there that you can't see everything.

Toulouse Lautrec was fond of visiting brothels, and he did lots of paintings and drawings based on his experiences in them. I'm not sure that a back story is necessary, as the picture exists of itself.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2005, 03:51 AM
American in France

Hails from France

It was on the same floor as the impressionists, but not with all the Monet/Renoir/Degas- the pastels are in a darkened corner on that same floor/wing, and it's in the series of rooms after that (I want to say with Gauguin/Sisley). I was quite surprised to find a Lautrec there, since most of his stuff had been grouped in a different place.

I wish I could be more specific, but we also visited the Louvre that day and everything is kind of fuzzy in my mind without the maps/brochures/pictures in front of me!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2005, 04:19 AM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

You are definitely correct.. The lady on the bed is almost certainly entertaining herself..

Thank god for the likes of Lautrec who could portray this scene in a way that is beautiful as it is...

Im sure there is no story behind this beyond it being a rather beautiful drawing. My feeling is that Lautrec was probably a client and had simply asked the young lady to pose for him this way.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2005, 04:25 AM
American in France

Hails from France

LOL! I thought that maybe I just had an extremely dirty mind!
Cheryl
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2005, 12:02 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsutrill
LOL! I thought that maybe I just had an extremely dirty mind!
Cheryl

No not at all..........
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast
Heidelberg, Germany

Hails from Germany

From what I know from Toulouse Lautrec, the lady is most probably a prostitute, that takes some time to rest between two "customers", not sure the lady is posing. Toulouse Lautrec himself was a regular "customer", but also considered as a confident by the prostitues of "maisons closes" (borthels). The following painting is another example of the life in "maisons closes": it represents prostitues waiting for the doctor to check them.

http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pimage?46261+0+0

Anne

My Artist Trading Cards gallery
My photos in the Reference Image Library (French alps, cows, a few other places in Europe)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 PM

This is an old thread, but I wanted to share what I know.

This is possibly my favorite piece, when I saw it in person I stared at it for about an hour.

The research I've come across suggests that this is actually a portrait of a friend of his, who was of course a "working girl". It was painted at the end of a very long night, after she returned to her room and collapsed in bed from exhaustion. The title "Alone" (wich is not what he named it) hints at the idea that, after many hours of spreading physical love to all that would have her, she was relegated to pass out in an empty room, without anyone to hold or cherish her or call her own.