WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Alexandria, VA

Hails from United States
An Artist's Musical Dream

It has been said at one point or another “anything is possible”.

It has also been said that “your dreams are what you make of it”.

A line from a famous song declared that “if your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme”.

Where am I going with those? Just this: everyone has a dream. To fulfill their lives with something that they’ve so long wanted to do. To be able to share their talents with the world. To help others see their potential and inspire them along the way.

Such is the case with myself. The only problem in this case is this particular dream is considered unorthodox in the digital age.

My lifelong dream is to create a line of children’s records.

(Cue the sound effects of crickets chirping, followed by a crowd bursting with laughter)

Okay, I know what you’re thinking: "Why? Children’s music is so passè, so unsophisticated, so...well...'child-ish'; nobody buys vinyl anymore; everybody’s downloading nowadays; etcetera, etcetera, etcetera…"

I look at those remarks and say “Why not?”

The heart of the matter is this: since I was 8 years old, I was so much in love with the medium and the genre, that I wanted to have a line of my own. I was determined to write the stories, the songs, and the music, illustrate the covers, have my own logo and design the label. I went so far as to Scotch-tape two pieces of letter-size paper together, write the name of the label in bold letters at the top and at the bottom draw little boxes in three rows and just doodle in each one. (This would indicate the albums that were “available”).

I started collecting children’s records at 13. Over the years I’ve come across a number of labels, from Golden (later Wonderland), Peter Pan and Disneyland to Kid Stuff, Mr. Pickwick and even Hanna-Barbera, and I’ve noticed (even earlier on) that each label have their own versions of many familiar stories and songs, as well as original material, of course, and I’ve come to appreciate a majority of them. However, what stirred my passion even more is that while listening to the music, I would often sing and recite along with the vocalists as if I was among them at the recording booth and contributing my talents, and just wished that I was actually there. The feelings that the music then (especially the ’60′s and early ’70′s) is considered irrelevant, and in some cases politically incorrect, have not been lost on me.

Nevertheless, I still want to do it.

I want to get a bunch of people together…vocalists and instrumentalists (real instruments, folks!) alike and say “Come on! Let’s go down to the studio and cut a record!” Yes, this would mean a great deal of money, but that’s another story. I want to do “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”. I want to do “Puff the Magic Dragon”. I want to do “Sesame Street” songs. “The Wizard of Oz”. Heck, even “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang”!

I want the line to be on par with all those labels that have long since disappeared , but have remained in the minds of so many people of my generation.

It has been reported that vinyl is making a resurgence into the mainstream, as if it had ever left the mainstream altogether (it didn’t), and that younger people have expressed interest in the format, even in the 21st century. Still, there are no guarantees that children’s records in particular would be as popular as most of the other genres out there. I get that. I understand that. On the other hand, I would love more than ever to give it a shot.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 AM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland
Re: An Artist's Musical Dream

In the digital age it is much easier to achieve that dream. You can get reasonably priced editing software for your computor and create the dream on CD or itunes etc. You can market it through many online channels, it doesn't need to be mainstream to be successful there is a wide world out there and most of it available to the internet.

Did Sam Phillips have a great deal of money when creating Sun Records? No, he didn't, he just had a simple mobile recording unit. You can have all that in your computor software. All you need is drive to make the dream a reality, not high finances.

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

I love your passion!!
I relate to your desires... and I think it's a cool thing to bring back the old children's jingles....plus more like them. Vinyl is coming back.... this could be a chance for one generation (or more) to share history with their younger, in a lovely simplified version of today.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Denmark

Hails from Denmark

Whatever other people think of your passion you should pursue it. Just be aware that most others will likely not share this passion. Vinyl is still alive amongst audiophiles so I guess there is a marked for it even within your preferred genre.

By not even trying you'll never know and you may regret this later
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Alexandria, VA

Hails from United States

@ Razzar: I appreciate the comment. It's not so much for the lack of trying...it's the lack of resources. The one thing I personally lack, for the most part, is that of salesmanship. For years I have created books that are ideal for children, but never could get people interested in purchasing them. I have created my own website for the company where people can go and purchase the books (even went so far as to promote them through the social media like Facebook and Twitter), but without much success.

It would take a good marketing person to get the public's attention, but that also takes a good deal of money. I have used one before, but even that hasn't generated interest. I have often joked that it would probably take my having to do something stupid like stripping down to my underwear and post the video on YouTube to get noticed, but it most likely would do more harm than good (unless you're Justin Beiber or a Kardasian).

In short, I'm trying, but it's tough getting yourself out there. Even more so when you're putting out this sort of material.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

One of my lifelong friends is married to a successful children's performer. He's won a JUNO (that's like a Canadian Grammy) and was given the US Parents Choice award as well.
There is a market for children's music. If you want to do it, keep trying.
Maybe you could get some exposure by volunteering at libraries, schools or charity events?