WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast
USA - East Coast

Hails from United States
Just hired! - hoping for a good experience

I've worked as a freelance illustrator for the past 10 years, but the economy is really taking a toll on the business I work for. I haven't had any projects for 3 months, so I've been looking seriously for a job.

I was just hired by Michael's Crafts to work part-time and also to do their Fine Art painting classes, sponsored by Grumbacher. I've been Certified, so I'm waiting for my initial supplies to arrive now.

I'm very excited about this opportunity, and looked online here at wc to see if any others are doing this...and was very disappointed to read the many negative posts.

I do hope my experience will be better. The manager is very excited about my joining them, & everyone has been positive and helpful so far. They have already started taking names & phone numbers of interested students, telling them that they have someone who will be certified soon. And they've already scheduled a demo for me.
LOL, I don't actually start at Michael's till next week!

I've taught at art centers in several regions, and taught kids classes privately years ago. Its always been projects of my own making, and I've enjoyed it. This will be a bit different, as you are given a basic standard projects, but there is room to make it "my own". It might not be "perfect", but I'll give it my best!

Just wanted to post to share my good fortune, & hope to share positive progress reports!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM
PA

Hails from United States
Re: Just hired! - hoping for a good experience

I actually work at a michaels (framing) and am also thinking about teaching the fine art classes there...my store has nobody Don't worry about the negative reviews....it really depends on the store and the employees and if they are supportive in getting customers to sign up. Grumbacher has a instructor facebook page and website you should sign up for to get lesson ideas. Remember to make your classes as basic as possible the people who sign up seem to have absolutely no painting experience but expect miracles.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast
USA - East Coast

Hails from United States

KJ-
I've been going over the Grumbacher website - they do have a lot of great lesson plans & ideas. I used work as a craft project creator for a craft materials manufacturer (best job ever- like kindergarden every day!), so I'm used to dealing with people with no arts experience at all.

They say they'll cross-train me for framing, how do you like it?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 PM
UK

Hails from Northern Ireland

dont work about negativce...go into it with open mind..and make it your own
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 01:38 PM
PA

Hails from United States

I like the production part of framing because every piece is different and i feel like i'm building things. The sales part gets tiring and there are some seriously crazy people...that part of it is like any retail job really. I do get to frame my own stuff for cheap and I'd go broke if I had to pay someone else to do it. what I've learned in the frame shop is invaluable
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Enthusiast
USA - East Coast

Hails from United States

KJ, I was thinking that it would be good to frame my own stuff, too. I learned quite a bit about framing in art school, I'm sure it will come in handy for this part of the job. Its always good to learn things on the job, and somehow they always come in handy later on!
I have my first shift on Wednesday.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 AM
A Local Legend
NW Arkansas

Hails from United States

Pat, how is it going? Great, I hope. Give us an update if you have time.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Enthusiast
USA - East Coast

Hails from United States

Hi, well, its going.....

I had 4 classes this month. 3 were for adults, total 5 people. 1 class for kids with 5 kids... that one was kinda rough. One mom failed to tell us her kids had behavioral problems, and it really affected the class. Will be doing a "make-up" for 1 student, she was so upset by them.

Got a promotion and I'm in the office & not on the floor now. I'm wondering how in the world I'm going to get people signed up for classes.... I got all last month's students by mentioning the classes as they bought art supplies, and the kids were all ones that participated at the 1 demo I did.
Will have to find a solution for this.

but I enjoyed teaching the classes - the adults all seem to get a lot out of the lessons.