WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Painting from the Masters
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:21 PM

For people struggling... (Girl w/ Pearl Earring)

Hello,

A few months ago I purchased some Acrylic paints for my wife who was into art while in high school. She did one painting and kind of forgot about the set. I was bored one day and just messed around with them. I was never really "into art" as I was the computer nerd, logical side of the relationship and wasted my time on video games and sports(if you call cycling a sport).

Anyway I did one little landscape, and s starry night copy. Thought this was fun, and decided to try oil paints. I started following those master painting DVDs and did the apple painting and the color theory lessons. I decided I needed a break and decided to paint girl with a pearl earring, or at least try to.

I was not expecting much and from what you can see below it started off looking like a Disney character. Well I sweated and toiled over this thing for a couple weeks and decided I would photograph my progress. I must say by the end I was surprised.... greatly surprised.

I know it doesn't really look like the original but this is light years ahead of anything I ever thought I could accomplish. If anyone is struggling DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED!!! What helped me was turning the original upside down and and just spending time at looking what the master did. Hopefully this is just the beginning...

Sorry about the white balance in some of those..

-Alex

Last edited by aplanic : 03-03-2012 at 02:33 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:21 PM

Re: For people struggling...

Darn it, one more before image can be uploaded....
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:22 PM

Re: For people struggling...

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 02:42 AM
Lord of the Arts
Living the dream on the Riviera

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: For people struggling... (Girl w/ Pearl Earring)

Congrats on a nice painting, it is well done.
Interesting to see your progress shots and your amendments along the way.

Thanks for sharing.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Dana Design

Well done!!! And now you've caught the artist's bug...painting as much as you can. It is indeed a very, very good version of the original and my advice to you would be to continue painting.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Yes, indeed. You show a great deal of potential. We look forward to seeing more of your work!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I am probably going to finish off the Master Painting DVDs and then try something of my own. In a way I consider what I did by painting TGWPE more a "craft" then art. I think one of the bigger hurdles for me will be to creating something orginal from scratch but for now I am content just to keep on painting anything. I am still trying to get the feel of the brushes and how the paint flows.

The one thing I was curious about was using different types of canvas? I was having difficulty dropping in fine details and I don't know if it was due to using Frederix canvas cardboard or it's just me still learning. Also will the canvas board last or disintegrate in a couple of years?

Thanks again,
-Alex
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

The canvas boards don't disintegrate as much as they bow. You can prevent the bowing by cradling the board. This is pretty easy and cheap to do. And its a good fix for a lovely painting made on a poor support. It just requires an acid free glue, some 2*1 wood strips and a miter saw box. The whole operation will probably run you 15-30 bucks to get set up at home depot, but after that it will be cheap and only the cost of wood to buy further materials to cradle different types of board in the future or to build stretcher bars. You can save tons of money this way especially on larger paintings.

The grain on those canvas boards is rather pronounced, and details are easier to produce on smoother surfaces, you might like buying wooden artists boards with an egg shell finish in the future, some come pre-cradled.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 AM

My favourite painting which you did a wonderful job with. Also appreciated the progress shots, definitely helped this struggling painter.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

It is really good to see all your ugly phases and your perseverance, you kept on going until you have near perfection! Love it. I would have thrown in the towel long before you did, and thats a bit of a lesson to me to keep on going, its just paint after all and I can still get it right if I keep on refining the painting.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2012, 01:15 AM
Montana

Hails from United States

Out standing I'd be very proud also
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Dunedin

Hails from New Zealand

Hi aplanic, your painting is fantastic! Are you following the Learn and Master Painting course of Gayle Levee's? I have it, but have not started the course. I have this really bad habit of buying courses and being too afraid to do them because I exepct to paint like Leonardo from the first stroke! Sad, I know!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allblacks
Hi aplanic, your painting is fantastic! Are you following the Learn and Master Painting course of Gayle Levee's? I have it, but have not started the course. I have this really bad habit of buying courses and being too afraid to do them because I exepct to paint like Leonardo from the first stroke! Sad, I know!

Yes, that is the course I am taking. It helped by just being given goals to work on as she does. Some of the lessons might seems boring but there is a sense of progression (And seeing her paint is MUCH more helpful to me then reading it in a book, of course having a real teacher and class would probably be best). I did desire a break once I finished the color theory lessons and that is when I decided to try my hand at TGWTPE.

-Alex
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Dunedin

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplanic
Yes, that is the course I am taking. It helped by just being given goals to work on as she does. Some of the lessons might seems boring but there is a sense of progression (And seeing her paint is MUCH more helpful to me then reading it in a book, of course having a real teacher and class would probably be best). I did desire a break once I finished the color theory lessons and that is when I decided to try my hand at TGWTPE.

-Alex
Thanks so much Alex. My goodness, I doubt I will be able to paint as well as you after Lesson 13 I agree, it is much better actually seeing someone do the painting than trying to figure it out from a book. Look forward to seeing your next piece! Cheers, Lynnette
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Vermeer is an ambitious project and you have done a splendid job! Thank you so much for the progression pictures. I have a Vermeer to post, also, if I can figure out how to do it without causing a brownout in part of Los Angeles.