WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 AM

Still life (please move to stuctured)

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Still life
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40x40 cm (about 16x16 in)
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Please help me to grow. I can receive any kind of crit :)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is inspired by ref. photo from RIL, but I'm not aim to copy the photo, I'd like to make my own interpretation and learn
something new. You can see the first stage with violet bg and then I changed it to crimson. I'm pretty happy with the pitcher but I stuck with the cup, I want to repaint it into brass mortar with pestle, what do you think? Grapes and the plate need more work, too. I'd like to deepen the shadows but I don't want it to shine, what colour should I use? Any sugestions welcome.

Perfection is boring...

Last edited by dominika : 03-24-2012 at 12:21 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 03:33 AM
A Local Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Still life (please move to stuctured)

couple things that jump out at me ...

compositionally - note how the pitcher is facing outwards - it would be more cosy, more welcoming if it were placed inward, toward the center ... and/or that the handles (cup and pitcher) are both facing the same direction - this helps make the comp look placed, planned for a painting vs naturally occurring. something to think about for the next one.

also noting the cloth wrinkle on the left that's just above the pitcher - it's trying to drape into the pitcher rather than behind it and it'd push it back some. minor shadow/highlight adjustments would fix that.

the wrinkle on the right, behind the cup/saucer is trying to climb the wall vs laying down on the table. again, minor shadow/highlight adjustments would fix that.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

Very different paintings, and mood, just from the different background color, which of course affects all the other colors. I think you transferred the fabric color to other objects quite well. However, the background colors are so primary, so bold, that they dominate the whole painting. The pitcher or cup or grapes can not be your point of interest, because the bold colored background and all the folds take over.

I like the grapes in both. Personally, even though the red one appears softer, it appears harsher to me. I agree with La - the composition is too straight forward with the pitcher exactly in half.

http://www.artallison.com/

Last edited by AllisonR : 03-29-2012 at 01:27 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2012, 01:34 AM

La and Allison,
First of all, I'd like to thank you for spending your time on giving me the feedback. I'm impressed of how much information and accurate observation you can extract from this painting! I haven't noticed this thing before but now I can see that you both are right about composition, color and other things. I have lot to think about before next painting. Thank you

Perfection is boring...