WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
With my new Iwata

I have to brag. I've wanted an Iwata for many years. But they were always too expensive. I then stopped airbrushing and when I started again, I got a few quotes and they were still too expensive. Went for a Badger 105 instead. Last week my timing was right and I managed to pick up an Eclipse when the exchange rate was very good. Still almost $200 in American money. I played with it and it is putting everything I've tried to date to shame. With the stock .35mm setup, I can get smooth hair lines. What I like the most is the instant paint. With the Badger there was a "dead spot" before the paint would flow.

After a few hours of playing, I did this. It's on normal 160gsm card with Com-Art paints. It's only my 3rd portrait and this one is totally free-hand. The size is about A4 (little shorter and wider then Letter). I know proportions are all wrong but it was a 2 minute layout without proper reference.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Enthusiast
birmingham

Hails from England
Re: With my new Iwata

i have scored a few off ebay and the like but fortunatly for me i can now obtain them at full dealer discount which is some 65% under retail,when you then concider they also went through another two distributors from factory prior to my dealer this goes a long way in explaining why Iwata airbrushes are so much more expensive than many other brands even other Japanese brands

Iwata do make good quality items but sadly the antiquated distribution network they use to sell them hypes the price up artificialy ie there are just too many fingers in the Iwata pie ;-)

if you work the maths backwards then the initial factory to primary distribution price probably only acounts for about 10% of the recomended retail price ,taken further back then the actual material and productions cost would be even lower than that

with other manufacturers dealers and even consumers can often buy direct from factory ,hence it doesnt always mean that cheaper is inferior or expensive superior

Paul

Last edited by jumpforjoy61 : 01-21-2012 at 06:52 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Enthusiast
birmingham

Hails from England

all that apart i love the artwork you did with your Iwata ,very individual looking and original

Paul
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2012, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
SanDiego,Ca

Hails from United States

Nice looking piece.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Digital Universe

I like it. Thanks for sharing!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Quebec

Hails from Canada

I think it's beautiful!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Macomb Illinois

Hails from United States

nice rendering AndreZA.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 AM

Nice work. I agree that putting the money down for an Iwata is well worth the investment. I just haven't found any other brand that works as well or is as reliable as Iwata (with the one exception of the now-defunct Olympos, but thats a whole other thread).

I always have to chuckle a bit when people on certain forums are absoluetly convinced that whatever chearer brand they're using is "just as good as" an Iwata, despite never having actually used one for a real comparision.

Just wait until you get a chance to use a micron. That'll really blow you mind. lol.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 03:47 AM
Enthusiast
Istanbul-Turkey

Hails from Turkey

Hi Andrea and everyone,

First of all, I liked your portrait and good to hear a talented artist getting back to airbrushing again. This is my impression after seeing your freehand painting here.

As it comes to Iwata prices, this is a hot topic for me. After many years I was glad to find an Iwata dealer in my country, but heck ...yesterday I asked for a quote for a Kustom Hi-line CH It was almost 3 three times higher than the listing price....I wrote to a place in UK for them to give me a pricing, but unfortunately they cannot sell to Turkey because of their agreement with Iwata.... The dealer here gets these brushes from Italy (Anest/Morris Esteky-the region distrubutor), so he's (Aras Bolayir) the 3rd step in line. But still how it gets so expensive is not understandable. I don't think I'll phone them again as I belive it will be a total waste.....I don't think they can sell them around here with such attitude....

If you can give me any tips about how to get a normal list-price Iwata I'll be grateful. Paul, you always have ideas on issues as such, drop me a few lines if you want...

Cheers,

Can

http://airbrushoptic.blogspot.com/

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Wayland MI

Hails from United States

Can,
If you are an E-bayer, you can get the airbrush you want for $250 which includes shipping to Turkey. Here is a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Iwata-Ma...efd 6de5#shId

I am not claiming to know these people, but I bought mine on Ebay.

Pat
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast
Istanbul-Turkey

Hails from Turkey

Dear Pat,

Thank you for the link. I ordered one from them, and now waiting for its arrival impatiently (they say 2-6 weeks), they charged a little for shipping, I am curious if my country will apply any custom duty on it.

Cheers,

Can

http://airbrushoptic.blogspot.com/