WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Long Beach, California

Hails from United States
Cool Re: Classes, Open Studios where artists can work from life

I only discovered ArtModelAndrew's directory about a year ago.. and I'd definitely suggest you check it out for US & Canada workshops. Or sign up at the Art Model Place. Its like this thread put into a devoted community format for artists, plus direct access to models to hire for workshops. What do you think?
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Denver, CO

Hails from United States
Re: Classes, Open Studios where artists can work from life

More for Maine, USA

Bowdoinham has painting from life every Tuesday and drawing from life every Wed. I can put folks in touch with the organizer if you're interested.

Freeport Maine, at the Freeport Square Gallery has life drawing every Wed night.

RiverArts in Damariscotta Maine has life drawing every Wed as well.

Nancy
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States

Lots of sessions in Chicago, ones i've been to are starred: My favorites are P&C, TOJO, and the Drawing Workshop

*palette and chisel www.paletteandchisel.org
1012 N Dearborn
sessions every day
$10

*JK Chicago
1800 W Cuyler Avenue
Sunday 11a-2p
$10

Galaxie
2603W Barry
Sat 9:30-12:30
$15

*Lincoln Perk
612 W Wrightwood
Wed 7-10p
$10

*TOJO Gallery
1418 W Division
Tues & Thursday 7-9:30p
$10

*University of Chicago
5801 S Ellis
Cobb Hall, Rm 403
Tues 6-9p
$10

*Drawing Workshop
4410 N Ravenswood
Sun 10:30-1:30
Wed 6:30-9:30
$15

Tom Robinson Studio
2416 W North Avenue
Sun 1-4p
$20

Flat Iron
1579 N Milwaukee
Sat 9:45-12:45p
Mon 7-9p
$10
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

I dont know if this has been submitted. I havent been to any of the sessions though some seem interesting

http://www.lifedrawingsociety.co.uk/
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Michigan

Hails from United States
United States: mid-Michigan

Some figure drawing opportunities in mid-Michigan:

Livingston Arts Council Open Studio
The Opera House
123 W. Grand River, Howell, MI 48844
Please use Walnut Street entrance.
Tuesdays, Noon-3:00 PM. Model fee: $10. Nude and draped models. No instruction. Tables and chairs available.

Life Drawing with Joy Schroeder
Anselmo Gallery, Meridian Mall
1982 W. Grand River Avenue, Okemos, MI 48864
Mondays, 6:30 - 9:00 PM. Model fee $5. Nude models. No instruction. Tables and chairs available.

Also, the Ann Arbor Art Center has open figure drawing sessions, usually on Friday and Sunday, in addition to instructor-lead classes. Look on the current course schedule for dates and times.

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
  #111   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Another for Sydney
Ku-ring-gai Art Centre at Recreation Ave (behind Roseville Ladies College) has guided classes throughout the year. Nine 3-hr sessions for about $155.
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Dulwich, London, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Angry Re: Classes, Open Studios where artists can work from life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britrail
The Thomas Calton Centre in Choumert Road,Peckham South East London, has a life group meet every Thursday afternoon 12 till 3.00 and Saturday morning 10.00 till 1.00. fees are very reasonable. Long 2-3 week poses.
No longer available.

from London, England:
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Dulwich, London, England

New life painting sessions in Dulwich South east London.

Wednesdays from 12.30pm until 3.30pm. Cost £10 per session. Location: The old Scout Hut, Greendale, Dulwich SE21

The Dulwich Art Group organises life drawing and painting sessions which are open to people of all abilities. With no tutor, artists are free to pursue their own approach to painting or drawing. A pose is usually set for a period of three weeks, each weekly session runs for three hours and there is a break in the middle for tea, coffee and biscuits.

Each session is paid for on the day allowing flexibility, you don’t have to commit to a whole term for example. In fact we run throughout the year and stay open through the holidays too.

Please note however that we are closed from the last Saturday session on the 13th August until Saturday 3rd September when we restart with a new model. Wednesday groups start again on the 7th September.

The club is run by artists for artists and at £10 it is very good value compared to council run courses. The open structure is also a point of difference that many people find appealing.

The timing of the group allows those with school age children to attend, some members slip away a few minutes early if they have to pick up at 3.30pm.
Every Wednesday afternoon 12.30 till 3.30

from London, England:
  #114   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Dulwich, London, England

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Classes, Open Studios where artists can work from life

The Strand Studio Club
All are welcome to join our friendly and informal life painting group held every Saturday except Bank Holidays. These untutored sessions are angled toward life painting with a single pose running over 2 to 4 weeks. Not everyone paints, some draw
Who are we?

We are a group of artists who see painting and drawing from life as one of the fundamental elements in the creative process. Some of us are professional painters and artists, others mere designers or photographers, some are starting out others are close to checking out! We take this stuff seriously but never too seriously. We are always open to new members, people move on, and some of us can only make it some of the time.

There is no tutor as such although if you want an opinion about your work it’ll be easy to solicit – some of our more mature members have endless experience of the arts, painting and drawing and have been professional educators. Learning seems to occur through observation and osmosis, being around others who love painting and drawing, young or old seems to do the trick.
Saturday Mornings 10.00am -1.00pm

£10 per session includes free tea or coffee and biscuits at half-time break!
We use an old Sea Scout Hut which belongs to JAGS The premises are excellent and the space is a good size and warm and airy, and for our use only on a Saturday and Wednesday mornings.
Lighting
Natural light is offered by the windows mainly along one side. Additional studio lighting allows us to light the model as desired and achieve good definition.
Materials
Our artists bring their own materials, including a jar of their preferred brush cleaning mixture as the sink in the kitchen cannot be used for this purpose.
Equipment
We are happy to be able to offer easels and boards to our artists, and on the whole there are plenty to go round. We are always interested in further equipment to assist in posing the model. We do have a podium but lack interesting and pleasingly designed chairs and stools, so let us know if you have access to any such things. And drapes – we could really use any old curtains or drapes that you may be chucking out – all adds variety and colour!
Club Fees
The sessions are three hours long from 10am until 1pm. Each session includes free fresh coffee and biscuits at the main break.
The fees are modestly priced with a trial session at £8 and then £10 thereafter.
Wednesday 12.30pm – 3.30pm

This is a new venture for us – the Wednesday afternoon slot has been fun so far and follows a similar format – more info on the Dulwich Art Group Website

from London, England:
  #115   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Hails from Scotland
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Classes, Open Studios where artists can work from life

I've been busy since I last posted trying to find work and classes around Cumbria. There are plenty, it's just finding where they are! Since I started modelling for a few, as well as drawing, and now teaching, I thought I'd start a blog to get all the information I collected in one place on T'interweb. http://cumbrialifeclasses.wordpress.com/
This has details of a few ongoing as well as forthcoming classes in the county.
  #116   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Enthusiast
in the kitchen

Hails from United States

Would anyone have any input about life drawing in Longmont Colorado? I would be very interested in joining up. I recently moved from Iowa and am wanting to get back into it.

I did see the previous post about a group in Boulder and emailed them, but never got a reply, but Boulder would be an acceptable option as well.

Thanks for any input.

Women and cats do as they please, men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  #117   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

A good resource for local artists Gajira, well done Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.
  #118   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 07:16 AM

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman
A good resource for local artists Gajira, well done Dave

Cheers. It's an uphill battle getting people round here to use the internet sometimes though!
  #119   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Sweden

Sweden, Lund. Galleri Pictura @ Wrangelhuset. Drawing sessions from 6 pm to 21 pm every Wednesday. Male and female nude models. The lighting situation is very bad though, no form shadows at all, the models are flooded with huge amounts of incandescent light from every direction. In fact, the lightning is so abysmal I've given up on this class. It's better to draw from photos...
  #120   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 AM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

OTTAWA, Ontario, Canada:

Without checking out the thread to see if there is already something posted up, I am posting to let people know that I think Ottawa must be one of the best cities (considering its size) for finding open life drawing sessions; many being ones you can drop in and pay-as-you attend at.

I don't yet have a detailed list, but here is a rough one:

Nepean Visual Arts Centre @ Nepean Sportsplex (west end, kind of south; City of Ottawa):
Tuesday morning, Thursday morning, Sunday morning; Sept.-June
Wednesday morning: portraiture studio; same model for 3 weeks; runs all year

Portrait/ Figure Studio @ Crichton Cultural Community Centre (east: New Edinburgh)
Wednesday morning: portrait, with figure draped or undraped; same model for one or two sessions

Sandy Hill Community Centre (central):
Wednesday evenings -- best price in town! Runs all year

The Bottom Line @ McNabb Community Centre (central):
Friday: morning and afternoon; different model for each; morning: quicker poses; afternoon: longer poses; Sept. - June

Atelier Denu @ Arts Building, University of Ottawa (central):
Friday evenings

There are also Figure workshops with no instructor at the Ottawa School of Art, which would require a registration & model fee. Check out the website: www.artottawa.ca

There are also some by-invitation-only groups in Ottawa.

Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School @ Mercury Lounge, Byward Market (central):
last Monday of the month; 7 - 9:30 pm; $10. Different theme every month.. and prizes! Burlesque, clothed... though less clothes as the night and poses progress.

... if I come accross some more, I'll post them!