WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast
Miami,FL

Hails from United States
Question Color(s) suggestions

Which color(s) will the recommended for using on the skin of Indian people(portraits)???

Bob
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Longmont, Colorado

Hails from Brazil
Re: Color(s) suggestions

Do you mean people from India? or Native Americans? I don't know about either specifically... raw sienna, quinacridone burnt orange (rust) and ultramarine blue come to mind.
Mary Whyte says she does most of her portraits, of a wide range of skin color, with very few colors, mostly MG raw sienna, quinacridone rose and ultramarine blue, with some burnt sienna, and cobalt blue and hookers green added sometimes.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Nr Bath, United Kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom

HI Robert. As you know I follow Charles Reids basic formula of Cadmium Red Light or Pale, Cadmium Yellow Light, and Cerulean or Ultramarine to darken. However my Indian portraits were criticized by my good friend Happhoto as `too pink' . In order to get the required darkness and bronzed appearance I've turned to Quinadicrone Rust (PO48) Graham and also some Burnt Umber, but I suspect the latter is inclined to dirty the colours so has to be used with caution. We recently had an exercise at my Avon Valley Art Group of only using two tubes or pans (not colours). The restriction was to stop backsliders from using say three yellows and three reds! I selected Indigo (Daniel Smith) and Quinacridone Rust (Graham) and the result worked quite well based as it is on the old black and white photos of Edward Curtis that have extreme contrast. I'm not claiming it is brilliant but perhaps points the way. In any event the resulting painting will appear on my blog sometime in the next few days.

Peter

"The Watercolour Log"
www.watercolourfanatic.blogspot.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast
Miami,FL

Hails from United States
Post Re: Color(s) suggestions

Marcio,yes,from India,no native Americans.
Hi Peter,I'll be looking forward to your new post on your blog.
I have the latest Mary Whyte book,duh,I should have perused through it before posting the question.I have to look at it.
I want to start with portraiture instead that with landscapes,these can wait.
Thank you both for the suggestions.I'll probably post in the appropriate forum the steps of the first portrait and the final result.Let's see.I plant to start it tomorrow.
Cheers,

Bob
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Nr Bath, United Kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Robert. Sorry I thought you meant Amerindians . If you look at the section on portraits and skin colours in Charles Reids `Watercolour Solutions' he lists all the colours he uses which cover every skin type. Having seen him at work many times he does improvise as he goes along and isn't dogmatic. It does seem though that there are a wide range of different mixes used by Portrait artists. Trial and Error maybe!

Peter

"The Watercolour Log"
www.watercolourfanatic.blogspot.com/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
hindley nr wigan lancashire uk

Hails from England

one feels awed in such company ,.to even give reply but,
""my choice of background ,, can change a skin colour..,.often I will think of the background values a head ,and start with a light skin tone,,, if ,using watercolour say. it would be a very thin wash of umber ,with the lightest touch of madder adding the cool tones at a later stage
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 09:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

...just my 2 cents worth...

Caucasian skin has cooler tones, i.e. reds that have a blue bias, yellows that are more neutral and, of course, the blues themselves for shadowing. I always mix my colours and then paint them right onto my arm... if I can't see the paint, then I think I have it pretty close to what I need...

Darker skin toned people tend to have warmer hues... reds that have an oranger bias along with warmer yellows and greens as shadowing colours.

And, I agree with Peter that trial and error is a great way to figure out what you need... make up recipe cards with your test mixes and take notes! Good luck with this and please share your results...

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies

Last edited by CharM : 03-24-2012 at 09:50 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Enthusiast
Miami,FL

Hails from United States

Then trial and error will be.

Bob
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
A Local Legend
Windswept Prairieland

Hails from United States

Missed this one.

Azo Yellow (cobalt), Napthol Red, and UM blue. Adding more or less yellow as you need to for any one portrait. It makes a WONDERFUL deep skin tone.
I use MGraham in this color range. If you want me to snatch the pigment numbers off the tubes for a match, just let me know Bob.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast
Miami,FL

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WthrLady
Missed this one.

Azo Yellow (cobalt), Napthol Red, and UM blue. Adding more or less yellow as you need to for any one portrait. It makes a WONDERFUL deep skin tone.
I use MGraham in this color range. If you want me to snatch the pigment numbers off the tubes for a match, just let me know Bob.
Thank you Caryl.As of now I have only White Nights pans(Yarka)and was a pain to organize them on the tin palettes.I made a color chart to know which color is where,but without names or pigment info.I have to do it in a trial and error basis until I can afford to purchase M.Graham tubes(my favorites so far).
I will write the "recipe" for future reference.
Thanks a lot.

Bob
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 AM

Thumbs up Re: Color(s) suggestions

You are great!!!
WthrLady choose those colors are nice
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Lord of the Arts
Longmont, Colorado

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobar57
Thank you Caryl.As of now I have only White Nights pans(Yarka)and was a pain to organize them on the tin palettes.I made a color chart to know which color is where,but without names or pigment info.I have to do it in a trial and error basis until I can afford to purchase M.Graham tubes(my favorites so far).
I will write the "recipe" for future reference.
Thanks a lot.

Bob
Bob, in case you don't have the information on the pigments used and their characteristics, I found their website lists them under each color, at:
http://www.stpetersburgwatercolours....?idCategory=30