WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Northern California

Hails from United States
Red face Help! Seeking large mandrels, New to the life of glass! :)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and have really been enjoying the wealth of information you all provide- It's really been great learning all the new tips and tricks. Well, new to ME anyway!

I've been looking for a huge mandrel as I would like to make Guitar Slides- Someone at one of the more well known glass suppliers sold me a graphite rod, but as you all probably already knew, and I was soon to find out, this is not something I can make a slide on. (What DO I do with a 3/4 graphite rod?)

Needless to say, I'm still hunting for a large enough mandrel (or set of 3 if the glass gods smile upon me!) I'd like a 3/4, a 1" and maybe ever a 1.25" mandrel- the trick is, the mandrel part needs to be probably about 5 inches long and the slides need to be about 3 inches long. I've scoured the net (see it gleam!) and haven't found an answer. Anyone out there have any ideas, or (gasp!) the ability to make one? Thank you so much in advance for any info you may have. And thanks again for all of the wonderful information!!!

Jennai
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast
Near Bethlehem PA

Hails from United States
Re: Help! Seeking large mandrels, New to the life of glass! :)

Hi Jennai. I am not a beader so hopefully one of the others who does beading work will chime in. I do off hand glass blowing so my knowledge of bead work is sketchy.
The graphite is very useful to us as the glass does not stick to it. It can be used to shape the glass by twisting glass around it, using it to push or indent the glass, or to form nice round holes. We also use them in certain tools to open bowl and vase shapes. Once warm the graphite also leaves very few marks on the glass. We treat graphite like our wooden tools - meant to shape glass but not to be in constant contact.

As to a mandrel you can get short pieces of cold rolled steel or stainless steel from several online suppliers in the sizes you mentioned. Here are a few links to places that sell short pieces:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#

http://www.speedymetals.com/

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Now a few issues that I can see. First a mandrel of one inch diameter by say a foot long is gonna get heavy. Second I am not sure how easy it is going to be to get your bead to release. If it were me I would probably use steel pipe (black not galvanized) and I would polish the outside to make it smooth. I also would probably turn a slight taper on the pipe so that the bead would release easier.

Just my two cents.

Carlos
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 PM
A Local Legend
Beautiful Colorado

Hails from United States

Just a thought.... buy some pyrex tubing in the diameter that you want, cut and fire polish both ends.... easy. peasy... :-)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:57 AM
Enthusiast
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Soounds you're looking to make like a 3 or 4 " long tube with a 3/4" diameter hole. I dig the pyrex tube idea. You could even flare the ends. There's allways the cut the neck off a bottle idea too. Seems I've slides like that.

I'll give a shout out for speedy metals I use them for mandrels, and I've used mcmaster carr for other stuff. Look for stainless steel tubing to keep the weight down. Also, if you can weld, you can just weld a section of tubing to a slimmer rod/handle for turning.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Northern California

Hails from United States

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for the replies! I'm sorry I took so long to respond. It's been a bit hectic over here, to say the least!

As far as the pyrex tubing- I can buy clear guitar slides, I want to make them. Pretty colors, dichroic glass, etc Maybe I misunderstand, but I don't think I can use pyrex glass as a manfdrel- or can I? I'm using a HH torch.

My dad can weld, so her can add a handle for me to a stainless piece- Thank you so much for the sources!!!!!

Jennai
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Woman
Just a thought.... buy some pyrex tubing in the diameter that you want, cut and fire polish both ends.... easy. peasy... :-)

Yep- we've done this before and it worked great.