WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Today's Montage from Life Drawing

More experimentation today.... I learned a lot from this one in so many ways, so I'm looking forward to things I can do to make a stronger piece the next time around. This is 16x20", acrylic on sealed archival drawing board that I prepared in advance with some dripped and sprayed interference colors on the black board. Poses ranged from 30 seconds to 20 minutes. I did the entire session on a single board, so it's all here --- good and bad . In any case, it sure was fun!

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 03-14-2012 at 10:07 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 04:21 AM
A Local Legend
EUROPE

Hails from Austria
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Today's Montage from Life Drawing

http://www.miklavcic.co.at/aquarelle...cape/index.htm
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 04:52 AM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France
Re: Today's Montage from Life Drawing

Great job Jamie I like the composition and colors
Robert

Robert loves arts animals and CATS...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana, US

Hails from United States

If I take off my glasses and just look at the arrangement of colors, I can see the value pattern and thrusts of color. That's good. Also good is the fact that you have the two figures on the right facing in and one on the left pushing in. I wanted to flip the two yellow figures so they were facing in as well. It looks like your model wasn't thinking about changing the direction she was facing, so you didn't have any choice but to make all but two face left. This isn't a big bother, and you have overlapped well. It's just a thought about arranging the figures for the next one.

Keep up the good work.

Kate
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Immortalized

this is such a great creative idea. If I was going to suggest something, i would try to get the colorsof the figures. to be less competing. Use a split complementary against the dark background. also the canting of the orange figure is very effective next to the more upright red figures. more poses in different planes would add interest.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Immortalized

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Today's Montage from Life Drawing

dup, ha.

Last edited by wandathefish : 03-15-2012 at 09:55 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Tuvalu

Looks good and it has a feeling of depth to it as well
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Thanks so much for all your support.

Kate, the model was changing direction, but I was way off to one side. One thing I could have done would have been to do some figure crops of body parts to change the direction of motion, but I decided not to. I waited till pretty near the end, hoping for some right-facing poses to pop into the left side, so it's not as if I wasn't thinking about that; but it just didn't happen. Perhaps next time I'll try to get a spot in the center of the room instead. I chose the right side of the room because it was near the sink! Of course in open studio we have to take whatever poses we get. This makes the whole montage idea a real crap shoot, but I'm okay with that. I go in with the idea that it's just drawing practice, and try to make the most of it and have a good time.

Wanda, the idea behind the color scheme was to work cool to warm, so the very quick 30 second poses were blues and violets that merge more into the background, since cool colors recede, and more or less provide a background color/texture for the longer poses (three minutes and up). Then the warmer colors (actually analogous --- orange, yellow and red) would come forward and overlap each other and the cooler colors in the layers below. I will definitely be trying some different color ideas as time goes on. I think the color contrasts are necessary to promote the layering.....We'll see where this goes. In some ways, I don't think it's as effective as the last one I did. I think this new one actually has too much going on, and I'd be better off doing two of them, rather than cramming all the poses into one, unless I move to a different ratio. This one is 4:5 (16x20). I think something like 5:8 might be better. If I could have spread these out to give a little more breathing room, it would be a big improvement. There is nowhere for the eye to rest, and that's what bothers me about it the most.

Last edited by JamieWG : 03-16-2012 at 10:40 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Surrey, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Jamie, it has some interesting sections but I'd agree that it looks a bit too busy (when compared with last weeks). Again my favourite is the orange figure. Not sure about the white edges though. Looks like fun.

Blog Gallery
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:43 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes
Jamie, it has some interesting sections but I'd agree that it looks a bit too busy (when compared with last weeks). Again my favourite is the orange figure. Not sure about the white edges though. Looks like fun.

Interesting! In this montage, the orange figure is my least favorite. The white edges are actually gold, dripped acrylic paint. But those iridescent and interference colors never show correctly in a photo, unfortunately. After doing another montage this past Sunday (I haven't photographed it yet), I'm thinking that it's really too many poses for me to ever be happy! There are always going to be one or two that bug the heck out of me (or more!). So I'm going to use the same techniques and switch gears a bit for the next round. Temperatures are going up to the 80s this week for an unexpected March blast of summer, so it might be a couple of weeks before I'm back to life drawing --- must get some landscapes done.

Jamie
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Creative--yes--differant---yes,, I like what your doin --keep it up.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Hawkesbury, west of Sydney

Hails from Australia

Jamie, a demonstration of what to do if you only bring one sheet of paper...multicoloured Montage is certainly a way to make an interesting pic, and has a lot of potential for future innovative creations

Mac
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Ottawa, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I really like the concept here. It's a very creative and unique way of approaching a life drawing session. For me, the most challenging thing would be trying to anticipate the final composition, given that you don't know what the next pose will be. It's the luck of the draw! (bad pun)

I like it a lot, well done!