WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Larry Seiler
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: Mar 6 elements of design assignment- share studies here

Thanks so much Larry. This was very helpful. I forget how helpful the use of our thumb can be in changing a composition. I did notice how the limb drew the up and around as well as down toward the log taking us over to the artist. What impressed me was how he used those limbs and all the negative shapes to create such interest yet not take way from the strength of the figure. It also amazes me how none of the patterning is overwhelming but creates a cohesive look to the whole and is balanced out by the very dark restful areas. Not sure I'm saying all that right but hope you get my meaning.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

Van Goghís Cypress and Two Women 1890

- Clouds ziz-zag back and forth across the sky, the clouds themselves formed of wiggly/squiggly brush strokes which are repeated in the tree and foliage. A squiggly froth of earthy and amber colored foliage cup the two women in the shadow of the tree which acts as negative space beneath oyster clouds in an aquamarine sky. This squiggly repetition unifies the painting, and the womenís skirts repeat the oyster colors and brushstrokes of the cloud in the far upper left. The darker area in the sky in the upper right forms a frame and keeps the eye from leaving the canvas.

- There is a sharp contrast of dark, drab greens against the sky.

- It is Angular:

- It is also L shape and circular:

- The figures, light against dark, act as the fulcrum with the building to the left pressing down and the bushes on the far right pushing up.

- The distance is shown as much darker than the foreground, and the yellows are nice and strong in the midground.

- Spots of red draw the eye up, they also serve to unify.

- Also note to the left of the building are horizontal lines/brush strokes between the cypress trees, below this is a yellow patch shaped like a simple arrow. All serve to point the eye back into the painting and at the two women.

Iím pretty sure Iíve missed some things, and the more I look at it the more I canít help but think itís a take on Botticelliís Birth of VenusÖnot that I could ever prove itÖ.but I keep seeing things in it. Sky thatís an oyster shell, tree shaped like Horus, face in the upper right sky looking like it might be blowing wind, two women that might be Venus and Horus, clouds that look like flowing hair as well as clam shellsÖ..faces and figures in the squiggles in the treeÖ..at first I thought it was because I usually only get to do this when Iím tired, but Iím not that tired now and I still see it, and I see it every time. Weird, just weird...yeah I'm probably nuts.

Larry, Loved your Impressionist painting.

Last edited by libby2 : 03-15-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: typos
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

This is a fantastic break down of Van Gogh's work here, Libby. Thus far in the number of years I've taught breaking work down...deciphering the movement of the eye and the visual balance, I have to give it to you for doing the more thorough effort and analysis. It does the heart good as a teacher!!!

I find it interesting that the two figures are directly beneath the point of the tree...and dividing the canvas in half. Ordinarily this would be a no no!

the tree's girth creating a diagonal so wide going out of the picture to the right..the village going off to the left...interesting factors to create asymmetry and variation...
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

Ah! Did not see that! It bothered me that they were where they were, but I didn't draw the line, I'll do it next time.

I'm learning lots from these exercises. Thanks for putting them up for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySeiler
This is a fantastic break down of Van Gogh's work here, Libby. Thus far in the number of years I've taught breaking work down...deciphering the movement of the eye and the visual balance, I have to give it to you for doing the more thorough effort and analysis. It does the heart good as a teacher!!!

I find it interesting that the two figures are directly beneath the point of the tree...and dividing the canvas in half. Ordinarily this would be a no no!

the tree's girth creating a diagonal so wide going out of the picture to the right..the village going off to the left...interesting factors to create asymmetry and variation...
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

A lot's been going on lately so I've been low on time, but I was able to get this one done.

Sargentís Two Women Asleep in a Punt under the Willows 1887

This painting is of two women floating in a boat on a summers day, nestled together, their white skirts glowing, they are sandwiched between two bright red bars that form the boats structure. The upper bodies of the women, including the hat of the woman on the right form a triangle pointing north, a bright red circle is near the center of the triangle, the bosom of the woman on the right is pale green, the shoulder of the woman on the left is lavender, the hat is a warm soft straw. These colors are repeated throughout the painting, but this is the center, the heart. Notice how the red behind the womenís head forms an arrow from the left to the right with a flat line that stops it from running away. The side of the boat on the right, the log itís resting against and the reflection all point up towards the upper right corner. The water points to the upper right corner. What keeps the eye from leaving the canvas is the shore line and the tree trunk. The leaves on the tree on the upper left are heavy enough to weigh the eye back down to the boat by where the womenís feet lay.

Thereís also some funny business going on in the waterís surface next to the the boatís reflection but I canít figure out what it isÖ. maybe itís just leading the eye up and around the boatÖ. not sure.

The boat itself is an arrow.

The little bit of change of texture and color in the lower left corner is what keeps the eye from falling out of the picture, like a little plug of color, a little blip: stop.

Itís a circular design. Note how the foliage on the lower right leads the eye up to the tree trunk, which guides up and over to the willow branches that arch down onto the boat, where the shadows further guide the eye across the bottom of the painting back to the starting point.

Thereís a lot of repetition going on too, from the shape of the boat being repeated in the shape of the water, and the faint purple line as indicated by the green arrows. More boat shapes in the water shadow pointed out by the aqua arrows. Repetition of red abound in the upper left area as well.

Itís a high contrast painting, the center is brilliant light surrounded by dark, surrounded by some light with more darkÖa little bit of a bulls-eye effect.

I love how heís put peaches against lavenders, and done the whites of the skirts. Oh, and the boat isnít bad either!