WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States
Re: Stitch in Time March 2012

Sigrun...an exhibition already! Too cool. I'm not familiar with that show in Santa Fe, I'll google it. If you do come to one let me know, we'll go for Margaritas, my treat! I bought a bottle of Icelandic vodka yesterday, The Man spotted it and pointed it out, so we said why not. So next time I do Bloody Mary's I will toast to you.

Eva, I like the lace on the bottom of that skirt, the doll is so over the top her dress should be too.

I didn't mean to offend Debby, I thought all this clothing stuff was stressing you. I'd probably drive 200 miles and have a fun day shopping before I'd ever think of sewing lingerie, but to each his own. I forget everyone isn't as keen on roadtrips as I am.

I finally hung the pot rack, and got all my pots up on it. Too many pots for my lifestyle these days I'm sure, but I have collected them for a long time many were gifts, and they are lovely hanging on the rack. The rack is very cool, it's a stylized lotus, my son made for me. It isn't in the kitchen but just outside the door in my studio, a campy kitsch touch to the studio no doubt. Now I have room, I moved other things around to make for a better flow, and of course had to play with cabinets to see how I wanted things sans pots.

So the studio is functional...I think I'll go paint my first picture in it!
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

Debby I am glad you are taking the sewing easy. I can not be rushed when sewing otherwise it will never be done Have fun

Eva lovely little angel doll

Margo you are on!

We took the rugs to the shop this morning met with the owners and the curatiors for the exhibition.......

and

They all loved our rugs We are so releived PEW !!!!!!!!!!!! now everything will be ok.. going back to morrow to help them with the last touches....

Cheers !!!
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 02:53 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Sigrun, I had no doubts that they would like your rugs. They are all beautiful.

Can't seem to get started today. I have so much to do and can't seem to even get out of the chair. I hope this feeling goes away soon.
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

yippie for Sigrun's rugs not that I had a single doubt they would be well received, they are stellar!

Eva dear, maybe it's just time for a day off! So funny people with 9-5 jobs would be incensed if they didn't get 2 days off a week, but those of us who are self employed or artists, seem to forget we deserve one and that we actually need one occasionally.

I'm feeling much better, there was big wind yesterday along with a little rain and snow, maybe it knocked the pollen back a bit. I'm hanging some more of my art today, attempting to maximize what small bits of wall I have. This will require a trip to town and Lowe's to get a step stool type ladder, the only one around is a tall ladder difficult to get into the space available where I want to hang. I have meant to get one of these for a while, but decided to wait until I couldn't do what I needed to any other way, that day has arrived. It already looks much better, which improves my mood a hundred fold!
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, what a precious angel doll. Sorry you are having an off day. Take the day off. I think Margo is right, when you are self-employed or an artist, you lose track of the fact that you need some down time now and then.

Margo, no offense, just the facts that a trip to a city is not on my list of things I like to do. There's a reason I live in the tiny rural town. I have most of what I need close by, but without the traffic and almost claustrophobic feel of a huge city. I've been to Spokane clothing shopping a couple of years ago. Got lost, DH got stressed out driving around being lost. Once I got there I ended up trying on a bazillion clothes only to find 1 pair of pants that were acceptable and one top. So not worth it. And since I was wearing the largest RTW size available at the time and have, unfortunately, gained weight since, I would most likely not find anything anyway. So happy to hear you have your studio mostly functional. It's great to have your personal space just how you want it. Glad you are feeling better too.

Sigrun, don't know why you were worried. Your rugs are wonderful. You'll be flooded with orders in no time. Just take care of the back.

I finished drafting the pants back pattern. The front pattern is on the table being worked on today. Slow and steady. So, y'all know I went gluten free in January. I'm actually feeling much better more often. So, I think there is some sensitivity on my part. But, I do so miss bread. I've tried making biscuits several different ways. Hard and dry and blech. As were the cookies I tried. Today I ran across a flat bread recipe that's supposed to be soft and pliable so I could make a wrap with it. Only thing was there was a couple tablespoons of powdered milk in it. Hmm... can't do dairy... I threw an egg in instead and reduced the liquid in the recipe. It's so good! DH thought it smelled good and took some to make a sandwich before it had cooled. He liked it too and asked if I'd make some more. I finally have a winner. Bread stuff I can eat. It didn't take long to make or bake. Less than half an hour total. *happy dance*

And, I've taken a step into fixing the bra issue. I called the company that had a comfy looking one. Their website said it hadn't been updated since 2009. But, they answered the 800 number and said that they update their site weekly. Anyway, I'll be having a custom one made and sent to me with the option to return it if I don't like it. Can't beat that. Pricey, but no long trips with an uncertain outcome.

The sun has come out after 3 or 4 days of clouds. I'm going to go take a walk with my sweety.
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

I did get moving a little today. Got the stain on the rocking horse and waiting for it to dry so that I can poly it. It needs to be shiny. Also threw in a load of laundry and somewhere a sock of John's and a doll sock disappeared. I can see the doll sock disappearing because it is tiny but a cotton white men's sock. Hummmmmm.

Time to go check on the horse and see if it is dry yet. It is outside in the sun and I really want to get that project out of the way.
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Well yippie for crackers you can make easy and eat Debby! And a place to custom make and send lingerie, now that is just cool. I get over enthusiastic about shopping and roadtrips and finding new cool stores, so forgive me, it's just the way I'm wired. One lovely thing about drafting patterns is once they fit you can use them again and again, and you know what needs altering if anything changes. I made 150 shirts off of the same pattern just altering the sleeve lenght changing the exterior part of the yoke, changing up the collar, and none of those changes took very drastic changes. Once the changes to pattern are done you can just mindlessly sew cause you are so used to using that pattern you could do it in you sleep. I have several skirt patterns that I drafted and use over and over changing up this or that, adding some trim etc and they are all radically different looking and always fit. It's a beautiful thing. I don't know if they are still a good store but I imagine they are being in Quilt Usa, Hancock's of Paducah (as in Kentucky) has a most amazing range of fabrics all orderable over the phone, and they regularly have major sales on cutting tools both scissors and rotary cutters and blades, I used to order tons of stuff from them, I'm thinking cotton lawn for pretty nightgowns here, but any other number of things. When I worked on some kind of quilt every day I ordered lots of fabric from online sources, lots of that fabric is lovely for clothing too, and lots more interesting than Joann's usually has. I can't for the life of me think of my favorite, I'll have to think on it, they had a fabulous array of Bali batiks that regularly went onsale. Okay I'm getting over enthusiastic again. Sorry tis my nature.

I went and got myself a step stool with three steps and a tray at the top, it sits almost flush to the sall and I think I can use it to do 90% of the stuff I want to do and will allow me to get things down off the ceiling racks in studio and folds to nothing and can be easily stowed, with no ones help. I'm so pleased. I have now replaced all my necessary tools lost of left behind in the move, ladders and drill, so if I want to do something in the middle of the night when I can't sleep I can don't have to sit and fume that I can't call a handyman to come help me. We went by my friends gallery in town and she does sell antiques on consignment and said bring all the stuff I want gone in, I was wearing one of my necklace creations she fell in love with and said please bring in any jewelry too. So not only did I have an enjoyable chat with her, and her lovely Weimaraner, I now have an outlet for things that need to go away and my jewelry.

Eva glad you got to feeling better, I'm off to play with my new ladder, and when the studio is not only functional (it is) but looks a bit better I will take and post a picture.
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Margo, I had to smile about your shopping and roadtrips. We use to do the sort of thing all the time but age has now pretty much stopped us in our tracks. Anymore, 50 miles to the next town seems way to far. And for shopping, we both like to go to all the thrift stores to see what we can find but clothes shopping I dread doing anymore.

Glad you got your ladder. I have a metal one that folds flat and it has only two steps and the handle area at top. Have to have that anymore when I am climbing up.

Debby, glad you found some bread that both of you like. That will help a lot in feeling like you can have a sandwich.

The horse now has one coat of poly on it and will do more tomorrow. I want it to be shiny. Then may make a little blanket to put on the seat. Like a regular horse blanket. Have to see what I have in stock for a fabric that I can use.

Off to play with some yarn now. Doll blanket done and I am working on a hat.
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Margo, that's what I'm looking for with the pattern drafting system. One set of basic patterns that fit that I can make endless possibilities by changing a neckline, a waistband, a sleeve or pocket style. And, know that it'll fit. Also, I'm working on being more active to lose some of the excess weight. As I get smaller, I can re-draft the basic patterns again to make a new set of blueprints and make more clothes. Yes, that store still exists. I just checked them out online. Gorgeous fabrics. (Going back to look at the sight some more when I'm done here. ) Back in California, I used to shop at a Hancock's. You are right, a much better and wider selection than JoAnne's. So cool you got a little ladder. It's much better to be able to do it yourself than to wait on someone else. (Don't tell DH I said that, it gives him a complex. ) Congrats on a place to unload your stuff and sell your jewelry. That's very cool.

Eva, glad you are feeling better. The horse sounds like it's almost done. Is the hat for a doll?

I was feeling energetic again this morning. It's been over a week without a day of dragging energy and/or pain. I'm so delighted with this. So, I get busy on stuff. Got the front pants pattern drafted. Next is finding some fabric to make a trysies pair. Made some corn meal mush. Finished getting the passport applications filled out. Got passport pictures taken and all official stuff with that done. They are now winging their way to the government agency. Got the grocery shopping done. Returned library books. And... ran out of knee points. That's what DH calls it when my knees start hurting. So, I'm sitting here in the middle of the afternoon wanting to get more cooking done in the kitchen. It may not happen. But, I'm starting to feel better and maybe my energy (and knee points) will come back. I guess I get carried away too.
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Had a bad morning of pain and a panic attack which I have had for 6 weeks. I think I also stressed myself out with all we have going and trying to do too much so my body rejected me.

This afternoon was better and so we got some of the stuff done that needed to be done. Received a bunch of pictures from my half brother. My stepmom's house was sold after she had to go into the nursing home and I had asked my brother if there were any pictures. It sure took us down memory lane with the pictures of us when we were young with small children. Even some when I was a little girl. We lose all our pictures taken before 2000 when our storage unit was robbed. We lose everything we owned as they cleaned out the 20x24 unit of everything. We suppect who did it but they couldn't be caught. I bet they dumped everything or sold it for drugs. So it was nice to get some of the pictures back.

Debby the hat I am making is for a doll and will go with the blanket. Haven't worked on it for a couple of days. Really will only take about another house so maybe tonight when I watch tv for a couple of hours.

Debby, it sounds like you and me do push ourselves too far.
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 04:39 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Sorry about the pain and panic, Eva. Could the panic be related to the pain? I know I'm not in as good a head space when I'm in pain. I noted that yesterday as my good mood and feelings of accomplishment went right out the window once I started hurting.

Today, from pushing yesterday I'm sure, I'm aching. Still have things to do, of course. I keep paring down my list. It started out quite lengthy and now compromises have been made on what will and will not be accomplished today. What doesn't happen today, gets shoved onto tomorrow's list and makes that list longer. Of course, it doesn't help that I get distracted on my "breaks" reading things on the computer. After my success with the flat bread, I've been cruising through gluten free blogs that have recipes on them. The problem, for the most part is that either they are using dairy or ingredients I don't have. Just last evening, DH was asking me about buying all these specialty flours that are so expensive in bigger, bulk quantities. I'd love to, but, I don't have enough experience baking this way to say with any confidence that I'll use a 25 pound bag of whatever. So, I'm trying to limit my purchases to just a couple of options, only to find that time and time again, I'm missing something to try a recipe. It seems that to replace wheat flour takes anywhere from 4 to 6 ingredients. Then I run across things like some people with sensitive stomachs can't handle sorghum flour, for instance. Others complain about bitterness when using tapioca starch or quinoa. I am not fond of bitter flavors and tend to taste them when others (particularly DH) think it tastes just fine. So, I'm looking for options that aren't going to hurt my stomach and aren't bitter and don't taste like beans. (That includes soy beans.) Oh well, back to my list.
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Went the chiropractor this morning and he thinks that he tried to move things too fast and that is why the extra pain and panic yesterday. So today he tried something different and I have had a good afternoon. If this works for me, this is what we will do for a couple of weeks.

The weather is in the low 80's this afternoon so we got out for a while. When to the Goodwill and found a couple of things. A doll kit that I will use the pattern for some soft dolls for babies. I don't like all that is in the kit but the pattern will work. Also got a Dora the Explorer doll that talks and sings and a couple of cheap craft dolls that I bought for the shoes only. At $1.09 plus my 25% discount the dolls I can dump and use the shoes.

Poor Debby and working with all those different flours. I hope you find something soon that you like and can afford the ingredients. And you are right on that I also think the pain triggers the panic attack.

Now it is time to get in the sewing room and see if I can get some work done in there. I also have to get the kitchen floor washed up because our new rug came today and I won't put in down on a dirty floor. It is going to look great. Right now it is upside down in the dining room because it was rolled so tight that it is not laying real flat yet. It will in a day or two.

Need to get the horse finished up too. It needs some touchup and then a couple of coats of poly. Then may even make a little yarn mane. Don't know yet.

later.......
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Glad you found the source of your pain, Eva. In spite of everything you seem to keep turning out wonderfully refurbished toys.

Today, I'm baking for DH. Made blueberry cobbler and am in process on molasses ginger snaps. Of course then the kitchen has to be washed and sterilized before I begin making food for me. It's something that DH and I may have to come to a compromise on. According to kitchen safety for gluten, it's really very easy to cross contaminate food. Just using flour in baking, the dust can hang in the air for hours before settling and that dust has gluten in it.

Then I'm finding out that some ingredients in purchased foods have gluten and dairy in them without having the key word involved. For instance, "natural flavors" or "natural flavorings" has gluten in it. Do you know how many items have those words near the bottom of the ingredient list? My mayo has it. The lunch meat I buy has it. *sigh* I'm back to eating very little as new things come to light. Unfortunately, this isn't resulting in further weight reduction.
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

We had to break down and turn the air on. It was 89 outside and 84 inside. Even with the fans running it got too warm. Air in March is something we didn't want to have to use but it was getting uncomfortable in the house.

I got my kitchen all cleaned this morning including washing the floor and the utility floor and put our new rug down. Looks great. Washed and dried all the winter coats so that they can be put away. Don't think we will be using them again until fall. John's coat is a nylon ski jacket and mine is a cotton and fleece lined jacket so it is just dump them in the washing machine.

Finally finished up the rocking horse today. It has taken days to do. The before picture shows how bad of wood they had used to make the horse, plus the green magic marker on the head. I never could get it all off so the only way to go was dark stain. I had to stain it twice to get the green covered then several coats of poly were put on it to give it a shine. I put the yarn mane and tail on with velco so that if needed it can be removed or replaced. The blanket is just a piece of fleece that I had. I thought the horse needed some color.

#105   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 05:43 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, the horse turned out great. Is the blanket attached with velcro too? Putting away your winter coats and turning on the A/C? It was snowing again today. Not sticking, but those white flakes kept coming down.

So, there is indeed something to that little ingredient "natural flavors". I made absolutely certain that from dinner last night I wasn't putting anything in me that had that listed. Today, my residual swelling is going down. It really does matter. A little bit can hurt you. I'll have to revamp my grocery shopping and kitchen time yet again. But, less swelling means less pain and no pain meds.

I've got the sacrificial purple cloth on the cutting table and the specially drafted pattern pieces pinned to it. Now, for the moment of truth... do I dare cut it? Actually, right now because of my size I have to open the fabric up flat to cut it. I changed my mind and am going to fold the fabric the other direction so I can cut out two pieces at the same time. So I'll be re-pinning the pattern after I do that. Then, I really will cut it out.

Tomorrow, I have a contractor coming over to give me an estimate on re-doing the bathroom. We've been saving our pennies and the feds came through rather quickly with our refund. So... it's time. We so need new everything in there. Unfortunately, I think it's going to mean pulling out the tile on the walls, the wall paper off the walls and re-doing the floor as well. Good thing it's tiny, it won't cost as much then. But, I'll have the colors I want in there rather than being stuck with a yellow commode, tub and sink, pink paint and blue tiles. (What were they thinking?) Oh, and wood for the towel rack the toilet seat and the mirror frame. I'm going with white fixtures and, white walls. The space is so tiny, it needs the openness that white will give.