WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Fort Worth, TX

Hails from United States
Continuation of "I'm a New Member" thread with mural questions

I posted as a new member on the Welcome-New Users forum, but I wanted to make sure the comments and questions I have would be properly posted on the correct page. So this is a continuation of that post there.

Back Story:
I am in negotiations with a large hospital with several satellite clinics. One of those clinics had a lady donate some money to have a "Children's Reading Corner" done in a particular clinic. I have an old friend who works with the hospital's foundation and she contacted me, as I had done a couple of murals at the church we attended several years ago, as well as VBS decorations. This particular office is going to move to a new location in 2 years, so I can't paint a mural on the wall (easiest of course). After checking into canvases, the price ended up more than the donation (which needs to cover new books in 2 yrs and a table and chair set, book shelves). Yesterday my friend called me and said they don't allow canvas-anything in the clinics as they are "germ collectors. JayJay365UK was baffled as well. I'm now looking into alternatives to wall-painting & hanging a canvas mural.

My first thought has been to go with furniture-grade plywood or some sort of hardbord... and then I saw Dibond. Dibond intrigued me as it is like thin alumninum sandwiched over some sort of foamcore (nice and light). Not sure if it could be attached to the wall and easily removed (but I'd think it would be). I'm now trying to figure out if any of these materials come large enough.

(The original mural was to be 10x7 (9'4" x 90" actually), but due to the cost, I'm working on something a bit smaller to bring down the cost for the client. *Maybe* 8x8, with two 4x8 panels positioned horizontally atop each other--screw into the wall, and easy to remove and put back up elsewhere.)

BobWeekend suggested wallpaper. Would wallpaper be able to be removed and then reused elsewhere? (in one piece with no tears, etc.) Would it last for many years in the new location, after being reused like that?

Thanks for the welcome JayJay, Jon, and Bob!

And thanks to anyone out there with some insights!

In Him who is able,
Donna C
http://donnac.com

Last edited by Donna C : 03-15-2012 at 02:04 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Ovilla, TX

Hails from United States
Re: Continuation of "I'm a New Member" thread with mural questions

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-...fabric-w-74483

You could use that idea and tyvek as the wallpaper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyvek

You should be able to find it at a home improvement big box.