WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Northern CA

Hails from United States
Diller Dally - Structured Critique

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Diller Dally - Structured Critique
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
It's been a while since I have posted anything and yesterday I couldn't get anything to post here so trying again. This is a view toward Mount Diller in Lassen Nat'l Volcanic Park, hence the silly name.
Overall, I am pretty happy with this painting. I was trying to be more deliberate with the textures, among other things. However I am not real happy with the trees to the right of the path.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What could I do differently about that group of trees? I am starting to think maybe paint them as one mass instead of individual trees. Comments? Suggestions about the trees or anything else? Also looking for title suggestions.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Diller Dally - Structured Critique

I love your ground cover...

Why don't you like the R hand trees?
The trees on the right seem fine to me, the ones on the left side seem to be all somewhat similar shapes and color tone.
Maybe add a bit more blues/purples on to lower areas, and a touch more highlight on the tops - since the sun is going across the tops of them??.

I don't know how much distance is between the ground cover flat land until the path hits the trees?

How distant if the distant hill?
The dirt or ground color on the far hill is very similar to the color of the dirt in the shaded area.

Do you have a ref photo you can share?

Landscape Composition tips - http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/Jo...120/index.html

Last edited by tj84 : 03-08-2012 at 07:19 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Thank you for your comments. I was trying to be really focused and purposeful when I painted the ground cover and am pretty happy with it.

One of the reasons I don't like the trees on the right may be because they are so different from the trees on the left. I think you're right about needing more variation and highlights in the trees on the left. Perhaps it will make them look more like they are in the same painting?

I'm not sure what you meant about the color of the dirt on the path and far hill. Do you mean the hill on the left?

I actually used a number of different reference photos and will post the two major ones here. This was the main reference for the fore and mid ground.
And a clear picture of Mount Diller because it couldn't be seen from where I was standing on the path.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 03:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

'(mellow) yellow meadow'

nice, peaceful, inviting

perhaps the trees on the right have a bit much white in them and perhaps if you'd like compatible darker darks anywhere in the depths of the spruce you might try your darkest warm green with a touch of alizarin (red) ... such a wonderful array of darks it makes (compatible with the blue your using for darks)
the purple shadows on the path and on the side hill are marvelous with the yellow flowers and ochre path ...
to improve the depth - soften and lighten, which you've done super nicely
i would suggest a bit of attention to the distant mountain you've led me to so effectively, it quite reminds me of a breast laying there ... minor reshaping would fix that right up.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 03:22 AM
Lord of the Arts
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

The painting is lovely. I agree with the comments above. I understand from above comment that the distant ground has to be toned down quite a bit because it is in the distance. I like the trees on the right.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

I absolutely love this painting. You have so many little points of color that are so inviting, the lavendars in the walking path, pinks in the sky... I see the nipple also but I wouldn't change it - artists interpretation you know. Agree with La a tiny touch of reds in the tree shadows would also add interest. And right trees are fine, vary height or shape of one on the left. I thought they were perhaps farmed trees.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

Oh, I meant the distant hill and the shaded dirt bank look like they have the same color "dirt". The path looks fine.

If you can add the little bump/ridge, on the R side of the mountain in the second ref photo, it might look less breast shaped.

Landscape Composition tips - http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/Jo...120/index.html
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. If I am understanding them correctly I need to vary height and maybe shape of some the trees on the left and add a touch more light to the tops and a few touches of red in the shadows. Also perhaps slightly alter the mountain shape. Again thank you for taking the time to look at the painting and offer your comments. I appreciate the input.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 PM
San Antonio, Texas

Hails from United States

Overall, I like this painting. I do find your shadows to the left not believable. You show to long shadows with peaks, the trees painted are about the same height with peaks, not just two???. Put a little shadow to the trees on the right (back).

Each person is a thread in the fabric of all mankind. Because of this, it makes a beautiful tapestry.