WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1456   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States
Re: The Oily Rag....................Come and Chat, March 2012

Marcia, you are right in a way that small frames are pricey...they do account for a higher percentage of the price for my small paintings..
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #1457   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 12:30 PM
A Local Legend

The nice thing about Franken is that they price per inch. So while it may seem to me like I am paying more for a small frame, I'm probably not.

I priced out the same style for an 18" X 36", and it came to around $68. Apart from the price of stock, it takes as much labor to assemble a small one as a big one, I suppose.

At least the bigger one is on stretchers, so I can mount it in a frame like you showed in a previous post - those frames are about 10˘/inch cheaper, I think. Speaking of, do you ever have an issue with a canvas being enough out of square that it doesn't quite fit or has gaps? Another thing I like about the ones with an inside rabbet is having a 1/4 inch or so in any direction for 'wiggle room'.
  #1458   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 01:30 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
t least the bigger one is on stretchers, so I can mount it in a frame like you showed in a previous post - those frames are about 10˘/inch cheaper, I think. Speaking of, do you ever have an issue with a canvas being enough out of square that it doesn't quite fit or has gaps? Another thing I like about the ones with an inside rabbet is having a 1/4 inch or so in any direction for 'wiggle room'.
Marcia, are you talking about the floater frames here? yes there is sometimes irregularity with the stretchers...but reg frames cover this and with floaters I buy them 3/4 inch larger so there 3/8 inch space all around the canvas. Again, irregularities aren't noticed then...with the inside rabbet I have never had a problem either.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #1459   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

I had to run a few errands, and while I was out I took my time,. sort of, and just looked around at everything coming out for spring. What had looked pretty dismal and depressing just a few weeks ago, is now really looking quite pretty.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #1460   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:09 PM
A Local Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Marcia, are you talking about the floater frames here? yes there is sometimes irregularity with the stretchers...but reg frames cover this and with floaters I buy them 3/4 inch larger so there 3/8 inch space all around the canvas. Again, irregularities aren't noticed then...with the inside rabbet I have never had a problem either.

I meant irregularities with the way the canvas is stretched. With the quality of materials these days, it's rare to get a canvas that doesn't have some kind of flaw. With the examples I posted yesterday, the panels weren't exactly cut with precision, and on one, you can see about a 1/8" gap across the top in the upper left corner, which slowly closes, until the upper right is flush.

I got a rare photo of Mia and Skeezix copping nods together this ayem.

Not only does Skeeter play fetch, sometimes she leaps up and catches her crinkleball in her paws midair and by the time she lands, it's in her mouth!
I am trying to figure out how to get a picture of that, it happens so fast. Also thinking of sending her cv to cirque du soleil. Kid's got future in acrobatics, I think.
  #1461   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:19 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia, I don't worry about little irregularities like that...

Cute kitties! You do need to make a kitty video.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #1462   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:30 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Quote:
just saw some tv poll about viewers for "walking dead" made me think with my recent condition, the oily rag should have a ton of readers too.

I just got one of those search window drop down ads that said Walking Dead Medicine!

#1463   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, that's a great photo! My cats would resent my putting them to work, and think I really had a nerve even trying! They also think they were born to rule......in meow language, KATZ ROOL!!!

Becca
, I'm glad you liked the card! BTW, you know you haven't done anything wrong, ever, as long as I've been here ... you're beyond doubt, the nicest person on the Oily Rag!

Sid, happy first day of spring to you, too!

#1464   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:36 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapeliad
I just got one of those search window drop down ads that said Walking Dead Medicine!
don't click on it!

On second thought...maybe you should!
Becca's Fine Art my blog

Last edited by !becca : 03-20-2012 at 02:45 PM.
  #1465   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:38 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
Becca, I'm glad you liked the card! BTW, you know you haven't done anything wrong, ever, as long as I've been here ... you're beyond doubt, the nicest person on the Oily Rag!
Nancy, you are so sweet!
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #1466   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

marcia I your wonderful kitties!!

#1467   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Jessica, is your kitty furry again yet?
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #1468   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:55 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapeliad

Oops, Jess! Maybe I need some of that, since I feel like the walking dead every morning! I stagger, and because my eyes aren't awake yet, I have to put my hands out in front to keep from walking into doors!

#1469   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
Oops, Jess! Maybe I need some of that, since I feel like the walking dead every morning! I stagger, and because my eyes aren't awake yet, I have to put my hands out in front to keep from walking into doors!
Video ,Nancy, Video!
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #1470   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:02 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Jessica, is your kitty furry again yet?

in a few places.......