WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 AM

Hails from Canada
laptop and image editing?

We are about ready to get a new computer. I'd love to have just a laptop, not to move around but to spare myself all those cords and cpu, etc. Is there a problem working with images on a laptop? I seem to have heard something about that years ago -- like, you have to have the screen turned just-so or you wont see the true image,colours, etc. Is there a screen type I should look for? All i do with images is a little bit of resizing, colour tweaking etc., Don't even know how to really use the complete program. Still, I get enough done on the hulking big computer. Right now I use Paint Shop Pro but I'd like to get photoshop essentials. Any computer suggestions?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: laptop and image editing?

I have used a lap top for 10 years or more. I have no problems with it. My new one has a 17 inch screen with LED back light - better than CFL.

I use an old V9 of Paintshop Pro as my graphics program.

PS My laptop is a Samsung R780.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 09:06 AM

Hails from Canada

Thanks Yorkie!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

I make my computer art on a laptop. I can't see myself ever going back to a desktop, I love the portability of a laptop and the small space it takes up. My art is done with paint shop pro 7 and photoshop elements, my laptop is a 15 inch widescreen toshiba sk8. It's around 7 years old now but still does the job.

As for colors looking different depending on the angle of the screen, it just takes some getting used to and keeping the screen angled properly.

Last edited by webart : 03-14-2012 at 01:21 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by webart
I make my computer art on a laptop. I can't see myself ever going back to a desktop, I love the portability of a laptop and the small space it takes up. My art is done with paint shop pro 7 and photoshop elements, my laptop is a 15 inch widescreen toshiba sk8. It's around 7 years old now but still does the job.

As for colors looking different depending on the angle of the screen, it just takes some getting used to and keeping the screen angled properly.

I feel like cheering. I was prepared to hear that it was unworkable. I'll be looking pretty soon. I may decide to get a removable mouse though.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

For creative art I recommend a Wacom Bamboo digitiser which will work with Psp and Photoshop Elements.

Doug
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 02:20 PM

problem with laptops... they get HOT! They have special parts that are harder to replace then the old DIY parts you can throw on a desktop. Screen resolution/angle is also a little bit of an issue sometimes.

Been using an HP Pavilion for a couple of years and I want to go back to desktop since laptop just ain't powerful enough. I sometimes use it to download newsfeeds on calibre for my kindle, and just about every time I do that I need to flip it up on it's side and put a little desk fan on the bottom so it won't overheat enough to auto shut it off during the task. Don't get me started on how horrible laptop is for gaming or 3d animation... (or photoshop with hundreds of layers)

How heavily do you type? I learned to type on old school klunky typewriters where the harder you pushed down the darker the letters got. As a result, my typing on laptop is not a good thing... about 3 keys on keyboard have fallen off and won't go back on.... wifi is dead as is the cd burner (think that's more of an overheating issue though that caused that)... Right now my hands are hot just typing this because of all the heat coming off of this thing.... and it's not doing anything really resource intensive! Typing too hard is bad on laptops since all the important parts of the computer are right below where your hands are typing.

Last edited by mastermesh : 03-17-2012 at 02:25 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

I must say my former Acer laptop did get rather hot, but I used it on a table so it didn't affect me. My current Samsung is very cool and I use it in an office swivel arm that swivels over my sofa and doesn't touch my knees.

The LED backlit screen is much cooler running and doesn't take as much power. The CFL backlight on my old Acer dimmed over the years and eventually failed.

Doug
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermesh
problem with laptops... they get HOT! They have special parts that are harder to replace then the old DIY parts you can throw on a desktop. Screen resolution/angle is also a little bit of an issue sometimes.

I'm hoping that, like Yorkie, I'll get a computer that's the 'cool' type. The new models must have improved. Yes, the screen angle might be something to work with. On the other hand, I might just attach a regular keyboard to the thing if I give it a good try and I don't like the touch after all. I'm from the banging the keyboard school too but I'm modifying my touch more and more.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Probably depends on the laptop. I use my toshiba sometimes for 3 or more hours straight and it doesn't get hot. Nor have the keys broken off and it's around 7 years old now, although several days ago the power button got pushed in but it still works.

Nowadays laptops are just as powerful as desktops, just depends on what you buy.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

My laptop is powered up at 7.30am and off at 11.30pm and doesn't overheat.

Doug
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Laptops do get hot, but you can get a tray to sit them on with a fan in them. Or just prop up the back a bit so the air circulates underneath.

I've used only a laptop since 1993, always Mac. (PCs are fine too, just chiming in) It's never been slow or unusable and I run all of Adobe Creative Suite on it, watch video, play World of Warcraft. The ONLY thing that pushes it a bit too hard is World of Warcraft and that's just because it could use a better graphics card. The only part replacement I've ever made on any of them is self-installing a larger hard drive.

Definitely go with a mouse! I have tendonitis in my elbow and shoulder and my physio said trackpads are just evil on all the hand, wrist and arm joints.