WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Central Jersey

Hails from United States
Preferences in Brand?

I'd like to get some people's opinions on the different (although limited) brands of Gouache.

I started off with Talens because Utrecht had a sale on a set of 8 for something like 25 dollars. Since then, I've supplemented it with Windsor & Newtons. I have personally found the W&N brand to be a little smoother - they don't leave as many pockets of white in my washes - and in some cases more opaque. Also, Talens doesn't (that I have found) have a flesh tint, so W&N wins a point for me right there.

Also, on another note, why do Micheals and ACMoore carry so few colors?! There was a sale on W&N at ACMoore last week and I was incredibly excited to buy out their entire stock, only to find they only carried primary colors. Silly store not wanting my money :-P
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States
Re: Preferences in Brand?

If you search "gouache brands" within this forum group you'll find it's a topic that gets discussed frequently. For example:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542620
My Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I bought some Talens gouache and was disappointed that the colors were mostly formulated from the thalos I hate so much. Stupid me. They really look their ghastliest in gouache.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 11:27 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtbyJennyM
I'd like to get some people's opinions on the different (although limited) brands of Gouache.
My Numero Uno favorite brand, no question, head and shoulders the best (for me) is Schmincke Horadam Gouache. Excellent stuff!

My second fav is Grahams Gouache.

I have tried W&N gouache many times and have found it inferior to both the Grahams and the Schmincke. I have also seen, in a few places, that stores are putting W&N gouache on sale and then not re-stocking. Maybe W&N is getting out of the gouache business? I don't know.

For more on gouache brands see:
-- Project 640 Tubes: Selecting a Gouache Palette, from Roz Stendahl
-- MacEvoy on Gouache

Does this help?

Jan