WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#226   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 AM

Re: Essentials of Painting Skies - Discussion Thread

Thank you everyone! The classes with Johannes - those that I have been able to attend - have been exceptional! But, to expect such tech help from everyone! What a surprise! What a great group this is.
Katsan
  #227   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Athol MA (north central Mass.)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemarie
Hi, BumpaBob! My computer is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. and it has worked with Safari 5.0.5. That changed in october or november when I got the error message that I had to have the latest Java. At that time I did have the latest Java for Mac, newly released, and safari 5.1. I had a mail communication with the Gotomeeting people and they meant it wasn't their problem but Apples.

I downgraded to Safari 5.0.5 and also reinstalled Snow Leopard to being able to upgrade Java to the next to latest version. That worked until two weeks ago! I don't understand what is happening as I during that time haven't installed anything that would have changed the Java. I have last week updated to the latest Java but that didn't help.
It is something with Safari that is the problem I think and I have reported it several times to Apple. Maybe a later version of Safari will work but I am reluctant to try as it is a hassle to downgrade again esp. as the setup worked earlier last year. BUT Firefox does work. It doesn't complain about the Java so it can't be a Java problem.

Then we have the Adobe Flash problem. Adobe doesn't have a flash version that works well on Leopard on PowerPC. I hate it when they think all people have the latest version of computers. That might be true for PC but not for Mac.
MacOs 10.5 does work on PowerPC but the Adobe Flash doesn't! I have a PPC with Leopard 10.5 with a 20" screen but I can't use it with GoToMeeting as the Adobe Flash plug-in doesn't work.

Hi Rosemarie:
You have provided an interesting twist to my understanding of the change in processors; I was told to not bother spending money on 10.5 since my two Mac's are G4's....just deal with old age! I guess the flash problem was part of the advice I got. I still love working with the older Mac's and will continue to find ways around such issues.
As I mentioned in the previous post, I use an HP netbook feeding a 23" monitor to get around the GoToMeeting fail and it works OK. F&W uses G.T.M for its other free classes so I have a working solution. Thanks to Johannes for finding the two alternatives, Justin and Livestream; he is a true teacher, really caring that his students get the full message. Well, gotta go -- happy painting!
P.S.: have you contacted the Apple forum at apple.com? There are some real geniuses at the forum who can search out and squash just about any bug in the system! There may already be a discussion on the failure to load the latest Java, as you mentioned. Good luck!

Last edited by BumpaBob : 01-31-2012 at 07:59 PM.
  #228   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Enthusiast
Sjbo, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

BumpaBob, I can't get around that one need an Intel machine as Flash isn't supportd for PPC machines nor is Gotomeeting supporting PPC.
If you are going to upgrade you have to get an Intel machine.
  #229   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Athol MA (north central Mass.)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemarie
BumpaBob, I can't get around that one need an Intel machine as Flash isn't supportd for PPC machines nor is Gotomeeting supporting PPC.
If you are going to upgrade you have to get an Intel machine.

Hi Rosemarie: Yes, you have hit the problem squarely on the head.....need to spend $$$ to stay with Mac. Or just use my little netbook with Win XP. And I was hoping to convince my wife to get a new iMac desktop..... Oh well.. I will be ready for the next course, though. Happy painting! bob.c
  #230   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast
Sjbo, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

See you in the next class, Bob!
  #231   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

I see that Robert will no longer be taking notes for our webinars. Since Yorky added, "sadly" to his post, I'm wondering if Robert is ok. While I have appreciated his notes immensely (even tho I take my own, his are much better), I'm more concerned about him as a person. Since taking your webinars (Johannes) I feel connected to many of the folks who are frequent members. Robert has performed an invaluable service, I hope he's ok.
  #232   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 02:47 PM

Regarding the masters course I am supposed to give, I was thinking of tracing the historical origins of everything we have taught, from the artists and movements that advocated such concepts. The most relevant artists for what we have taught are the Impressionists and the Holy Trinity, as I call them. However, none of this is a fact since I do not even know if F&W Media will allow such a course that depends solely on the material and photographs from sources other than my own. Johannes, as I understand, has not brought up the topic with the head office, so until I know that we have the executive green light for it, there is no reason why this course should take place.
  #233   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethVloothuisart
Regarding the masters course I am supposed to give, I was thinking of tracing the historical origins of everything we have taught, from the artists and movements that advocated such concepts. The most relevant artists for what we have taught are the Impressionists and the Holy Trinity, as I call them. However, none of this is a fact since I do not even know if F&W Media will allow such a course that depends solely on the material and photographs from sources other than my own. Johannes, as I understand, has not brought up the topic with the head office, so until I know that we have the executive green light for it, there is no reason why this course should take place.

Hi Kenneth-might be a good idea to start a new thread so that more people see your post.

Which three artists are the 'Holy Trinity'? My guess might be Turner, Constable and ? (Claude Lorrain maybe?)

Please keep us posted on the Masters Course.
  #234   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Bump!
  #235   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Hails from Guatemala

Hi Jo
any news about when "Essentials of Painting Skies" is available for purchase?
Regards
Mirsa.
  #236   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth04
Hi Jo
any news about when "Essentials of Painting Skies" is available for purchase?
Regards
Mirsa.
I am still waiting for word from F&W.