WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 05:19 PM

Winterstone

Hi to everyone! I was wondering if anybody have worked with Winterstone before? If I understand it right, its a type of concrete. Is it safe enough to work with your bare hands? If you work with it directly like with a clay, how fast does it dry? Can you keep it moist and pliable for a few days by covering with plastic wrap? Does it require to work in layers, building up shapes by letting one layer to dry after another? My apologies if my questions are ignorant. I have tried to find more info about this medium but nothing I could find by googling. Im new to sculpting ( my hobby is an oil painting) and I just finished my first wall relief project which was done partly with homemade paperclay and with Premier air dry argilite based clay. Right now Im up to a new project(seems Im falling in love with a new hobby!) but Premier is an expensive option for me since the project might require more then 50lbs of the medium. Your help will be very appreciated! Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States
Re: Winterstone

I will be interested in the answers too - I don't know much about Winterstone except as a casting medium, and I've never tried it myself. If you go to The Compleat Sculptor (www.sculpt.com) website and put "Winterstone" in the site's search engine, you'll find a wealth of information about it. Hope this helps!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Don't know much about it either but you can call Compleat Sculptor and talk to the tech dept. for tips and answers. Please let us know what you find out!

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 PM

Thank you so much Ladies! I went to their website and found some tech info. It says that its okay to work with bare hands but it cant be kept moist since it will hardens after one hours inside and out after mixing it with water....I tried to call them for more detailed information but the number they provided on their website seems to be a dead end. So, I figure it might require to work with layers , with small amounts and on small areas at the time. Not exactly what Im looking for but however since I need a very durable and stone like finish for my project Im going to buy their product within a few weeks and test it.