WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Pennsylvania, USA

Hails from United States
Online Tutorials for Felters

I have been posting tutorials about machine needle felted paintings for over a year now. Because it is such a new art form and there isn't much instruction available about how to do it, I started a blog outlining my own artistic journey. I would like to share my knowledge with others about machine needle felting. I have just uploaded a new entry entitled, "Color Magic for Felters" for those who may be interested. It is too long to put here so click on the blog link to see it. Thanks for looking,

Linda Hall

www.fabricartbylinda.com

www.fabricartbylinda.blogspot.com

Author of “The ART of Machine Needle Felting” book and CD
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 05:54 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Online Tutorials for Felters

Thanks so much.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 12:14 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Linda, this is such a well presented tutorial, with a good overview to color wheel use, and then illustration of how it applies to working with wool roving and felting. What you outline is relevant not just to felting and "wool painting" but to spinning and even combining multiple yarns when knitting and crocheting.

I am intrigued with the technique of layering to produce the color mixing. It makes me think of working with colored pencil almost more than paint. How do you compare the results of layers vs mixing wool with carders?

Would it be possible for you to directly upload just a few of the photos here? I can understand not wanting to recreate the entire blog. I am thinking specifically of the 3-4 photo sequence of your jars. It captures the core of the technique, and I would love to see that as part of the forum archive. If we were to ever lose the link to your blog, we would lose your knowledge and this thread would be rendered useless! It also makes a difference to see the actual example, in order to talk about it.

well, it is looking as if I Need to get back to Working on our forum resource directory. You are offering resources to be cataloged.

Sorry for the odd caps above - on an iPad keyboard and it has a mind of its own!

Jen
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Pennsylvania, USA

Hails from United States

I am not sure which part of the blog you would like to see uploaded here. It does not matter to me if it is the full blog or just part of it but I don't know exactly where to put the upload. Just right here in this thread or is there somewhere else it should go? Which part do you want?

What happens with needle felted wool is really cool. The action of the needles on the felting machine pull the fibers through to the back of the foundation fabric and/or up to the surface with every pass. Whatever colors you have layered one on top of the other, even if invisiblle at first, get felted into the surface from underneath so their presence has an effect. For example, on the Provincetown painting, the sunny side of the house has a golden yellow underlayer of wool, with a striated grey-blue mixture of wools on top. The presence of the yellow is not obvious, yet it creates the sunlight on the side of the house. The shade part of the house has a medium/dark blue underlayer with the gray striated wool on top. When felted one on top of the other, Voila! shady house corner. That's what layering does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rue d'oak
Linda, this is such a well presented tutorial, with a good overview to color wheel use, and then illustration of how it applies to working with wool roving and felting. What you outline is relevant not just to felting and "wool painting" but to spinning and even combining multiple yarns when knitting and crocheting.

I am intrigued with the technique of layering to produce the color mixing. It makes me think of working with colored pencil almost more than paint. How do you compare the results of layers vs mixing wool with carders?

Would it be possible for you to directly upload just a few of the photos here? I can understand not wanting to recreate the entire blog. I am thinking specifically of the 3-4 photo sequence of your jars. It captures the core of the technique, and I would love to see that as part of the forum archive. If we were to ever lose the link to your blog, we would lose your knowledge and this thread would be rendered useless! It also makes a difference to see the actual example, in order to talk about it.

well, it is looking as if I Need to get back to Working on our forum resource directory. You are offering resources to be cataloged.

Sorry for the odd caps above - on an iPad keyboard and it has a mind of its own!

Jen