WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia
Scavenger Hunt #260 - 10 - 18 March

Hey there hunters.
If you've participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...366347&page=33

Here are the rules for the hunt:

*All items on the list must be sketched from life - not imagination or photo reference.

*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.

*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt "week" will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyways. Commenting is appreciated but not necessary. ***

I have had the song "I can sing a Rainbow" in my head for the week or more so decided to use it as the theme for my list. Some of the colours listed are also objects/items within themselves ie: raspberry is a fruit but you might have a pair of gloves that are raspberry coloured. Also some items may be different colours ie: different coloured roses or chocolate. It is up to you how you interpret each "colour". The object may have other colours included but be predominately the colour for the item. Also as per our rules each object only counts for one item on the list no matter how many colours it has. I hope this is as clear as mud... Most of all have a fun colourful hunt.

- red
- yellow
- pink
- green
- purple
- orange
- blue
- brown
- white (I know its not really a colour in itself, but.... )
- bronze, brass or copper
- raspberry
- apricot
- grey
- lavender
- lemon
- rust
- seashell
- terra cotta
- steel
- mint
- rose
- chocolate
- turquoise
- fuchsia
- gold
- silver

Challenge 1
- do the same item 3 times using 3 different mediums.

Enjoy!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia
Re: Scavenger Hunt #260 - 10 - 18 March

OMG this has been up for a full day and not one person has commented or made a start. Guess I really bummed out with my idea this time. Guess that's what happens when you aren't a regular any more. If someone else wants to take over feel free. I am feeling very self conscious right now.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 PM
WC! Guide
Bakersfield,California

Hails from United States

Don't worry Jacqui. I like the list. And it's different. It becomes very hard getting new ideas for lists. I don't know what everyone elses problem is maybe the weekend. I have already printed it last night and been thinking what I can get for my still life.

I did look up some of the colors to see how they were different from another. Like rust and terra cotta.

So don't worry. You did just fine.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

jacquip I like the list.... I have already started and have 3 done but I am away from home and don't have access to my scanner or camera.. I like the idea of a list of colors.....
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Hi Jacqui, thanks for hosting. I was about to post a multi-coloured sketch I did from life but it was a few days before you posted your list. Oh, heck, I'll do it anyway but I won't number it.

This is a dog snoozing on very colourful blankets - one is striped, one has circles, and the dog is the somewhat brown thing amongst the stripes and dots.

This is watercolour and ink, 5.5x8", around 10 min for the sketch and 10 min for the paint.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Jeanne thanks for the words of confidence. I hope you enjoy the list.

Paul thanks for the heads up. I was worried I had scared everyone away. Look forward to seeing your work when you can.

EP very colourful blankets and dog. He looks very comfy in there, not bothered at all by the psychedelic rainbow around him. I think you could count him in.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Jacqui - Thanks for the new List. It looks great and "colorful", should be an interesting one to do.

Jean and Paul - Hi there.

Ep - Love the snoozing dog on the colorful blanket!!! How can he snooze amongst all that blazing color!

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Jacqui and Viv - thanks. We aim to tire out the dog, so when he's serious about sleeping he'll collapse on those blankets.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast
!reland

Hails from Ireland

Hi everybody!!!
I've just finished my course- packed up and posted off my diploma portfolio for marking and so I'm freeeeeee to play with you all again
It's been a long time... I've missed you all!

Jacqui, what a wonderful list! I love that you based it on colours...we can have fun with that!
EP- cute dog...what's it's name?
Anyhow, here are my first two
1. Rust- Yesterday I took my youngest daughter into the Natural History Museum here in Dublin to sketch. She did loads...I just did a quick sketch of a kestrel (30mins ink and watercolour) I'm looking forward to going back- they have some great butterflies and moths
2- Well, I couldn't stay away from the botanical art very long, so my second sketch is of daffodils
And finally, I just wanted to share two of my portfolio pieces with you, done from life but over the past two months- hope you don't mind! They are both A3 and in watercolour. we are not allowed to use white gouache or put in shadows.
Catch you later,
Cairo (but in Dublin )
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 02:53 PM
WC! Guide
Bakersfield,California

Hails from United States

Cairo oh how I have missed you and your drawings. Sooooo glad you are back and can play with us again. How are those girls of yours? What age are they now? Are you all adjusting to Ireland again? Sorry so many questions but just proof that I missed you.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 02:58 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Ep - Good idea about tiring the dog out What's his name?

Cairo - Hi there! Great to see you back Your work is absolutely stunning and I've always been in awe of it! What can I say - all your paintings are fabulous!!!!

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

EP: Like the dog he is cute... looks comfortable for sure... nice sketch

jacquip, J and Viv: Hi!

Cairo: Nice to meet you... your art work is awesome... very, very nice... that bird looks like he is getting ready to fly away

Just stopping by to see the sketches.... should be able to post Monday or Tuesday... We are spending some time at the Cape.... nobody is here .... yaaaa! I went to the beach but it was cold and windy so I couldn't stay too long but got a couple seashells. The wind was so strong the other day we now have sand dunes where they weren't before... Later
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Cairo wow so great to see you here. You must be so pleased to have finally finished your course. What stunning folio pieces. Love the kestrel and gorgeous daffodil. It is great to have you back, did I mention that

Paul glad you are having a great time at the beach. Looking forward to seeing those shells and other sketches.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM
WC! Guide
Bakersfield,California

Hails from United States

Woohoo. I got my still life set up and got all my colors in it. Hopefully I can get it sketched before I leave for Bible study. Just in case the dogs bump into it. It's set up on a small laptop table.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Jacqui - fear not - it takes me awhile to check in and then I don't always comment - I'm sure you will have many participants - love the challenge and thank you for hosting

Eyepaint - love the colorful blanket with the dog

Cariomum - awesome paintings - congrats on your accomplishment

Starting off with two items

1 - rasberry - Red Seedless Grapes - Watercolor & Ink on 140 lb hot press WC paper - small 5 x 7 inches

2 - green - resting hummingbird - visits my garden for a drink from the feeder - couldn't get a front view as he wouldn't stay still long enough - watercolor on arches 300 lb watercolor paper small - 5 x 7 inches

Barbara

http://www.bjranous.weebly.com