WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Washington

Hails from United States
Re: Roche pastels

Thank you Sherry. Here is a little plain air painting I did a couple years ago. The reason I am sharing this is because at that time I had a little bit of my Roche's left and used them sparingly on the grasses. The orange color is from the Roche 12 piece landscape set and some of the ochre color is a from a very tiny piece. This is the last painting where I was able to use my Roche. I dropped the orange and it shattered. The ochre was used up. Those Roche's really helped make the grasses glow. With the pumice and richness of the orange color I was able to drag it very lightly over and it blended in very well. It was exciting at the time and fun.
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

I like your philosophy Robert. I think you have a gift ... The gift of enjoying what is around you, what you earn, what your are given, the days when you feel good. Many people do not have that.

"beauty is God's handwriting - a wayside sacrament" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

Thanks for sharing this. I think my other colors will arrive Monday or Tuesday so I can play with painting something other than purple. I have some portrait and landscape colors coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvantuyl

Thank you Sherry. Here is a little plain air painting I did a couple years ago. The reason I am sharing this is because at that time I had a little bit of my Roche's left and used them sparingly on the grasses. The orange color is from the Roche 12 piece landscape set and some of the ochre color is a from a very tiny piece. This is the last painting where I was able to use my Roche. I dropped the orange and it shattered. The ochre was used up. Those Roche's really helped make the grasses glow. With the pumice and richness of the orange color I was able to drag it very lightly over and it blended in very well. It was exciting at the time and fun.

#109   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

Lest I bore people to death, this will be my last post. In 1991 Christie's auctioned five trays of "numerous" Roche pastels. It did not state how many sticks. The selling price was approximately $450.

Last edited by SherryC : 03-10-2012 at 06:32 PM.
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello
Donna - that scene really does allow for
pushing value and saturation !

there was another european brand , discontinued ,
which followed the outline of
pigment , tint , tone ,
and had a bit of grit .

i found that i could go further on paper
with stick blending .
> haven't tried the american gritted formulations .

Ed :}

Last edited by sketchZ1ol : 03-10-2012 at 07:15 PM.
  #111   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Ed: You may want to try Diane Townsend Pastels. They are hand made and contain pumice. J
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Whidbey Island, WA

Hails from United States

Robert,
Please forgive my delayed "thank you" to that very kind compliment on my work. How rude of me (I was playing with Henri ). Thank you, indeed.
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

It has been interesting to read about the Roché pastels here.

I can now add my own opinion, as I've tested 7 colours, and written a review of how they performed on 3 different papers.

Even more, I found out how Edgar Degas could fixate and layer, fixate and layer -- the Roché pastels do not change even with several layers! Very exciting!

I hope it is OK to link to my blog, where the Roché Review is. If it isn't kosher, I apologise.

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #114   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

Charlie I am thrilled that you did these tests with the Roches. The more I work with them, the more I like them. I have ordered the 12 piece landscape amd the 12 piece portrait set which should be arriving in the next day or two. As you know I have only been using pastels for about nine months so I am still learning...trying all of the different brands and papers and techniques. I got really excited when I first tried these becuase they are so different.

I am blessed that art is my hobby so I can make these last for a long time. And I have found that the very lightest touch still lays down great color so as much as I have played with them, I do not seem to have used much of the sticks.

In the hands of you professionals I think you could create some most interesting effects.

#115   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorix
It has been interesting to read about the Roché pastels here.

I can now add my own opinion, as I've tested 7 colours, and written a review of how they performed on 3 different papers.

Even more, I found out how Edgar Degas could fixate and layer, fixate and layer -- the Roché pastels do not change even with several layers! Very exciting!

I hope it is OK to link to my blog, where the Roché Review is. If it isn't kosher, I apologise.

What a great review Charlie. It does seem that Roche pastels offer something extra for the money. Up until this point I wasn't convinced that they did, but I'm thinking differently now. I'm not ready to add them to my palette just yet, I've got other pastels that I've had my eye on for a while now. Maybe at a later time I would consider adding a few to my arsenal. My only problem would be what colors do I buy? I would think at that price you would get very particular. I'd really have to think about it so as not to make a mistake.

I hope you post a painting done with these Sherry, I'd love to see something!

dimaurodustyeasel.blogspot.com
  #116   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
North West Arkansas

Hails from United States

Interesting reading. Today while finishing a small fall evening landscape, I had the occasion to use some of the Townsend Terrages and Soft form that I had acquired years ago, in addition to the three Roches's that I have. Both are similar in application to the paper and both allow very strong impasto strokes without trying to push the stick through the paper. Quite an eye opening experience. Only problem now, how do I justify the expense of adding to my meager collection? Where is the Pastel Addicts Association when you really need them???

John

And then I just made the "mistake" of reading Charlie's review. Running and ducking hoping that the PAA people DO NOT find me. :-) By the way, a great review Charlie.

Last edited by johndill01 : 03-11-2012 at 10:07 PM.
  #117   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

They're out buying pastels, John.

Doug
  #118   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Anaheim, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by japonaise
Ed: You may want to try Diane Townsend Pastels. They are hand made and contain pumice. J

Actually this could be true if the Roches are gritty like some people have said, they might be similar to Diane Townsend. I have a small set of DT Soft Forms and I really like them! You can definitely feel the pumice, yet they are fairly soft and rich in color. And MUCH less expensive than the Roche!

Jason
  #119   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Charlie......an excellent review.......another review that would be very interesting would be a comparison between Roche and Townsends, both with pumice.......can you get Townsends over there? If not maybe Sherry can do one for us over here!
  #120   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr! Pastel Addicts Association must be a special subcategory of Art Supply Addicts Anonymous (we're not trying to quit, it's all about enabling!). That's so awesome, John.

Here's my best, very best excuse.

Art Supplies Always Pay For Themselves. Pastels are especially good at it. The first painting or two with the new ones usually pays for them and then after that everything else is gravy. I stopped worrying about cost a while back and now I'm more concerned with space and storage.

Charlie, your review is wonderful. I loved your example paintings. It makes sense to me - though it's funny to think the most expensive pastels are happiest with less expensive pastel paper, they're what they are. Quirky. I love the effect and am so glad you took that close-up comparison photo with your Unison swatches. That makes me think they will be awesome in combination.

Pretty much like you did in the grasses, Donna. They glow, they are so beautiful!

So cool you're getting the landscape and portrait full stick sets, Sherry. Those will be such a joy!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting