WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Re: experiences with Amsterdam Whitney Gallery?

I was just approached by them also, had a feeling it was a vanity gallery, I just asked them outright, did not want to waste time sending image, even though I have it on my computer and it would take me 2 minutes
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM

Hi everyone. thank you so much for a wonderful humorous info abot an Amsterdam Whitney Gallery. I submited my portfolio and... "Congratulations Dear Julia" I am just so dissapointed how people take advantage of artists and there "naivity". Yes i am not a business person but i still count money and if i am paying for service than i would like to get a good one. i am so glad to read about that Gallery, it will help me not to make a mistake.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 03:57 AM

Just for interest sake I looked at their website. Kind of looks like adults dressing up in children's costumes.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 01:38 PM

Hi everyone, I visited the gallery last week. There are more chairs, tacky cushions, cheap dollar store decorations than art works in that gallery. Not sure about showing there, too much stuff that takes the eyes off the works, too much to bump into. Strange uneasy place.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Miami Beach, Florida

Hails from United States

I too was recently approached by Amsterdam Whitney Gallery... There is a newer trend of Pay to Display with Representation and yes it sounds decent until you investigate into their track record of sales.... I don't mind paying for representation as long as there is justifiable backing behind these words/agreement. From the looks of it, it does not seem so with this particular case.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States

I just got an "invitation to submit my portfolio". This information has been useful.
I think I'll pass... (Although it IS flattering.... sigh)
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Helsinki, Finland

Hails from Finland

Me and a bunch of other Finnish artists were also offered the opportunity to send our portfolios there recently.
The thing us artist have in common is that we participated in an international art-fare in France a while back. Seems that they went through the participant-list and sent mail to a bunch of people... Thank goodness for this forum, I was already warming up to the idea of displaying my art there (although once I saw the photos of the gallery on their website, it did seem very amateur-ish - the photos as well as the website itself.)

Anyway, I forwarded this thread to the artists who have probably been contacted by the gallery so that they'll have more material and other people's experiences to base their decision on... whether to go there or not.

To me it seems like the gallery is some sort of stage for the owners to play their role-characters and have their grand champagne gala, and the art and artists are secondary, but that's just based on what I've seen/read online so I might be wrong of course.

As for 'vanity galleries'; that's pretty much all we have here in Finland so I can't say that that feature of the gallery would have alarmed me. Here it is most typical to pay some 2500-3500 for 3-4 weeks exhibition, and give some 35% of the sales to the gallery. And some higher profile galleries even require percentage of all sales happening 6 month prior and after the exhibition, so basically all your sales are taxed by the gallery for a year or so. I can't say I like how it it, but... that's how it is here. There's no risk for the gallery since the rent and expenses have been paid by the artist, and I agree with other writers that that does make it possible for the persons working at the gallery to be lazy about selling the art since it's not necessary to sell any, there's no problem if none is sold. If some is sold then that's extra-income but they don't have to rely on sales being made...
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM

I would like to say that the words "Pay to play" and "Vanity Gallery" can be thrown out the door. That makes no sense. You just gonna walk into MOMA and they give you, AN UNKOWN ARTIST, a show, just like that? Come own, pay to play, be vain, be proud and in love with your art and make an investment. Every Gallery in Miami FL is pay to play so is ART BASEL and it works! its business, the sales were record last year at ART BASEL. Or you can join some bull**** Coop gallery that nobody goes to because they are in a terrible location and make no money but every hispters loves to go there in their flannel tight jeans and say how they are all soo cool but cant seem to sell art and everyone else that pays is just stupid. Its your career your choise. You can approach it as a hispter Bohemian or a business man, but i would say moderate. Definitly, however, the Amsterdam Whitney is a scam preying on artists, but PAY to PLAY Galleries, some are good and do good work.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2012, 03:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

It seems to me I've heard that having vanity galleries, or whatever you choose to call them, on your resume, will hurt, rather than help, getting shows in regular galleries.

Have you been able to move to galleries where you don't have to pay to show as a result of your participation in pay to plays? (or whatever you want to call them).

The art business has changed a great deal in recent years, I'd be interested in hearing if your experience is different?
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2012, 05:03 AM

Hi,
I got an invitation to this gallery and thought it's suspect - particularly the aol address. Thankfully did some googling and came across the forum posts - thanks - saved me the effort of sending stuff through.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 AM
NW Ohio

Hails from United States

Thanks for all the posts on this scam gallery. So glad I looked this up before wasting any time after they approached me through an email. Any gallery that approaches me, I am quickly suspicious of. Legitimate galleries do not make you pay up front. They have no incentive to push your work, if they already get paid by the artist. It is no skin off their back or need to promote you if they already made money on your art without any sales. The loser is the artist, not them.

http://www.nancycupp.com
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 AM

Hello and I too want to thank this site. I was approached by the gallery just recently, and even if Im always suspicious about galleries that approach me trough the internet. I tough it canny as they asked for a portfolio.. That kind of made it more legitimate... But as a habit I googled the name and this is what I found... Even if I must say that the Galleries web pages are really amateurish and ugly, and the owners look strange?? As a Finnish artist I am used to the pay gallery system as it the only one that exist exept the museums. But here too you must know which one is good and has got a good reputation. Im participating in a art fair in Paris and as a Finnish artist here earlier writes, the Whitney gallery has probably just gone trough the list of attending artist and written e mails to them... Anyway this is a great site.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 AM

So I've been reading these things for a while now, mostly because I found it entertaining to see what other people thought of the gallery! I am a former gallery assistant at Amsterdam Whitney. I signed a confidentiality agreement upon working there, and I'm not one of the "three graces" mentioned in the previous post, but I wanted to let everyone know that this is NOT a scam. No one lives in Nigeria. It's not a closet that they're pretending is a real gallery. The space is actually quite large, and the following of artists and gallery guests is devoted and committed.

Yes, it's pay to play. Yes, the people who work there are not your typical art world folk. It's not for everyone, but it works for some people. But it IS real. Go check it out if you're in New York, you might find a piece of work or a new artist you love.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM

Knowing how badly artists want to have people see their work it's understandable that someone would exploit that. It doesn't just come from commercial entities, either. Our local 'arts' association (Siskiyou Arts Councel) is asking artists to pay $400 for a two week show in their tiny gallery. The upside is they only take their 40% sales commission on anything over $400 in sales. So, if you had a show and sold $600 worth of your art, the gallery would get $480 of it. Such a deal!