WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast
Germany

Re: Tranquility(Portrait) - WIP

WOW, that is a wonderful progress!
--------------------
Angela
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Oklahoma City

Hails from United States

Finished. I fixed it before taking a pic so it was hard to get it to focus correctly and focus on the flower petals. I like the realism but im still not satisfied with the look im hoping to achieve.

Its also pretty frustrating to try and fill a background in CP. May just need to start using toned paper.

Here's the Close up for Tess.

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 AM

IMO I would loose the petals. Cannot really tell what they are. Either darken them or put background in their place. On screen (which I am sure real life looks better) they look like white blotches.

But otherwise I think Tess is gorgeous! Really well done!
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Oklahoma City

Hails from United States

The petals are staying, mainly because they look fine standing right in front of it.

A already have fixative (gloss) on it so they get washed out when trying to photograph it.

I do plan to only do one color backgrounds or leave it white from here on out though.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Thanks for that detail shot!
Love really getting to *see* how other artists do things. lovely and soft so nicely rendered. Great job on that.

Toned paper can be really fun to work on. so yes! Give it a try and show us the results.
The other thing you could consider is using solvents on your background. It'll smooth things out and help the pigments soak into the paper. I'm totally awful with it. And I'm not always a fan of how it looks on others work-- part of what I love about cp is getting to *see* all the layers and pencil strokes. Solvents can make that go *poof*. but it can also speed up the process so... Might be worth the try.

Can't wait to see your next piece.
Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Desert Southwest

Hails from United States

Your skin and hair are just wonderful...nice work!

http://pat-erickson.artistwebsites.com/
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado Rockies

Hails from United States

WOW! What a finish! Hair is impressive, and it is outstanding in it's entirety.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 AM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

Outstanding work Tim, thanks for letting me look over your shoulder as you work.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

I think using a coloured paper next time would be perfect, the background has somehow taken away some of the focus of the feel of the portrait.
I adore the way you have rendered her lips and hair, very cleverly done and she certainly does glow. Her skin is lovely.
I love the way you have captured her pose and I think the arm and hand position really does convey the feeling of tranquility about her.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Tim, you went and did it...this piece is amazing. I like the petals, it gets your eye moving around the piece in some very unusual directions. The greatest thing about this piece, you stepped out of a comfort zone and I can see the growth from this work. I know for certain I will be studying the way you rendered the hair, It fulminates...I love, love, love the hair. Yeah of course there are some things I see I would have done differently but what you have here, you should be very, very pleased with and what you are not happy with fix in your next piece. I can't wait to see what your next piece will be...

Portraity
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member

I love this portriat! It's so sensual. Very well done.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Oklahoma City

Hails from United States

Thanks all. George, yes im taking this one as a learning experience. This was my first figure based project at this size so every aspect was a new test for me. I probably would have stuck to a single color background given a re-do. I hope to start something new or this one again soon.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Oklahoma City

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone for your support and help along the way
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Canada

Hails from Canada

wow, this is just amazing work ! ! I particularly love the smoothness of the skin tones, the lips are particularly well done, and that head of hair ! love love the hair

as for the bg, without the petals would have made your piece look more dramatic, but with the petals it works too....it actually made me think of the 70s for some reason, I remember the cover of all the albums I used to purchase with the face of a beautiful female singer , like Donna Summer.

so congrats, I love your piece !

I'm just wondering if you drew her from your imagination, or if you have a model, or used a reference photo ? I'm very jealous of your subject...lol....I've been looking high and low for a beautiful reference to do a portrait of an african american
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Oklahoma City

Hails from United States

The model is From modelmayhem . Com. I can sometimes work out agreements for references on there if I offer a copy of the finished work.