WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States
Questions on Tole Painting

Hi All, I have a question and hope y'all may help...My(grown) daughter just took up Tole(Folk Art)painting and was wondering of any of you knew of any really helpful sites she could go to, kinda like wet canvas with a good free question and answer fourm??..We don't seam to have one here
...I have given her just about all of my old books, brushes and some paints, but thought it would be fun for her to interact with others doing the same thing...So far she's been painting on tiles, mugs and flower pots and using the one stroke method and for just starting out with just the books and a few you-tube videos..doing a terrific job and even sold her first piece!!

So hoping anyone can help in this quest??

Thank You, Azure
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Quebec, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Questions on Tole Painting

Hi found these sites that might help you.

http://www.tolefriends.com/

http://www.toleaway.com/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Azure,
I started with WetCanvas looking for the same - found none and I'm now into watercolours and gouache. But I do have an old site here with some free designs and lessons she might be able to use.
Another site - not like here though - is Brush Bunch
Ros
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

Thank You Frankie and Ros..I know Tole painting has kinda lost favor with most, but back in the late 70's, 80's and 90's was quite the to-do thing...I had a ton of fun with it and still have some wooden pieces yet...My favorite was Rosemilling...Then I got caught up in the more traditional type of painting and kinda left it behind...But helping her has drawn me back and all the fun I had doing it...

Thank You again for the sites, I'll go check them out now..
Azure
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

We used to have a few Tole Painters here, not sure if they're still around. Hopefully they'll see your post and chime in. It's a beautiful art...

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

Michele, I agree, I would be nice to see some others pop in that are still doing it, or just learning...There are so many different types and styles of Folk Art that it makes it fun to learn or do and you can paint on just about Anything!...Plus nothing better if you like giving handmade gifts or even things to sell...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Check out the Society of Decorative Painters. You can search for their site. They also have a really great magazine with all forms of traditional and modern decorative painting and tole painting. The new issue has a fabulous rosemaling snowflake box. Let me know if you find everything you need there.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

You could try searching online for folk and decorative art sites, as there are still a few societies around with advice, free designs etc. plus links to other sites. Try www.sfdav.com.au for starters! Gail
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks Gail, I did look on line(we both have), but most are, places that make you pay to join and dont have the type of forum where she can interact with others like here..Some did have a free lesson or two, but in order to ask questons, you have to pay and join..But none have the free forums like here

Azure