WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 PM

Whites

What is the difference between the various whites that are available-eg Titanium white, Zinc white etc...?
When would one use Unbleached Titanium?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Re: Whites

Titanium is more opaque and chemically stable then others. Zinc White is transparent, cool white but also can react with atmospheric moisture and carbon dioxide forms Zinc Carbonate and because of this can make a brittle film when painted thickly.
Therefore Zinc-Titanium white composition is often better.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Hi, welcome to the forum. A good general tip, it's usually worth trying a search where there might be existing threads on the same subject (as we ask in the starting tips thread ) as this can net you answers immediately, without having to wait for replies.

In this case there are a number of prior threads on whites, at least eight, here in Colour Theory, as well as a number in the forums specific to the medium you're using - I presume since you're asking about white that you're using oils and/or acrylics?

In relation to Unbleached Titanium, that would be used in various ways by different people but it can be used in place of white as a general lightener, yielding more subdued, slightly greyer mixes.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
East of Eden

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleya
When would one use Unbleached Titanium?
Unbleached titanium can actually be pretty useful for skin tones, I found some time back. I haven't used it for a while, having become completely enamored of lead white; but I plan to at some point reintroduce it to my palette.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 07:25 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Gamblin has a good page of info on whites for a start.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2012, 05:39 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Unbleached Titanium, that would be used in various ways by different people but it can be used in place of white as a general lightener, yielding more subdued, slightly greyer mixes.

I have a friend who uses Unbleached titanium for precisely this reason. Her work is all soft tones with a vintage look and for "white" in the settings she uses unbleached titanium so it seems aged.

Tina.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 PM

thank you-going to look at the color theory thread.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einion
In this case there are a number of prior threads on whites, at least eight, here in Colour Theory, as well as a number in the forums specific to the medium you're using - I presume since you're asking about white that you're using oils and/or acrylics?

Einion, I believe zinc white isn't compatible with acrylics. So far, I haven't seen any brand that sells it. The closest I've seen to a transparent white in acrylics is Winsor & Newton's "Mixing white", which only has Titanium.

Quote:
In relation to Unbleached Titanium, that would be used in various ways by different people but it can be used in place of white as a general lightener, yielding more subdued, slightly greyer mixes.
Einion

Tell me about it! Phtalo blue (green shade) + Buff titanium = a beatiful, somewhat opaque turquoise. I get some nice "pastel" colors from it, too. I'd rather get a mix though (it can be achieved using raw umber light + titanium white), because "unbleached" is actually heated up Titanium white that reverts back to its white color over time.

Last edited by Mythrill : 03-07-2012 at 08:01 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 AM
Lord of the Arts
East of Eden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythrill
because "unbleached" is actually heated up Titanium white that reverts back to its white color over time.
There are unbleached titanium whites that are simply less-processed than the bright white pigment, and still contain a portion of natural iron oxide, dulling the color. Other brands actually mix in a little iron oxide into the bright white pigment to get a similar color.

I've read about the heating thing here and there, but I don't know anything about it. I'm not sure why anyone would take the trouble to do that when they could just mix in a little iron oxide and be done with it.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Einion, I believe zinc white isn't compatible with acrylics. So far, I haven't seen any brand that sells it.
Fairly widely available in acrylics today - Golden, Liquitex, D-R, Blick's house brand, Tri-Art.

Quote:
The closest I've seen to a transparent white in acrylics is Winsor & Newton's "Mixing white", which only has Titanium.
Their Mixing Whites in acrylic used to be made from Zinc White.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Fairly widely available in acrylics today - Golden, Liquitex, D-R, Blick's house brand, Tri-Art.

Their Mixing Whites in acrylic used to be made from Zinc White.

Einion

Oh, true! We can buy Zinc White in acrylics! I haven't noticed this before. Do they have the same delamination problems they do in oils?

About Winsor & Newton, I didn't know about that. All I know is that I have a tube from the old brand, and it doesn't list Zinc White. Their new Artists' Acrylics line doesn't list it, either.

Last edited by Mythrill : 03-08-2012 at 12:34 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Why isent Zinc white compatible with acrylics?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by maleaco
Why isent Zinc white compatible with acrylics?
See post #10

Einion