WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Lord of the Arts
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Trouble with hair`s color

I painted woman`s hair using Phthalo Blue PB15.3 (because I got a lot of perfect Maimeri phthalo) and FBB Carmine PR146 mixture. It is looking nice under electric and room light, but when I put my painting on daylight a trouble appears. Color became too violet, with good value, but it has terrific "aniline" color and "bronzing" effect.

How can I fix this trouble?

I am a novice - noob in a portrait painting

Last edited by Gigalot : 01-17-2012 at 11:57 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2012, 08:41 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Hi Alex, the difference in how the colours look under different lighting is a tricky problem most people face at one time or another. Obviously under daylight the colours are showing up closest to the way they are and under artificial light you're seeing a restricted version of this because of the spectrum of the lighting.

But since artificial lighting could be thought of as a painting's 'natural habitat' you could decide that that's fine - you work from the perspective of how the painting is most likely to be seen, and if it looks good under artificial light that's pretty much what matters. However, if it's hung near a window you will begin to see some of the problem colouring you've described; plus, better artificial lights (bulbs/tubes with a broader spectrum, or a mix of lights that combine to give this) will probably begin to show the same thing.

As far as the bronzing specifically goes, I'm not aware of any way of really dealing with this directly. On the occasions when I've had the problem myself I've either lived with it or overpainted completely.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Re: Trouble with hair`s color

I found this:
"The term "bronzing," as used herein, refers to the phenomenon that a printed image has a metallic luster appearance rather than its intended color when viewed at an angle. Bronzing often manifests as a magenta sheen over cyan area fills, and a yellowish to reddish to bluish sheen over gray area fills. Generally, bronzing may be most severe at high gloss areas, and decreases at lower gloss areas."

Bronzing effect disappeared then I add a bit of black paint to my cyan-magenta black mixture. Now I`ll try to avoid very high petroleum colours concentration in the future!

Thank you, Einion. I overpainted all trouble places with glaze layer! It looks better now.

Last edited by Gigalot : 03-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.