WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Larry Seiler
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors OX_b4666342a1.showAdUnit("469607");

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2012, 12:19 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
End of quarter...my High School Paint student efforts..

That time of the year again...many know of my work as a painter, a past moderator here at WC...my instruction of artists online, webinars...workshops..but I get rare opportunity to share what I do on a daily basis, working with young people as a classroom art instructor.

I look forward to this time where my students having finished their works, their first long term painting effort (7-9 weeks to complete...45 minutes daily) learning about painting. Color..mixing...values, art appreciation working thru their frustrations, their many self-doubts. And then that breathe of relief, finished...and the pride you can see in their efforts.

I'll share a few...please feel free to comment, to encourage...and as each year, I encourage my students to go online...to read, to follow. Sometime....they even jump on and respond...say thanks! Or I'll do it for them...

this is Megan...and an 18"x 24" we callin' "Surf 'n Turf" of a scene along Lake Superior in upper Michigan. The challenges of forgetting what a thing is...as water, is shifting motion can be intimidating. The light reflecting off wet rocks...and the constant mantra was squint the eyes, forget what the thing is...just see the shape of the color/value area...mix it up, put it down..trust it will come together...

here the painting up close...

Here is Molly...at times so quiet, then like so many artists understand uttering her frustration...and it speaks to a genuine developing building passion. A good sign. One of the first to come in...set up, one of the last to leave...and impressed me. Not a quitter...has been a joy having her as a student...

12"x 24" Camp 20 Creek...

spots of color...! (put in the right places...heeheee... )

Another stick to it individual...quitting, failing is not an option...this is Whitney...

We live in a land of the truck. A national forest...a culture of the truck, and this old retired relic caught her eye of interest...

18"x 24"

and...I'll have to get a picture of this young lady, but her's, another 18"x 24"
Brittany...

Bear in mind we artist/members here at WC are accustomed to sharing with each others. Not only are these works their first concerted time labored efforts painting (acrylics)...but their first expose as young artists online. Pretty proud of them. I'm sure to add a couple more as they finish up...
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: End of quarter...my High School Paint student efforts..

They are a credit to your teaching Larry. They have talent and I would encourage them to join wetcanvas.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2012, 04:15 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I would hope they might continue painting...
in truth they are likely not. Well, not for now...or the foreseeable near future. They are taking (many of them) an advanced art coursework next semester which will deal more with conceptual three-dimensional work. I'm sure they will excel at that as well...but for many, it is likely an experience they'll look back at, and hopefully with some fondness.

Even have a fine former student that is now a teacher's aide here at our district, a fine photographer having done well for herself, was also a good painting student.

At worst...I hope these students will have gained some deep appreciation for art, for painting that will follow with them into their adult years. Seeing other artists at work, having a better understanding for what it would take to work as an artist. Something of insight that perhaps might lead to their being supporters of the arts.

I've had a number of students go on to arts in post-secondary education. Always nice when they return and come visit...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:33 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Well done, all of them ! a credit to you, Larry I am sure they will go on to be supporters of the arts if nothing else. It was my positive experience in highschool art that kept the idea of going back to it alive in my mind, in my 30's I was back at it at night school and it has been rewarding me ever since.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

good affirmation, and to hear...thanks Lynn...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Took a picture of Brittany with her painting...

Brittany is a very independent focused..self-disciplined art student. Funny...each year I seem to get one or two students that inform me they cannot draw, paint...can't do art. And it is quite rewarding to see such a student blossom and come into their own...the light bulb come on, and to see them get excited. Happy to say...that Brittany has signed up to work with me another semester as an independent art student before graduating here...!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

These are all very well done! I do have to say that my favorite is the old truck.

My Etsy store
My Website donnatriska.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
So. MN

Hails from United States

All I can say is WOW! These artists have really taken your lessons to heart. I wish that I was that good in high school. I hope that they all go on and study more or at least paint for pleasure. Their work should be inspiring for next quarter's class.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks Donna, Margie...
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Your students have produced very lovely paintings. It really is an inspiration to see what the HS students can do in the arts. Hope they continue with art throughout their lives.

Barbara

http://www.bjranous.weebly.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:02 PM
A WC! Legend
South of Boston, MA

Hails from United States

These girls all have beautiful paintings completed. I couldn't choose a favorite since they are so different and so accomplished. Lovely girls too.
I wish them well for the future.

If they ever visit Boston, tell them to check out the Museum of Fine Arts. Its a great place for every age and the new pavilions are excellent. Good food too. Right around the corner is another favorite, The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum which is a castle she had shipped over from Italy and reconstructed here in the Back Bay, filled with wonderful works of art. Both accessible by public transportation and make for a fun day.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks for taking the time to comment...and offer your thoughts! Very kind, appreciated...
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Larry, they are all so good! That has to be a wonderful feeling, especially with the ones that come in swearing they have no talent, can't do it, etc. etc. - I know when I teach beginners who are scared of it and they reach the point they like their paintings, it's an incredible joy.

It won't surprise me if these young women do more than take art again in college, if some of them go on to design and other art jobs or become freelance painters. You've got them all past the point they'd ever have to say "Do you want fries with that?" They could go to any art fair or farmer's market with a good variety of landscapes and come home with real money. Those that decide to stick with it as a hobby and do something else for a living won't lack for the best supplies either.

You are doing something wonderful, Larry.

This is inspiring me once again to think about teaching locally - maybe volunteering to teach a program at one of my local schools, my church, one of many local disabled groups or the senior center - the senior center is a good possibility because it's right on my block. If I volunteered to teach a workshop there I'd have no transportation problems getting to it. That might be the best place to start if I want to do a good local workshop.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 03-07-2012 at 09:25 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

ahh...so affirming, thanks Robert...

teaching is quite gratifying when it touches souls...and especially the turn arounds. Those that are negative on their potentials...then suddenly full of vision, hope...creative energy!!!