WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Partner: Virtual Art Academy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Online Education Manager
Cincinnati, OH

Hails from United States
Welcome new partner!

Please join me in welcoming Virtual Art Academy to WetCanvas!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2011, 01:34 PM
A Local Legend
Near Barcelona.

Hails from Canada
Re: Welcome new partner!

I'll be interested to see how this works.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

where is this Virtual Art Academy?

website/blog
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Good question! We are really a globally distributed operation. The Virtual Art Academy consists basically of myself and Barry John Raybould. I currently live in England and do all of the administration, answer emails from students, write the monthly newsletters, manage the website, and format all of Barry's course materials. Barry John does all of the research into painting, designs and writes the course materials, and of course produces beautiful paintings! He currently divides his time between his various studios around the world in Italy, Panama and China, depending on his current painting project. (He actually is British but lived in the US for over 20 years - which is why he is an artist member of the California Art Club).

Our academy does not have a physical location since all of our art course materials are designed to be downloaded to your computer for you work on them in your own home or studio, and at your own pace (you can take as much time as you like to finish the course). Much of our marketing has historically been done via the Australia-based International Artists Magazine who have endorsed Barry's courses, and who publish in all the major English speaking countries of the world (England, the United States, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand). They have sponsored us almost since our inception in 2005. Our programming services and servers are based in the UK and the US.

Our community of students is truly international and our students come from over 50 different countries around the world. They all meet via our Online Campus, where you download the series of structured assignments that form the backbone of the Virtual Art Academy course and share your work with other members. We feel that a group of motivated and mutually supporting students who are all following the same structured program of study and working from the same curriculum is the closest to having an Academy with instructors. You become a part of this community with your monthly Virtual Art Academy membership.
We do not provide instructors for two reasons. First of all, the cost would be ten times as much if you had an instructor, and secondly, and perhaps even more importantly, because Barry wants to control the quality of the teaching. Having said that, many of our members by the way are professional artists in their own right who have chosen to learn from Barry to fill in gaps in their knowledge. Many of these experienced members often help out the less experienced students. Our students tell us that it is the comprehensiveness and academy-caliber quality of the materials that distinguishes our course from anything else they have found on the internet, combined with a friendly international community.

So in summary, we are a global community. In fact Barry likes to call himself a world citizen! We are very proud that our students come from so many diverse backgrounds and countries around the world, all joined together by our common love of art.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,
Jacqui
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2011, 03:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
Living the dream on the Riviera

Hails from United Kingdom

Colleen, I've been subscribed to the free newsletter for quite a while now. I have found it very useful with good info in it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2011, 09:10 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

thanks, I just did that a few days ago, seems like he could have more presence here so people could figure out what this is. IMO he has the best online art course out there. He has in his program more good information and practice about how to become a good artist than I got in 4 years of art school. Best of all its so logical how he has it all laid out, each block a solid foundation for the next.

I am not currently a member, nor have I taken his courses so I'm not being paid to say this But I have gone through all his course videos and his descriptions, and just reading that improved my work and brought out new ideas.

I'm going to sign up for the Notan section as my first encounter, soon I hope. Its nice he makes it possible to take sections if you can't afford the whole thing all at once and lets you upgrade to the whole course later.

Hope this doesn't get taken down but I'm going to put a link up here for people to find this on the internet, hope this does not violate any rules I'm unaware of....I did it for Rosemary and Co and her brushes and it seemed to be ok...

website/blog
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM
A Local Legend
Near Barcelona.

Hails from Canada

Colleen, your link shouldn't be any problem at all since Virtual Art Academy is now a Partner here.

Very pleased to see Marion's recommendation, I'm going to look into this.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2011, 06:16 AM

Hi Colleen,
Thanks for your comments. If anyone has any questions about Barry's Virtual Art Academy program I'd be very happy to answer them for you in our forum here.
kind regards
Jacqui
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2011, 06:24 AM

Hi Colleen,

For some reason when you search for "Virtual Art Academy" in the WetCanvas forums you get a programming error message, so anyone looking for postings on Wetcanvas from any of Barry's self-study course or workshop students cannot find them. So in case anyone is interested I've listed some of the postings I know about here:

Some comments from Wetcanvas members who have purchased the Virtual Art Academy program:

Some comments from Wetcanvas members who have attended a workshop with Barry:

A couple of threads on Barry and his artwork on Wetcanvas:
kind regards,
Jacqui
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2011, 08:35 AM

Hi,
Barry John here. I wrote an article earlier this year for the inaugural issue of Plein Air Magazine. The article was a detailed critique of this painting by Joaquin Sorolla and an overview of how I critique paintings.

In the review I focus on the elements of both poetry and music in Sorolla's work. I think there are some great lessons to be learned from Sorolla's paintings that I hope you find interesting.

For more information see my blog where you will find a link to download the full article.

Here's an extract from the article:

"Master paintings share two key characteristics. First, they accurately represent a subject and are focused on communicating an idea or emotion. I refer to this aspect of a great painting as the “poetry” of a painting, or the content the artist is trying to convey to viewers. When you look at a master painting, you are moved in some way, and the memory of it stays with you. Master paintings of course demonstrate great drawing and color skills, but those expertly handled skills are focused on presenting an idea.

The second key characteristic of a master painting is a strong abstract design that is independent of the subject matter. I refer to this as the “music” of the painting, or the sensuous, non-intellectual part. It is created with rhythms and harmonies in shapes, lines, edges, and colors and is analogous to the rhythms in music and the harmonies between individual notes."

Read more here on my blog.

I hope you find this helpful. If anyone has any questions on the Virtual Art Academy program by the way, feel free to contact me, or post a question here.

Happy painting!

Last edited by b123 : 11-20-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: want to put it in a new thread just for master critiques.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 AM

I'm a huge fan. I started with the color unit and it was a challenge but learned so much! Working my way through the full course and each unit is fabulous.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodysw
I'm a huge fan. I started with the color unit and it was a challenge but learned so much! Working my way through the full course and each unit is fabulous.
Thanks Melody(?), It's nice to have your feedback!
Barry

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM

If a person worked at the full course say 36 hr per week, how long would the average person take to complete this program?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2012, 08:36 PM

It's hard to be precise, but around three to four years. A lot depends on how thorough you are and how much you repeat the assignments. The more you repeat them the better you get.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM

Here are two paintings from my recent South Africa painting trip. There is some more information on them on my blog.