WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#136   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 PM

Re: Show us your palette colors and tell us why: 2006-present

I have a pretty extensive arsenal of oil paints; I love color! There are so many delicious colors that I couldn't resist trying and they never left my palette.
The majority of the paints are single pigment paints, but there are some exceptions.

I actually don't normally have all 32 pigments laid out at once as I first decide on the palette before beginning the painting. When I do lay them out, they always take the same positions on the palette as indicated below.

Last edited by Paint_Tube : 03-06-2012 at 11:47 PM.
  #137   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 04:46 PM

i don't know the proper names for them; i just buy whatever looks best </amateur> but..

red
yellow
blue
white

...that's it

I figure, why spend more money on a whole tube of decent paint, to use a little bit (or even a lot) when you can invest in the primary colours and a LOT of white - and make every colour ever dreamt of. with a bit of skill and luck(!)

No black though... I used to get told off in art class for using black, "if you have to use a black pencil, then you can't really see what you're looking at, and if you can't see it, how can you expect to draw it" EUGH. Miss Johnson. I guess it's just stuck.

but that's acrylic and watercolours.. if it's oils I'll use whatever tasty colours I can get my hands on!
  #138   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 AM

Hails from St Vincent and the Grenadines

This thread looks fun so I want to reply!
I have a few different colors for acy and oils. I just started doing a very limited pallette with oils and it is working pretty well since I can blend so much easier!

Oils
Torrid Grey
Gold Ochre
Cad Redmed
Zinc White

Acyrlic
Quin Magenta
Yellow Ochre
Raw Sienna
Hansa Yellow
Cad Redlite
Cad Yellow Hue
Pyrrole Orange
Thalo Green
Colbalt Blue Hue
Mang Blue Hue
Cerulean Blue
Thalo Blue
Zinc White & tia white
  #139   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

It does look like a fun thread. I want to play too I also have a few acrylic paints and some gouache (thinking of selling the gouache though since I've had it for nearly a year and haven't used it), but for now I'll start off with my watercolours, since they're what I use most. I should mention that aside from this, I have several tubes (more than 30; made the rookie mistake of buying ALL THE COLOURS! and I think a lot of them I either won't use or could easily mix, so I'm going to go through and sell some of them as well), as well as the Lukas 1862 48 colour set.

Here is my recently acquired WN Field Box, with a few colours changed and added:

Winsor Yellow, Indian Yellow, Winsor Red, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Quinacridone Magenta, Winsor Green (Yellow Shade), Winsor Blue (Green Shade), French Ultramarine, Yellow Ochre, Quinacridone Gold, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Payne's Grey and Chinese White. (I removed the Winsor Yellow, Raw Umber and Ivory Black that originally came with it)

I figure this is sort of limiting but not too much so, and so far while I've been playing with it, I've been able to mix pretty much any colour I thought of. I was planning to replace Winsor Blue with Cerulean Blue, but when I actually compared the colours, I decided I liked the Winsor Blue much better (and I can get pretty close to Cerulean by watering down the WB anyway). I really love the violets and purples I can get with the Quin Magenta

#140   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Central Coast , California

Hails from United States

I have a preference for transparent colors, as they mix so well. They makes beautiful rich colors! I have found the below selection to be extremely useful, as it is capable of mixing any color. It is a more or less based on a split palette theory, with all modern pigments, with the exception of one: yellow ochre. This is and has been for many years, Golden's minimal suggested palette. I use it in all paint mediums. I love it!

Napthol Red Light
Quin Magenta
Phalo Blue G shade
Phalo Green B shade
Hansa Yellow Med
Yellow Ochre
Titan White
Golden also recommends Zinc white, but I, personally, have never felt the need to use it.

http://www.goldenpaints.com/artist/mixguide.php

Last edited by Art_song : 05-26-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: I am bad speller and worse typist.
  #141   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaJFleming
It does look like a fun thread. I want to play too I also have a few acrylic paints and some gouache (thinking of selling the gouache though since I've had it for nearly a year and haven't used it), but for now I'll start off with my watercolours, since they're what I use most. I should mention that aside from this, I have several tubes (more than 30; made the rookie mistake of buying ALL THE COLOURS! and I think a lot of them I either won't use or could easily mix, so I'm going to go through and sell some of them as well), as well as the Lukas 1862 48 colour set.

Here is my recently acquired WN Field Box, with a few colours changed and added:

Winsor Yellow, Indian Yellow, Winsor Red, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Quinacridone Magenta, Winsor Green (Yellow Shade), Winsor Blue (Green Shade), French Ultramarine, Yellow Ochre, Quinacridone Gold, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Payne's Grey and Chinese White. (I removed the Winsor Yellow, Raw Umber and Ivory Black that originally came with it)

I figure this is sort of limiting but not too much so, and so far while I've been playing with it, I've been able to mix pretty much any colour I thought of. I was planning to replace Winsor Blue with Cerulean Blue, but when I actually compared the colours, I decided I liked the Winsor Blue much better (and I can get pretty close to Cerulean by watering down the WB anyway). I really love the violets and purples I can get with the Quin Magenta

That's a great watercolor palette. Personally, I'd substitute the zinc white for titanium, since when you need white in watercolor, you usually need the most opaque white you can get! But I love your color choices. (As long as I have quin gold, pure PR206 and ultramarine, I can be happy. )

Jamie
  #142   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Phoenix

Hails from United States

My palette is always changing a little bit. Though my basic landscape palette tends to be:

-Titanium/Zinc white mix
-Yellow Ochre
-Quinacridone Rose
-Prussian Blue or Ultramarine

I'll add Cadmium Lemon if the landscape calls for more vibrant greens (I don't get that too often painting mostly AZ landscapes), I'll also add Burnt Sienna, Terra verte, or some other earth tones for convenience when painting outdoors.

I've been working with a Zorn palette lately too. As well as the cad lemon, pyrrole red and ultramarine primary palette. It all depends on the subject.

-Matt
  #143   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:04 PM

Hi everyone,

Awesome thread, I always enjoy looking at and learning about artist's palettes!

I'm currently using a fairly basic setup. It's based on Titian's palette and 19th century French academic palettes, but featuring colors that are neither too expensive nor difficult to find.

1. Titanium White (Old Holland or Lefranc)
2. Naples Yellow Extra (Old Holland)
3. Yellow Ochre (M. Graham)
4. Vermilion (Lefranc)
5. Red Ochre (Old Holland)
6. Venetian Red (Old Holland)
7. Emerald Green (Lefranc)
8. Ivory Black (Old Holland)

I might also use Burnt Sienna and/or Umber for underpaintings occasionally. Sometimes maybe ultramarine for glazes. If I need a brighter red, I might add W&N's Scarlet Lake (which is essentially a pyrrole vermilion).

For some funky subjects I might need Quinacridone Violet or Cad Orange, but in general I can do with the 8 colors mentioned above. Lastly I have an alkyd Mixing White by W&N that I might use to help with the drying time.

I use a simple mix of OMS and refined linseed oil (mostly 1:1). In final glazes I might use stand oil. Sometimes I add a bit of Liquin Light Gel to my paints to help with the drying time.

I live in the Netherlands, so the Old Holland brand is easy to come by and actually slightly cheaper than the Winsor & Newton. I like them a lot, although lately I'm really enjoying paints by Lefranc & Bourgeois and most notably M. Graham.
  #144   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2012, 03:32 AM
Wroclaw

Hails from Poland

Hi,

I am still experimenting with colors but for now I use for acrylics:

titanium white +
primary yellow (going toward green) +
perma. yellow medium (orange undertone) +
yellow greenish (probaly will get rid of this one) -
orange (not necessary, i will leave this one or sandal red to mix orange ) -
raw sienna (easy to get yellow orche from this one) +
Vermilion (warm red) +
alizarin crimson (cool red) +
sandal red (its nice but not necessary) -
phtalo green (to mix light greens) +
sap green (to mix dark greens) +
ultramarine (warm blue) +
phtalo blue (cool blue) +
violet +
raw umber (still thinking if its necessary) -
black +

All these are Maimeri Polycolor or Maimeri Acrilico, before i used Amsterdam but did not fit me.

"+" means that color will stay in my palette for a long time

Adam

Last edited by adamsaso : 11-22-2012 at 03:35 AM.
  #145   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Seattle, WA

Hails from United States

I'm still new and experimenting, but this is my current palette. I like to use Daniel Smith or M Graham, as those are companies local to me. I also try to use the least toxic pigments and single pigments when possible. These are all watercolor, which is a new experience for me (gravitated towards pencil and acrylics in the past).

Mineral pigments - I like these more than I thought I would. They make interesting mixtures and some are beautiful all by themselves, and surprisingly I really like granulation.

MG terra rosa (PR101) - super strong, nice in mixes though
MG yellow ochre (PY43) - love it
WN nickel titanate (PY53) - weak, to be replaced by PY151 (organic pigment)
MG viridian (PG18) - lovely in mixes
MG ultramarine blue (PB29) - lovely
MG ultramarine pink (PR259) - pretty by itself but very weak, will try PV15 or PV16 next, or maybe DS rhodonite
MG lamp black (PBk6)
MG chinese white (PW6)
I'd love to try DS sleeping beauty turquoise and serpentine too.

Synthetic organic pigments - I find these tend to be harsh to my eye, and uninteresting in themselves. Sometimes they make interesting mixtures though. I think I may keep a few to add punches of color, used sparingly. The ones I have currently are left over from my school days.

quin red (PR19) - nearly out, to be replaced by DS quin magenta (PR202) or MG quin violet (PV19)
plan to get PO73 soon.
perm green light (PG7+PY3) - to be replaced by PG36
Cotman phthalo blue (PB15) - to be replaced by PB15:3

Last edited by earthnut : 11-26-2012 at 07:18 PM.
  #146   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 PM

Thumbs up Re: Show us your palette colors and tell us why: 2006-present

New to painting very new. Wondering where you get transparent colors I see on peoples palletts have not seen them anywhere. Or how do you make transparent colors. Marine 66 (Timothy)
  #147   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine66
New to painting very new. Wondering where you get transparent colors I see on peoples palletts have not seen them anywhere. Or how do you make transparent colors. Marine 66 (Timothy)
A colour's transparency generally depends on the pigment used, ie. some pigments are naturally more transparent than others, while some are quite opaque. Manufacturers generally list the opacity/transparency of a colour in their colour charts. For example, have a look at the colour chart for Winsor and Newton's watercolours here, and try clicking on the swatches for Permanent Rose and Venetian Red. You will see that Permanent Rose is listed as transparent, while Venetian Red is listed as opaque. I have both of these colours and when I paint over a black line with PR, the line is fully visible, whereas if I do it with VR, the line is almost completely covered.

Of course, if you water a the paint down enough, even an opaque paint will become semi-transparent, if not completely transparent (you need a LOT of water though).

If you want to have all transparent colours, you just need to check on the manufacturer's colour chart that the paints you are buying are transparent.

#148   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthnut
WN nickel titanate (PY53) - weak, to be replaced by PY151 (organic pigment)

The beauty of PY53 is that is somewhat close to the pale variety of genuine Naples Yellow Light (PY41.) Mix it with Pbr26 (usually sold as "Naples Yellow [Hue]" or "Naples Yellow Deep") to get an astonishing, yet subtle bright yellow. Or, if you want to be bolder, you can cool down Arylide Yellow 10G (PY3) with it and making it brighter at the same time.
  #149   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2013, 11:42 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Illinois

Hails from United States

Here's the color palette that I am currently using for acrylic painting. I've shown each color's masstone, tint at color:white ratio of 1:1, and tint at color:white ratio of 1:10. The white I am tinting with is the same one in the palette, titanium white, PW6.

Note that although I am currently using a rectangular (plein air) palette, this layout would work equally well with an oval (studio) palette. All colors are Golden heavy-body and Golden historical heavy-body acrylic colors.

For the list of colors, below, I've numbered the colors on the palette from 1 to 12 starting in the lower left corner.
  1. Hansa Yellow Medium, PY73
  2. Nickel Azo Yellow, PY150
  3. Yellow Ochre, PY43
  4. Titanium White, PW6
  5. Pyrrole Red Light, PR255
  6. Permanent Violet Dark, PB60/PR122
  7. Smalt Hue, PB29/PV23/PBk7
  8. Ultramarine Blue, PB29
  9. Anthraquinone Blue, PB60
  10. Azurite Hue, PW4/PB15:1/PBr7
  11. Titan Buff, PW6:1
  12. Violet Oxide, PR101
Factors that went into the selection of these colors include the following. I wanted to include lots of yellows and blues to increase the alternatives I had for mixing greens. I esp. like violets, so I have lots of them and not so many oranges (in fact, I have no oranges). I wanted to avoid the cadmiums and cobalts (for toxicity reasons) and the pthalos (because they are so hard to lift towards white). I wanted a set of colors that would work esp. well for painting landscapes, which is what I do the most. I wanted most of my colors to be single-pigment colors. And I wanted to stay within one brand of colors. One reason I chose Golden paint is because so many of their colors are single-pigment colors (compare Liquitex). Another reason is because they have so many colors available, including the beautiful smalt and azurite hues.

Last edited by opainter : 08-26-2013 at 12:02 AM.
  #150   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2013, 01:25 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

I made a quick palette in Photoshop:

It looks weird to me, but these are the colors I use. Some I mix and some I use out of the tube. But I'm an abstract painter.

Everything across the top I make with two or more colors (mostly Gamblin - I use oils).

Titanium White and Mars Black. Cobalt Blue & Violet, Cadmium Red Deep, Green, Yellow Light, Orange Deep. Yellow Ochre and Sap Green.

Then I use a few different brands for Flesh Tone and Raw Umber, and sometimes Yellow Ochre.

This was fun, thanks!