WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Stoughton, Massachusetts

Hails from United States
Re: Aviation art and artists

Just curious, does anyone know if they still have the aviation art show at Oshkosh?

I can't find much online and I have not gotten any answers to my emails directly to them.
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
north west uk

Hails from Scotland

love the harvard ronnie , one of my favourites i painted "the radial pair " an airshow act from over here that was flown in the late 80's by pop star gary numan and the late norman lees !!

#108   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
United Kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom

It has been a bit quiet around here, so I thought I would share an update on my B24. A lot of travel has impeded quick progress, but in turn allows sections to dry before continuation. I am studying the effects of battle and weather on wartime photographs in order to avoid model box appearance and demonstrate some wartime reality. Sooty engines appear to be the order of the day as opposed to the white staining on RAF bombers. No idea why though I undertstand that the white was something to do with quality (or not) of the fuel at that time. The working area is quite small to avoid getting paint where it is not wanted and being right handed, I find it easier to work from left to right. (The aft fuselage was painted in isolation and is long since dry. This means that some of the problems that are popping up need to wait for solutions. I particular the common tone around the nose wheel that effectively camouflages the wheel out of sight. I am not in the least worried about this but patience is necessary.
The soot from the engines will eventually discolour the tail fin/rudders and some battle damage repairs would be nice but little photographic evidence of this particular aircraft exist; not helped by a change of identity during its wartime service.
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Lord of the Arts
north west uk

Hails from Scotland

going good chas , enjoying this one slowly building up !!

#110   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Ottawa Ontario

Hails from Canada

The Lib is looking good. I believe that the whitish staining is due to lead in the fuel. Seem to recall reading that somewhere once upon a time.
  #111   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Ottawa Ontario

Hails from Canada

Here's an update for my Spit WIP. More detail on the spit itself, some work going into the background. An unfortunate blocking in colour near the nose makes it look deeper than it will end up. Lots more to do!
Attached Images

#112   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
N. East Scotland

Hails from Scotland

It still looks promising D'Arcy. The composition holds my eye in the picture. A sense of depth will come as you develop the tones in the background and aircraft.
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Hails from United States

That is fantastic, Chas! I'm thinking of doing some WWII aerial art.
  #114   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 04:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
north west uk

Hails from Scotland

that's looking very art decco like darcy !! looking forward to see some of your work if you do terrapin !!

#115   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
United Kingdom

As this has its own thread, I did not really wish to repeat updates here, but it is very quiet on this forum which is surprising really.

Should finish the base layer of the aircraft tomorrow, and then start looking at the Steam Roller.
  #116   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 04:53 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

My mach 2 run in the FB 111. Our mission was actually low level penetration but since the aircraft was designed to fly at mach 2, SAC decided that we would do a supersonic run now and then. After just a few supersonic flights one of the birds came home missing part of the vertical stabalizer, so no more surpersonic runs.

I had had plenty of supersonic runs in the B 58 and they weren't all that impressive anyway (from a pilot's stand point).

This is a 16 by 20 oil pastel.

Chas that B24 is looking great.
  #117   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
north west uk

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas McHugh
As this has its own thread, I did not really wish to repeat updates here, but it is very quiet on this forum which is surprising really.

the idea is to post in both chas if wished !! it is comming on superbly !!

did you catch my reply on soot deposits , i'd guess white deposits are left by a lean burning engine set up and black deposits by a rich burning engine set up

#118   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
north west uk

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by halthepainter

My mach 2 run in the FB 111. Our mission was actually low level penetration but since the aircraft was designed to fly at mach 2, SAC decided that we would do a supersonic run now and then. After just a few supersonic flights one of the birds came home missing part of the vertical stabalizer, so no more surpersonic runs.

I had had plenty of supersonic runs in the B 58 and they weren't all that impressive anyway (from a pilot's stand point).

This is a 16 by 20 oil pastel.

Chas that B24 is looking great.

gorgeous sky !! sets the subject off superb !!

#119   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
United Kingdom

The F1-11 is on my 'to-do-one-day' list and is missed in UK skies. I once worked at an Area Radar ATC Unit that covered East Anglia and we had F1-11 do supersonic runs up the North Sea. England to Scotland in double quick time, but not a patch on an SR71 recovery in terms of speed, or a TR1 recovery in terms of altitude.

The consensus on black v white in regards to engine staining varies according to combustion temp of the negines. RR Merlins (in line water cooled) are very different in design and cooling then an (air cooled) Wasp radial. Merlins stained white due to unburnt constituants of the fuel, and lead in particular. The Wasps on the other hand were/are prone to oil leaks and cracked cylinders, especially with extremes of temp (overnight cold soak v ops on heat). With external storage the aircraft would be effected by all weathers and not pretty, and this is what I strive to replicate, so that nice pristine tail fin is going to get some serious attention over the coming days with the lower half stained by sooty exhaust and second hand oil.
  #120   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
N. East Scotland

Hails from Scotland

The B24 painting is progressing well Chas .
Hal - good to see the F111 back where it belongs! One day I'll do a low level UK painting of one. Never did get to see one low down but ,being a low level, fan I can well imagine how they looked against some of our stunning locations.