WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 AM

Hails from United Kingdom
wacom tablet

I use a wacom tablet and stylus for digital painting and upto now I have always had a problem with the stylus slipping on the tablet whilst drawing.

Today I laid a piece of white printer paper cut to the size of the tablet window area and kept in position with masking tape as per photograph attached.

What a difference, try it, I am sure you will be delighted.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Re: wacom tablet

I've always wanted to get one of these but the thing holding me back is the cost for the largest size.

I figure the larger the size tablet, the more variety of strokes.
I don't want to feel confined.

How do you like that size? Would you want to upgrade? Is is easy enough to just move the digital page on the screen and pick up the line work where you left off on the tablet?

Buddha suggests to those who need inspiration for their art to go before a perfectly blank wall until it's design, compostion, and subject reveal itself. -Jack Rutherford
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 AM

Mine is the starter sized model and I can recommend the tablet 100%.

I have used cheaper brands over ten years ago and cannot recommend as highly.

Purchase the largest you can afford.

I have been using that paper surround now for around 12 days and will continue to put on another when paper surface wears.

( Looking at the wacom tips you can insert a photograph under their plastic shields and still operate the tablet pen. )
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Think of your computer screen as your drawing surface rather than the tablet.
The larger the size of the tablet, the more sweeping motions you will need to make with your hand because each point on the tablet corresponds to each point on your computer screen, e.g. left corner of tablet equals left corner of computer screen. For this reason I think that a smaller size tablet is more comfortable to use. Something to keep in mind when making your purchase.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2012, 03:14 AM

Never used a large size tablet so my comments are based on the A6 which is the smallest model, again I like it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Baltimore, Maryland

Hails from United States

Hey Sharkbarf,

I have been using the 6x8 Intuos since Photoshop 3 came out.
I have used some smaller ones but the 6x8 seems to be the most comfortable for me. I usually use two monitors, one for working and a smaller one for tools/email/calendar etc. This splits the 6x8 into two working areas, so in effect I am working on a smaller tablet but I don't notice any drawbacks.

My best advice is to buy one used, (there are always a bunch on craigslist or ebay).I just got one in great condition for $75.

When you get it, put your mouse away and use the tablet for everything, you will train your brain to use the tablet and look at the screen much faster that way. I don't think getting the largest size is necessary. Zooming in on areas allows you to get very precise when selecting or drawing small details.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Well it seems some like it big while other like it small. What ever floats your boat.

I'll get one when I can afford it.

Thanks everybody!

Buddha suggests to those who need inspiration for their art to go before a perfectly blank wall until it's design, compostion, and subject reveal itself. -Jack Rutherford
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 AM

sorry for my ignorance, but it's ALWAYS necessary to conect the tablet to the computer for painting? I thought it worked like... I don't know, like a block, that it was a portable thing, you know? Thats why I wanted an A4 or something like that.
I was thinking about purchase one, but if I have to be tied to the computer screen....
P.S I'm not english, so sorry for my mistakes, and sorry again for the estupid question
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

There might be some wireless drawing tablets, but you do need to be by your computer, how else will you see what you are painting?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerrabbit
sorry for my ignorance, but it's ALWAYS necessary to conect the tablet to the computer for painting? I thought it worked like... I don't know, like a block, that it was a portable thing, you know? Thats why I wanted an A4 or something like that.
I was thinking about purchase one, but if I have to be tied to the computer screen....
P.S I'm not english, so sorry for my mistakes, and sorry again for the estupid question

Your drawing tablet (Wacom or other), a device which does not have a screen, has to be connected to your computer either through a cable or wirelessly for you to see on the screen what you are doing. Unless, of course, you are thinking of an iPad, or similar tablet computer (which has a touch screen for you to draw on). These are computers, not screenless drawing tablets.

Last edited by micarmo : 03-05-2012 at 09:59 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 PM

:/ thanks, I've been doing a research, so I FINALLY understand how does it work, and I'm not sure what would be better to purchase but I guess I'll begin with a little tablet, because of the money, you know...
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micarmo
Your drawing tablet (Wacom or other), a device which does not have a screen, has to be connected to your computer either through a cable or wirelessly for you to see on the screen what you are doing. Unless, of course, you are thinking of an iPad, or similar tablet computer (which has a touch screen for you to draw on). These are computers, not screenless drawing tablets.
some of the really pricey ones do have screens on them... in particular cinteq. http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Cintiq.aspx ... but it's still a usb periperal for a computer, not a real computer itself... one grand for one at bestbuy, and that's the cheap, small one! Yikes.

Unfortunately, most tablet computers don't have the pressure sensitivity that wacom tablets do (yet)... so your ipad or transformer prime can just recognize one 'level' of pressure... either pressure or no pressure... no hundreds of degrees of pressure like there is with wacom. The reason for that is that tablets and ipads use a different type of thing... basically they use, if I understand it, an infared type of beam that is on the surface of the pad and your finger or stylus or whatever breaks the beam, and where the breaks are is where the lines show up... so with tablets you could have multiple brushes going on at once (use several fingers to finger paint, or maybe even use a real fan brush? etc.)... with the wacom pen where the pen is is where the line is... some hate that about tablets since it means more potential for smudging it while you paint with the side of your hand, etc... however, if you are smart about it, it sounds like being able to use more than one spot to paint in at once on tablets is actually a good thing if you use it that way, are aware of the potential and use the tool given.

However, I suspect that over time that will change. There is one laptop I've read about that does have a screen that is pressure sensitive but it's not cheap and it was put out a few years ago... can't remember the name off hand though.

As far as tablets go, the chips need to get better. By 2015 or so, hopefully they'll be powerful enough to start having the potential for pressure sensitivity, but the technology doesn't exist yet. I'm hoping it does in the next 5-10 years since a pressure sensitive descendent of the Transformer prime would kick ass.

Stark (named after Iron man) is supposed to be about 70 times faster than tegra 2... Top of the line today is Transformer Prime which has tegra 3 quad core in it...

Last edited by mastermesh : 03-17-2012 at 12:36 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast
UK

Jow, I did that too and it does work well but it wears your stylus down in record time. I ended up making a stylus out of a matchstick and that grips the slick surface of the tablet very well and is still going strong two years later.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemek
Jow, I did that too and it does work well but it wears your stylus down in record time. I ended up making a stylus out of a matchstick and that grips the slick surface of the tablet very well and is still going strong two years later.

Please tell more, a matchstick?

I have gone through three stylui (?) in 10 years even before I put the paper over the tablet. I think an early model used to come with a spare nib.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast
UK

Sorry for the late reply. I spent a good 30 minutes with a craft knife and sandpaper making an exact copy out of a match. No easier way to explain, other than cut match to length, shave a rough cylinder using the knife and then sand smooth taking care not to make it too thin or you have to start again. When you first use it it may feel odd because it really grips but after a wee bit of use it slightly lessens and feels much more natural. No skid or slip just the feel of an HB pencil on paper. Also haven't had to reshape the tip either.