WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Grand Haven, MI

Hails from United States
Re: Differently Abled Artists II

Hi Paint18,

I have a blind frend who has had both hips and both knees replaced. She has a leader dog and they now walk up to three miles a day in good weather. I guess we are all scared of the unknown, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to reach your altimate goal. In your case freedom of movement and less pain. You do what you can with the things you can control and leave the rest in the hands of the Lord. Ultamatly you know what you have to do...
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 PM
A Local Legend
I am lucky enough to live near Mt. Rainier and the Seattle Fault.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen Grantham
Dear Art Saves Lives, our group had a demo the other month by an artist who did most of his acrylic painting with house painting brushes. I wonder if this would be easier for you to manage since the handles are larger than traditional paint brushes. You can also buy colour pencils that are larger than the usual pencil size. Not sure how numb your hands get, so don't know if these ideas will help.

Thanks for the suggestion. It isn't so much just the hands, but the entire arm. I think big house paint brushes loaded with paint would wear me out!

I will figure out how to strap brushes to my wrist support braces if I have to.

As for colored pencil, I have a niece who may benefit from my retirement from that medium. I will likely stick to pastels and watercolor . . . .

Just not on days my hands are weak, numb, or tingling . . .

My blog: http://passionforpigment.blogspot.com/
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Hi Tad

I have Fibromyalgia too and was wondering what medications you are on and if they help.

The only thing that seems to work even a small bit is Gabapentin and Tylenol Arthritis or Tylenol 3 for the pain.
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Ohio

Hails from United States

Hello everyone, I hope all is well.

I have not posted in a while, so I thought I would pop in with an update.
It has been 11 months since my first hip replacement surgury, and 10 months since my second one. All is as well as it is going to be. Both hips are doing very well, I have gained a lot of movement back in them. I still can not stand straight though. I found out that I have scoloisis and another irregular curve in my spine. I saw an orthepedic spine surgeon and he said there is nothing that can be done for it. But he also said that it should not get worse, it is about as bad as it can get. So I will never stand straight Oh well, it could be worse.

Anyway, I hope everyone here is doing well. At least we have spring to look forward too

Becca
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 AM
SW FL

Hails from United States

Hi Becca
I'm a newbie,joined a while ago but hadn't been in for a very long time, anyway- that's not important.
Since there seems to be only older post here I wanted to wish you well : )
continue healing!
Welcome back!
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM
SW FL

Hails from United States

Is there anyone here diagnosed with fibromyalgia?
Does anyone usee this thread?
Let's see if we can rev this up a bit
Everyone's busy being creative I suppose ; )
Reen
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicoloreen
Is there anyone here diagnosed with fibromyalgia?
Does anyone usee this thread?
Let's see if we can rev this up a bit
Everyone's busy being creative I suppose ; )
Reen

Hi Reen, I have Fibromyalgia-see post #93 by me above.

Welcome back! :-)
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:37 PM
SW FL

Hails from United States

Saw the post but it's from 5 yrs ago. So why no post since then?
Aren't there any others here with issues?
Maybe all the differently abled artist are busy being artistic! : ) Which is what I should be doing now since I'm having a decent day- time's a wasting!
How long have you had fibro?
15 yrs for me!
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicoloreen
Saw the post but it's from 5 yrs ago. So why no post since then?

I have no idea, I just posted a few days ago.

Quote:
How long have you had fibro?
15 yrs for me!

About six years now. I also am trying to recover from a quadruple heart bypass operation a year ago. But exercise is next to impossible with my Fibro. If I do 1 minute on the exercise bike, I am in pain for 2-3 days. (Yes, that's all it takes!) Also along with the Fibro, I have CFS-Chronic Fatigue Syndrome along with the Fibro.

I can't always do a whole lot of Painting, but it does help take my mind off the pain.

The only medication that works so far is Gabapentin and Tylenol Arthritis.

Cheers for now,
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 04:44 PM
SW FL

Hails from United States

"But exercise is next to impossible with my Fibro. If I do 1 minute on the exercise bike, I am in pain for 2-3 days. (Yes, that's all it takes!)*

Oh... trust me Doug, I Know all too well what you're saying.
Believe me, I do!
I know this because my body reacts in the very same manner.
It's so unreal that... don't you feel that people don't take you seriously when you say these words. Or think they might think you're a looney tunes! lol
Truth of the matter is -at least this is my feeling- this is real fibro.
Not the fibro that allows you to go out on weekends to have a good time. maybe once in a blue moon
And certainly not the fibro that allows you to hold a job and work some forty hours a week. Not even 20! or 10!
I don't know about you Doug but I have come across a lot of people who say they have fibro and I'll be darned if it's anything like mine! It's not that I don't believe them, I do,
(sort of ; ) lol but I just don't get how they can function so much better than I can and so many things. Yet I cannot.
I just think damn ~ I sure do wish my fibro was like that!
Okay I confess! I'm jealous!

Okay, I've said more than enough...I'll say good day now.
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Stillwater/Bartlesville, Oklahoma, USA

Hails from United States

Hi, I joined this website a long time ago, and just recently came across an old scribbled note with my password on it, so i decided to log back on and see what's up.

When I came across this thread, I figured it must have been fate that I found that note. You see, I have a disease called Marfan's syndrome, I have titanium rods in my spine, and live in constant pain. When I stopped coming to this site it was because I had enrolled in university, and was too busy to read posts all day as I often did before.

I'm 25 years old, and am still in that same university, trying desperately to get a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, with a focus in oil painting. My problem being that I can not take very many hours each semester, and struggle to keep up with what I do take because of the pain. Sitting in front of an easel for the expected amount of time causes me agony, but I love to paint and draw, I can't imagine doing anything else.

I am really struggling at the moment, and I get the feeling that the professors resent me, because I don't look disabled, I must be faking it to try and get off easy or something. One told me not to come to class if I was in so much pain that I wasn't going to participate in discussions, and then counted me absent when I e-mailed her a few weeks later to tell her I wasn't coming to class because I was in a lot of pain. It's just so frustrating. I only have about 40 hours left to graduate, but I just want to drop out. I could really use a little encouragement from other disabled/chronic pain suffering artists.
Warning: Post may contain sarcasm, take seriously at your own risk.
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:30 PM
SW FL

Hails from United States

Welcomeback Stacey

No matter what professor says, try to let it go. Sounds like she doesn't have very good people skills, that's her problem right!
Take it one hour at a time,
one day at a time,
one week at a time-
whatever it takes to rack up those hours!
You're young, you have time, you can do it!
I know how difficult every movement can be when pain is bad.
I know what it's like when people look at you and don't see a sick, ill person. It's the same way with fibromyalgia.
What are we to do-
not worry about them is what I say.

I don't know your illness. I looked it up and I see it's genetic, a connective tissue disorder, and much more.
I have some connective tissue thing going on myofascial
pain syndrome
which I have along with fibro.
maybe you can describe your issue, how it effects you.
I'm much older than you and not in school so I really can relate to that but I can listen ; )
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Stillwater/Bartlesville, Oklahoma, USA

Hails from United States

Well, as you said Tropicoloreen, Marfan's is a genetic connective tissue disorder. Essentially one type of connective tissue doesn't form properly, and allows things to grow/stretch more than they should.
A related disorder that affects a different kind of connective tissue is what most contortionists have.
In Marfan's however, the long bones of the body over-grow, resulting in a tall, thin, gaunt figure (Abraham Lincoln is believed to have had the condition).
The spine cannot hold itself straight resulting in scoliosis (the reason I have rods in my back), and the arch of the aorta (being the blood vessel under the most pressure in the entire body) expands overtime, and can dissect or rupture resulting in almost instant death (making every day just that much more exciting!).
I also have a lot of joint pain, and my messed up spine pinches off nerves randomly resulting in a numb left leg or arm (luckily I'm right handed). There's also an increased risk of glaucoma, and host of other less common conditions.

So yeah, it's more fun than a barrel of rabid monkeys.

You say "No matter what professor says, try to let it go." but when more than three unexcused absences adds up to a full letter-grade drop, I kind of HAVE to deal with it somehow (if I want to maintain my GPA and graduate someday).

It also doesn't help when critiques consist of nothing but criticism and misguided comments. It might sound pathetic, but sometimes I just want someone to tell me my art is nice, and they like it, but I get that so rarely these days, I find myself sitting in front of a blank canvas or paper paralyzed with fear, because whatever I draw or paint isn't going to be good enough for these people. And it's all well and good if I say "Oh well, if it turns out bad, I just won't show anyone.", but then I'd get a zero for not doing the assignment. And a lot of the times I think the piece is fantastic, and I worked really hard on it, but I still don't want to go to critique, because I know they're going to point out every little flaw, and then I'm going to want to throw it in trash.

I'm sorry for blathering on like this, but the few friends I made when I got to Uni have graduated, and I don't really have anyone to talk to about this stuff.
Warning: Post may contain sarcasm, take seriously at your own risk.
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Stacey, that's so rough. The one thing you can do after the fact is challenge the grade on medical grounds. You shouldn't have to get down graded over things you can't control, that's something there should be an advocate somewhere in the school.

I flunked out of college in my first year on campus size, scoliosis and right side hemi-hypoplasia - right leg 3cm shorter than the left which makes all physical activity take five times the body energy. I was having some fibromyalgia symptoms even back then, but it got much worse in the 1990s. I did my best to make it to class but there came a point I just couldn't do it and was sick all the time, so I stayed in and distracted myself playing D&D with friends.

I've got fibromyalgia too, Tropicoloreen. Exercise is right out of it. Between total lack of energy and the right side hemi-hypoplasia making all activity take five times the energy it would for other people - including standing during a conversation - all my life exercise has done me a lot of harm and no good whatsoever. Ankle, knee and hip injuries on the right side have been so common that now they're vulnerable.

Just recently my doctor was going "You can swim though, can't you?"

"Yeah, I can swim but I can't afford the body energy to go out to a pool. Let alone pay for it. I'm having trouble paying transportation to these treatment appointments, and you think I'm going to be able to take pool fees and transportation money out of my food?" They don't think when they suggest things like that. They don't realize that yes, that means going out, and going out means resting up for a day to three days afterward depending on weather. I do that once a week anyway, if I did it twice I would have nothing left. Literally, no painting, no doing anything else, just laying around being sick resting up from the forced exercise. I don't see the point.

Especially when that's swimming-as-exercise, just going back and forth in laps. I liked playing in pools as a kid but it takes having some friends and goofing around with a beach ball and other toys, not just back and forth boring swimming like an adult or an athlete.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #105   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

Hi Stacey,
My husband is a professor here at Syracuse Univ., and they are instructed to make allowances for students with disabilities. What I would do is go to your advisor first, and tell them what happened, and what is happening. Bring copies of your emails, a letter from your Dr's. would help to if you can get it. The point is that you paid your tuition, you are working hard and doing your best. What you are not doing is blowing off the class. If this doesn't stop the bullying from the instructor(s), then take it to the head of the dept. You are entitled to an education. I would even go so far as to show the scars on my back to prove my point. This is wrong.