WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Buffalo

Hails from United States
Re: How do you mix paints?

This is a great thread. I think I do something like what Gigalot does. I start with 2, selecting an area with some commonality and lay out a basic small selection of paints, and then add additional paints as I see the need. I lay out my palette uniformly leaving space in between the main colors for the additive color and then mix down the palette below the main colors as I need to customize--doing 1 basically. Sometimes, if the area is large enough and I like the recipe I have come up with for that area, I then make a nice size little pile to work from, which is finally, 3. And I keep a notebook and write down the recipe for that area of the painting as I work in glazes and often have to come back to that color again.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 PM

Very interesting to see how everyone has replied to this. I do #1, but have been reading up on a number of artists who do #2 and am seeing the advantages of this. I know in some cases artists who pre-mix everything for the entire painting so when it comes time to paint, they can do just that and not have to be bothered with mixing (with exceptions of course to adjust and add dabs here and there).
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 PM
South Bucks

Hails from United Kingdom

Using acrylics, I keep a limited pallette - about 10 or 11 pigments (including 2 whites), and try to limit myself to four colours + whites for any one piece. The limited pallette means I can recover easily if a mixed batch runs out.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 PM

All of the above. Depends on which medium.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissofsilver
All of the above. Depends on which medium.
I agree with that. Acrylics I'm mixing in the pallet on the canvas on the brush with the knife. I normally paint 2-3 paintings directly on the other before I am happy. Rather wild compared to my watercolor work flow which is sketch plan plan plan paint once and hope for the best.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 06:09 AM

This depends on what color you want. Generally speaking, start with a color that's close to what you want. It's easier if you start with one that's a little lighter, rather than darker, than your target color. Let's say you want lavender. Start with light blue, and add red just a little at a time, stirring thoroughly as you go along. If you want darker lavender, don't add black add dark blue. If you want it lighter you can add either white or a really pale blue or pink.Or, take your existing paint to a paint store, look at their color charts, and ask the staff there to mix it up for you.Also, if you have a color you are trying to match such as fabric, most of the paint stores have the computer matching systems. This is where they place your swatch in front of a camera eye and it sends it to their color matching system in the computer. The computer in turn spits out a formula for your custom color. You can make adjustments right there if you need to.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Madrid

the thicker the pile of color you use, the more correct the mixing is.
On the contrary when you use small amounts of paint and add a new color to the mix it is more difficult to control the correct amount of each paint.
I use thick piles of color and use a knife to blend, the remaining paint not used I keep it separate on the palette and use it later to create harmony while mixing.

My tip: do NOT mix using small quantities of paint

My portfolio