WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#346   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: Student's Thoughts about Johannes' Class

I like part of the time spent on critiques. I personally have not submitted anything due to time contraints but I can learn so much from what not to do by looking and listening to Jo during the critiques. I am just a beginner and need to learn so much. Just my two cents.
lorianne
  #347   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Clearwater, FL

Hails from United States

For those who are new to Wet Canvas I wish to say I am no expert in using it. However, I have found areas on it wherein its users are openly submitting work and receiving critiques from one another. The critique does not end with "a good job"; helpful critique are there to be found if one looks. I just thought it would be nice to know that if you go up to the top of this page and look in "Content Areas" you will find critique categories. Jo has mentioned that he had chosen work for critique which best reflects problem areas he sees in submitted work, generally speaking. All of his teachings are built around his basic golden nuggests so no matter if he is giving a demo, teaching a class, or giving critique, you can rest assured you are receiving the full richness of his instruction. He has a teaching foundation that he sticks to--no matter the subject. You will 'see' this when you continue on with him or purchase classes prior to this that you may have missed. He lives in cold climate and rocks are very much part of his landscapes as can be waterfalls, mountains, evergreens, etc. I live in flat, hot/moist sandy climate and firstly found it difficult to translate 'his' to my landscape. But through perseverance, I found the teachings are sound and can be applied to whatever terrain. The teacher has arrived and you are in his audience.
  #348   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter 55
For those who are new to Wet Canvas I wish to say I am no expert in using it. However, I have found areas on it wherein its users are openly submitting work and receiving critiques from one another. The critique does not end with "a good job"; helpful critique are there to be found if one looks. I just thought it would be nice to know that if you go up to the top of this page and look in "Content Areas" you will find critique categories. Jo has mentioned that he had chosen work for critique which best reflects problem areas he sees in submitted work, generally speaking. All of his teachings are built around his basic golden nuggests so no matter if he is giving a demo, teaching a class, or giving critique, you can rest assured you are receiving the full richness of his instruction. He has a teaching foundation that he sticks to--no matter the subject. You will 'see' this when you continue on with him or purchase classes prior to this that you may have missed. He lives in cold climate and rocks are very much part of his landscapes as can be waterfalls, mountains, evergreens, etc. I live in flat, hot/moist sandy climate and firstly found it difficult to translate 'his' to my landscape. But through perseverance, I found the teachings are sound and can be applied to whatever terrain. The teacher has arrived and you are in his audience.
Painter 55, again I agree completely with what you say. I, too, would find it helpful to see some threads in this forum that are collations perhaps of mistakes made by artists and corrected by Johannes that best illustrate his golden nuggets. Even some pointers to specific parts of the videos in his courses that best illustrate the point would be quite helpful, especially to a new artist. Since I doubt that Johannes has the time to do this, maybe some of the more experienced artists on this site might consider helping by indexing some of the material from the threads and the video courses to illustrate the points that Johannes makes. Food for thought. I too agree his teachings are sound and translatable to all media and beyond landscapes to other representational painting subjects. Stu
  #349   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgourlayart
I am in complete agreement with Painter55 on this. What I have been seeing in the postings is reposts of homework by some artists to get specific comments on their work that was "missed" in the homework session. I think that some people may need more feedback than others from the instructor and I realize that there is no way that Johannes can get through all of the homework that is currently being submitted. What I was asking was whether he was intending in future courses to review online those homework submissions that best illustrate incorporation or lack of incorporation of his "golden nuggets". He may already be doing that and this may be why some posters are seeing him "skip" or "miss" their homework. I also feel that there is a lot to learn in reviewing these threads and looking at the postings by other artists and I agree that "I like your work" while a flattering comment by another artist provides little in the way of constructive criticism. So my question still is open to Johannes as he expands his courses to more artists. I, too, have referred at least a half dozen artists to his courses and they all seem to be pleased. Stu
The idea of homework submissions is to extract from them the UNIVERSAL common weakness and deal with them at a universal impersonal level. I pick what I think will be the most valuable observations where everyone can benefit.
  #350   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Instructor
The idea of homework submissions is to extract from them the UNIVERSAL common weakness and deal with them at a universal impersonal level. I pick what I think will be the most valuable observations where everyone can benefit.
Thanks, Johannes. Your critiques during the homework reviews, especially when you illustrate directly with the photoeditor are, in my opinion, the most valuable part of each course, and the effort you put into this is very apparent. Stu
  #351   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Pinellas Park, Florida

Hails from United States

I am so envious to those taking personal instruction from Johannes this week. Only twelve more days and we will have our instructor and friend back with the masses. :-) In the meantime, I have several wip's and find it helpful to review the videos and the paintings Johannes shared with us. I look forward to seeing more paintings in the critique thread (maybe one of mine soon lol) and March 24. As one of Jo's in-house student's said, maybe we should all be cutting potatoes!

Hugs, Micki
in hot Florida
  #352   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Pinellas Park, Florida

Hails from United States

Thank you for sharing your "International Group of Seven" through Johannes H Vloothuis Art on FB. The paintings produced that you posted are evidence of your excellent teaching ability. Maybe those that attended will start a Thread here and share their personal experiences.

Now that you have an "Empty Nest", I know you are preparing for next Saturday and not resting. However, I do hope you will spend a little time with Patty (LOL) and maybe some personal painting.

Along with all, I look forward to next Saturday. Have a wonderful week.

Micki
  #353   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 04:45 PM

Dear Johannes,

Thank you for being so giving of your time and knowledge. The effort you put into these classes behind the scenes really shows in the class. I have been taking your classes since the beginning and you really CARE about this. Your caring shines through in your presentations. Thank you SO MUCH for doing all this work. Anything you earn from this is so well deserved.

By the way, I purchased your images video, and the scenery and photo quality is absolute outstanding! It was so worth the money.

If you ever give a class in Arizona, I would love to come.

Thanks for everything!

Marsha
  #354   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 AM

OK.... I just have to say a few things here. First of all, I had the immense pleasure of being a part of the recent workshop that Johannes gave last week. I had never been to a workshop before and apparently I was very lucky (according to the other painters in the group who have been to many such workshops) in that my first workshop was the best. I have nothing to compare things to, but I certainly feel like I couldn't have gotten any more out of it. Johannes was with us 110%. He guided us as we were painting (2 paintings per day). He didn't just demo for us to see. As we all know in his webinars he is very generous with his knowledge and has no ego behind giving his "golden nuggets" to us. If you get the chance to be there with him in a workshop you will find that he is even more giving. Poor guy was on his feet all day long going from student to student.

An added bonus was Kenneth who is also incredibly knowledgeable and talented. He too helped us out and was available to help move us along the path. Thank you Ken for all your insight which is still swimming around in my head...

So if anyone out there is considering attending a workshop my suggestion is to stop considering and just book it. Yes, I am very excited about what I learned and experienced... it was a great group of painters and Johannes was a most excellent teacher....

Also, I just now bought the reference photos and just looking through a few of them I realized that this was probably one of the best buys I have made in my short painting life. It's about composition.... I am a growing painter, not yet "there", and I find most of my "failures" (if there ever are failures in expressing yourself) aren't about bad painting but bad compositions and reference photos. So the photos I saw in the download immediately freed me up from figuring out a decent composition so I can concentrate on working the "golden nuggets" instead. I can literally pick any photo and start painting. I'm certain too that painting good compositions from excellent reference photos will help instill within me an innate sense of what works and what doesn't when using my own references.... or the "dreaded" plein air experience (actually I really love painting outside, but I have much to learn about how to make it work).

I am a social hermit by character, but sometimes I just have to speak out...

Have a beautiful painting day all!
  #355   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast
Sjbo, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida Evenson

And you do it so well!
  #356   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you so much for the certificate download! I was so excited to get it. I love your classes and can't wait for next week!
  #357   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida Evenson
OK.... I just have to say a few things here. First of all, I had the immense pleasure of being a part of the recent workshop that Johannes gave last week. I had never been to a workshop before and apparently I was very lucky (according to the other painters in the group who have been to many such workshops) in that my first workshop was the best. I have nothing to compare things to, but I certainly feel like I couldn't have gotten any more out of it. Johannes was with us 110%. He guided us as we were painting (2 paintings per day). He didn't just demo for us to see. As we all know in his webinars he is very generous with his knowledge and has no ego behind giving his "golden nuggets" to us. If you get the chance to be there with him in a workshop you will find that he is even more giving. Poor guy was on his feet all day long going from student to student.

An added bonus was Kenneth who is also incredibly knowledgeable and talented. He too helped us out and was available to help move us along the path. Thank you Ken for all your insight which is still swimming around in my head...

So if anyone out there is considering attending a workshop my suggestion is to stop considering and just book it. Yes, I am very excited about what I learned and experienced... it was a great group of painters and Johannes was a most excellent teacher....

Also, I just now bought the reference photos and just looking through a few of them I realized that this was probably one of the best buys I have made in my short painting life. It's about composition.... I am a growing painter, not yet "there", and I find most of my "failures" (if there ever are failures in expressing yourself) aren't about bad painting but bad compositions and reference photos. So the photos I saw in the download immediately freed me up from figuring out a decent composition so I can concentrate on working the "golden nuggets" instead. I can literally pick any photo and start painting. I'm certain too that painting good compositions from excellent reference photos will help instill within me an innate sense of what works and what doesn't when using my own references.... or the "dreaded" plein air experience (actually I really love painting outside, but I have much to learn about how to make it work).

The pleasure was mine Vida. Your passion and joy pumped me up. I think you have totally fallen in love with painting and you will have many years of joy to experience. What this world needs is less materialism and passion for things that make us happy. Most invest too much in the bank and not enough in themselves. I am glad you trust me with your progress and I am confident you will reach the level you are seeking. We'll make sure that dream happens.
  #358   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Hemet, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumquat
Dear Johannes,

If you ever give a class in Arizona, I would love to come.

Thanks for everything!

Marsha

YES! I'd LOVE to take a workshop with Johannes, but they are too far north for me. I live in So Cal and could easily attend one in Arizona! My painting friends in California would attend too.
  #359   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Oregon

Hails from United States

Thank you Johannes for the Painting Skies Certificate. I am so glad I found your site and am amazed by the caliber of instruction you make available. You have given me the boost to get back to painting and I so appreciate your dedication to helping us all "improve our paintings." I'd love to take a workshop someday if you are ever close enough. Thank you SO much!
  #360   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM
West Bolton, Quebec

Hails from Canada

I cannot believe you travelled from Greece to here, Canada, Vida ! Are you a globe-trotter ? Read that you had a pleasant journey.

You comfort me in my decision to register - in fact, it's a gift from my husband - for the workshop Johannes is about to give in May, the one organized in Warkworth (north of Port Hope), Ontario. It'll be a 6 hour drive from where I live. Less than what you experienced.

I'm more than excited thinking of all what I'm about to learn. After reading what you wrote, five weeks before the workshop will be a very long waiting time ...

http://hmessier.com