WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:39 AM

Traditional (metal nib and bottle) ink drawing

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Traditional (metal nib and bottle) ink drawing
Year Created:
Medium: Pen/Ink
Surface: Paper
Dimension: A4 paper
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the 2nd of 3 in a series of drawings of churches as part of my NCFE L2 project work (UK evening class doesn't sound as posh!). The reference image is itself a drawing on which this is based. For the 1st image I had feedback (elsewhere) on shading for the light source being clearer. I have tried to do that in No 2, but can't overdo it as it is after all a series and I would like to have some uniformity across the 3. No 3 is still a WIP.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any and all feedback is welcome but especially:
- Tips for drawing from actual photos from which you have to deduce the shading for yourself. I have recently used 3 photos for some ATC's I just finished using Uni-Pin pens rather than nib and ink. As you are trying to cram so much in a such small space a little inkwork can look more impressive than it really is. Try the same on a piece of A4 and the penwork really has to be the business!!
- What pens do others like to use? I have a variety of nibs and pens but tend to stick to a few and favour my very fine ones.
- Any recommended books or websites for brushing up on technique?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Langley, BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Traditional (metal nib and bottle) ink drawing

Very nice! My only thought would be to work on deepening some shadows to create more contrast. But technically it looks pretty great to me. I love the illustrative look of ink drawings.

As far as good books to help with your technique, Claudia Nice has some of the best books on pen & ink, with very clear instructions for exercises in creating textures.

http://www.mpda.net/fran
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

I think you will have greater difficulties with controlling tones whilst you attempt to draw every brick and stone, including in some places the texture.
The near wall is getting closer to the treatment I would like to see --- but even there the top line of most of the stones could be omitted and the drawing would begin to show sunlight.
Geoff
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 AM

Thanks for your feedback - and yes quite agree, wanting to do more, but conscious this is a series of 3 and will be hung together and I'm aiming for some consistency even if that is consistently NOT creating more contrast in this or number 3 which is in progress. I've been doing that in some ATC's I just did. I have 2 of Claudia's books and yes they are very informative.

DGFord - agree sometimes less is more and I approached the ATC's like that too.

Overall I probably should have waited and posted a piece that is uniquely it's own and is bringing together all I've learned and all feedback. Thank you both - very useful