WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 AM

Re: Favorite Tracing Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aires
P.S. At Dick Blick try looking for them under "Cachet Deluxe Black Portfolios." There are three different kinds under that listing. Most hold at least 100 pages of drawings or prints, some more. Hope that helps....my plans include at least one of these in a large size so I can organize a growing stack of drawings.

Thanks very much for this recommendation.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqueenbee
To the original poster: Have you tried using harder lead? It might crisp up your lines.... When I have my final drawing set I trace over my lines with Pigma Micron Markers 005 then I have no issue with smudging or inaccuracies.
Deb

I heartily agree with your recommendation. One additional technique I would like to pass on: use an EMPTY fine ballpoint pen with graphite paper to trace/transfer your drawing to the final art paper. This way your inked design (whether drawn with pencil or pigment marker) will be disturbed as little as possible. It might be necessary to put a tiny bit of lubricant (like camellia oil or 3-IN-ONE Oil on the tip to keep the ballpoint rolling.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States

You can also go over just the lines on the backside of your drawing with vine charcoal or soft pastel. I prefer the soft pastel because I can use any color I want plus it is easy to wipe off with a damp cloth. In either case, be sure to gently shake off any free dust so it doesn't leave traces on your substrate. I prefer this over graphite paper because of smudges that easily transfer to the substrate during transfer. W.H. Martin, one of our resident fine detail artists who builds up paintings with layers of glazes, uses this method for all his work, using vine charcoal just on the drawn lines on the back of his drawing. I prefer soft pastel but that is just personal choice.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 11:59 AM

Probably not an answer you seek... but I love 'pouncing.' This is a method of transfering image to canvas or whatever surface you need it on by poking holes in the original image and then using a cloth bag (usually a work shop rag tied up, etc... something pourous) and having charcoal or pastel in the bag... then you bounce/pounce the bag against the original as it sits on top of the canvas, wall or whatever you are working on painting and where the holes are in the original is where the pattern will transfer over. Really great for doing stuff like moving photos that you printed out on printer on to a canvas, etc.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Edwardsburg, MI

Hails from United States

You can also use a "pounce wheel" which is made by Griffold and comes in different sizes.

Pounce Wheel