WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Who is your preferred shipper?
UPS 12 12.90%
FedEx 15 16.13%
USPS 59 63.44%
other 7 7.53%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: Who's your preferred shipper: UPS, FedEx, or USPS?

Quote:
I now have everything shipped requiring a signature and they will send a truck and an employee at regular hours.

The new computer required a signature -- I have to wonder if the driver 'signed' for it, himself.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2009, 05:22 PM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

With UPS you can request signature by addressee only (an add-on service), that's what I do with my paintings. At least then if someone else signs for it, forging the signature, it's proveable fraud.

Tina.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Odessa

Hails from Ukraine

Dhl

http://www.vorokhta.net
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2009, 01:26 PM
A Local Legend
CA

Hails from United States

BEWARE - When shipping Internationally, if the recipient declines to pay Import Duties, FedEx will give them the package and bills YOU for the Duties!!!!!! I learned this lesson the hard way, when I got a bill for Duties from FedEx on an International order I had shipped with them.

I use both USPS and UPS, on anything with a value over 100 I always use UPS if it is being shipped within the US. When I ship to the UK, I always use USPS Priority or Express.

"It feels like snow" he said, "and it was all there, all the sadness and all silveryness in a single sentence." ~ George Frazier
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 PM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States

Thanks for the info about Fedex, which I have not used for international shipping, and now, will never use.

when i ship internationally i also ship via USPS, too.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi,

I'm portuguese, but when I send for things from US, it's USPS hands down.
It has proven reliable and affordable.

Best regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog
Friendship Is Like Peeing In Your Pants…Everyone Can See It, But Only You Can Feel It.
I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 PM
North Alabama

Hails from United States

I always use USPS because our carrier is great! I leave a note in the box for her saying I have a package for her and she comes to the studio for pick-up. So far I have never had a problem with a package.

I didn't have a problem receiving a recent delivery from Fed-ex, but even though I signed for my computer when it was delivered Fed-ex put in the tracking system that it was left at my front door.

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2009, 02:40 AM
Immortalized
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

I have not shipped any art yet, but in my line of work, I ship loan documents every day by Fed Ex or UPS, depending on who the client has an account with. When I have problems with Fed Ex, they can find it right away. I really can't recall having any problems with Fed Ex. But I know a few times my packages with UPS get lost. This is BAD because they are date-sensitive loan documents and they have to be there NOW! I have had to go down to UPS a couple of times, to the HUB and help rummage through boxes to find my package because it "accidentally" did not get put on the conveyor belt. Sometimes I can't find the package in the tracking system and my boss is yelling at me because the package is LOST, and UPS says,"Well, we update the tracking in 24 hours". Fed Ex has stuff in the system right away and you KNOW where your package is.

One time though, I thought I dropped a package in a UPS drop box and I could not find it in the system. I was petrified. Did I lose it? Did I drop it? What happened? I even waited by the UPS drop box for the man to show and personally looked inside the drop box. It was not there. I knew I was a dead duck. The signed loan documents had vanished. I was sick to my stomach. I called the people to tell them the awful truth and they said, "We have them right here and they arrived on time!" I had dropped the docs with NO air bill and the UPS guy opened them up and figured out where to send them. Whew!

http://www.carolynspaintblog.blogspot.com/
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Grand Rapids, MI

Hails from United States

I use USPS 99.9999999% of the time for both US and International shipping. The only time I use UPS or FedEX is if the buyer requests it. UPS and FedEx are just too expensive. I have shipped over 1000 paintings in the last 3 years and have not had a single problem with USPS.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2009, 01:52 AM

Used USPS for years shipping small 8 x 10 drawings all over the country. No problem. The only time I thought there was a problem someone at the client's home received the drawing and didn't tell the client. Just about gave me heart failure, but all was well.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Dallas

Hails from United States

I use USPS only unless requested otherwise.

The other services are way to expensive for the same basic thing.
UPS takes waaay too long and I can generally get a package there insured for 1/3 the price with USPS.

That said, their tracking really does need an update.

I have shipped about 100 items with USPS domestic and international and have lost one package, to the UK mail system, not on the US side.

I had one package Int. Priority make it to Italy from Dallas in like 5 days, which I was very pleased with. That was a surprise.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Agreed, Lee.

A package that takes six days by UPS, might take only two or three via USPS.

I've had one package go missing (last month) in fourteen years. The United States Postal Service gets my vote.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 PM

Hails from United States

dhl
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States

I own a business which sells personalized mini bottles which are used for wedding favors. I find FedEx to be cheaper. My product is made with glass bottles, and I can't recall the last time I ever had anything break. How you package something matters.

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2014, 09:10 PM
rural Illinois

Hails from United States

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd respond. For years I raised a rare breed of domestic geese & every year I'd build up a list of people who wanted me to ship them fertile eggs in the spring and I always shipped by USPS priority mail, this included tracking and insurance. The customers were always satisfied & had very good hatch rates, with one exception... This fellow lived in Georgia and informed me he had repeatedly had problems with his local post office leaving fragile boxes out in the rain, damaging boxes & not notifying him of packages for pickup. He asked me to be extra careful with packaging, I even double boxed it with packing material between the two boxes. Good thing, too - they punctured the package!

BUT, that was obviously a specific post office with serious problems. Other than that I've been very pleased with them. If I trust them with the future of an endangered breed, I surely trust them with my paintings.

I will also occasionally use UPS, but I will not use FedEx. FedEx has been used to ship purchases to me, and I would get a tracking number only to discover that FedEx passes packages off to the USPS... but they don't pass on the tracking info. So from the time they hand it off you have no way to track the package. Caused me a LOT of problems last Christmas when a special order from Santa went untraceable & didn't arrive until well after the new year. If I pay a company to ship with tracking, I expect them to let me track it from start to finish.