WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2012, 12:30 AM
california

Hails from United States
Re: How to make a roller/brayer

So far I found an innertube that looks wide enough but it is for my bmx and might be for a wheel that is too small. It has a very strong curve. I'm not sure how that will be stretched over the rolling pin. I need to find my rolling pin still.

A friend I was talking to about this said that he thinks they make shrink tubing wide enough to work. Shrink tubing seems to slick and hard but hat might be worth a try.

I am such a newbie with printmaking at all it is sort of silly for me to be doing this but I like to make things and it is sort of fun to play around with ideas.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm
I know this is an old thread. I was searching google for directions to make a brayer and this is the best I have found. I have been pondering this fora few days and I have an idea that I will attempt soon. I think it will fail but it is worth trying. I want to try pulling a bicycle inner tube over a marble rolling pin. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Many years ago I tried to pull a bicycle inner tube onto some wood when I was making stilts and that did not work but maybe this time i can come up with a solution. I think inner tubes usually have a seam that would also be problematic but maybe I can find seamless ones? I have plenty regular ones laying around and a marble rolling pin so I will make an attempt as soon as i find everything.

The problem with this approach is that the bicycle innertubes have all sorts of what appear to be seam lines ... they just are not smooth enough. These lines will show up when you ink your plate. I have tried this and it just did not work. BUT by all means give it a try yourself. Use alcohol to lubricate the innertube when you try to force it over the rolling pin.

You can also make brayers that are long, but alas not that large in diameter, from discarded fusing rollers from copy machines. Yes, I have a pdf file about it. Drop me an email off list and I will send it to you.

One of these days I WILL update my website!

Cheers ...... Charles

CharlesGMorgan@yahoo.com
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2012, 09:27 PM
california

Hails from United States

thank you for the input Charles. i guess i was hoping it would be possible to find seamless ones but i had not looked into that yet. I will be emailing you about that pdf!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Port Aransas, TX

Mcmaster Carr sells different types of rubber tubing in various diameters. http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber/=g9lfgr Not super cheap but if used with PVC pipe or whatever you can get your hands on seems like it may be a good option for DIY rollers.

As far as innertubes go just try it. A little texture may turn out to not be such a bad thing.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 03:43 AM
california

Hails from United States

thank you vandercook
after reading the pdf from Charles it seems easier to just get copy machine rollers than to try and cover a rolling pin with anything. i will save my old inner tubes to re-cane my rocking chair and to use as rubber bands and all the various things old bicycle inner tubes are good for. tank you for the interesting web page though.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Haute Vienne France

My approach is using vehicle radiator hose over a rolling pin.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 PM
USA

Hails from United States

Find that rolling pin (make sure it's real smooth), then dip it in this stuff:
http: // www . plastidip . com / home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

I have not tried this, but I thought this would be better than stretching tubing around it and dealing with seams and possible slippage. Not sure if the dip has different durometers to choose from but if it doesn't, I'm sure there's more expensive stuff that will do the same thing (I have used plastic/rubber chemicals for molds but can't remember the name).