WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Art group/forum

I'd love to hear from anyone who belongs to an artists' group or forum - not an online forum, but a real time one - especially one with the purpose of enjoying each other's company, learning from one another, bouncing ideas off each other, relaxing, networking and having fun.

If you do belong to such a group - I'd love to know how often you meet, what activities do you do, any problems you've experienced (relational or otherwise) and just anything else you think is relevant to share.

I'm trying to get an artists forum together here - on a once a month basis - 3 hours on a weekday evening, bring and share supper, and I'm keen to get ideas from others who may belong to a similar thing.

Painting is silent poetry & poetry is painting with the gift of speech
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2012, 08:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Art group/forum

i've been a part of an arts society for years ... started with meetings/greetings in various basements, livingrooms, back yards and corners of libraries. it's grown and evolved over the years and seems to be able to continue to survive almost anything.
it took close to 50 years to 'get' full time gallery space for the group, before that we hauled/displayed work where we could, when we could.
best started with a few friends who like to paint ... do it together and see where it goes ... display where you can.
or work with the library? to advertise for visual/literary arts interest and see what happens?

what's the population in your area? are there art groups already established?

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Immortalized
Ohio

Hails from United Kingdom

I was part of a formal critique group in Maryland for years before we moved and it was fantastic. We had a facilitator who oversaw the group and knew how to guide a critique, ask the right questions etc.
I joined another critique group but there were so many in the group with sensitive egos it was impossible to get or give a solid and honest critique.
My current group is a mixed media textile group which is more show and tell, but open to critique and opportunities to get help, advice, or enjoy learning by people who have a passion about what they do and no ***** footing and sensitive egos.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2012, 12:33 PM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland

I am a member of a local Arts forum. We meet socially once a month, Poets, writers, dancers, musicians, film makers, etc. as well as visual artists. We tend to try and organise group Arts events once or twice a year for the general public (free, with voluntary work by the forum) but we use it mainly as a vehicle to meet others involved in the arts and it enables us to create collaborative projects with others we know to a fair degree.
One danger is that the organisation tends to get left to one or two. Ideally you will need an office assistant one or two hours a month, if you have a local council arts organisation they may support this with the help of an intern or assistant from the arts department. We usually meet in a local Public funded Gallery with meeting rooms and Internal studios, they and the local council/arts council also give us assistance with insurance costs etc.

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Immortalized
Ohio

Hails from United Kingdom

wow, a legitimate word has been edited out pus*yfooting is not a rude word lol! Must have some kind of censor filter on for words that can be misconstrued.

anyway, I think meeting in a gallery or studio setting is a good idea. My friend and I are hoping to have jafagirl Tuesdays at the local arts council gallery once it's opened. The trade off for the arts council is we are attracting visitors and the gallery is open to the public.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

I was for a time part of such a group for writers. We met at a coffee shop, wrote, and then shared our work, with several people sharing each time.
Because of that format and meeting in a public place, the organization was simple. An email went out weekly with request for RSVP, just so we would know who was coming. We met weekly.
The biggest challenge was that some people wanted feedback and discussed it constructively, while others shared and then resented feedback. It takes a while to know who wants real comment.
Another issue that may be more challenging in case of writing than art, perhaps, is that writing is often very overtly personal. What this means is that it could sometimes happen that someone had conveyed more than was comfortable for the group to respond to. This might be intimate information. Or it could be a self-description that to an outside party seemed very "out there," but the group wasn't close enough for anyone to be comfortable giving such feedback.
As I said, these may be challenges more applicable to writers than to visual artists.