WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM

Goshoppen Creek Structured Critque

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Goshoppen Creek Structured Critque
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm looking for an honest opinion. Overall.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please comment on all aspects of this painting.

Thanks
Harry
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 PM
NoVA

Hails from United States
Re: Goshoppen Creek Structured Critque

I saw that no one has given you any comments as yet.

Overall a successful effort. The texture of the trees in particular is well rendered. You've created a lovely soft atmosphere.

What stands out most to me is the water. It looks less real than the trees. It seems too turquoise for the lighting that appears in the painting. Water reflects the colors around it so it should mirror the sky colors and the trees surrounding the stream. Also the values of the water should lighten and neutralize as you go back in the painting. This helps in making the water recede. The principle is called atmospheric perspective.

I also see bits of a very cool blue (ultramarine perhaps?) along with the warmer turquoise. Your color would seem more unified if you used one or the other for both the sky and the water.

The other thing that stands out for me is on the left of the painting along the right edge of your tallest tree. In the sky right along the tops of the trees there is a grayish area. Perhaps you were trying to indicate a distant tree but the color is distracting. If you made that area the same color as the sky it would create an interesting shape for the tree line.

You might take a look at the work of Margaret Kessler a landscape artist whose work has a similar feel to yours. She written a couple of books that have been very helpful to me.

This is my first critique online so I hope I was able to explain my thought process in a way you would find helpful. I know I always need a pair of fresh eyes on my work.

Sincerely,
Deb
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 AM

Deb

Thank you so much for your comments. This is exactly what I was hoping for. An honest evaluation.

Thanks again

Harry
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Chicago, IL

Hails from United States

Agree with everything Deb said, to which I'd just add one thing more: that patch of Alizarin-y red in the lower right, at least from what I can see in this photo, doesn't work. The very cool red, in such a large patch and so far forward in the composition, disrupts the color harmony of the painting as a whole. I'd either warm it up or break it up (add some other color notes within it) or distribute some of the purple-red as an accent elsewhere in the painting to make that big patch less sore-thumby.

Of course, if this is just an artifact of the photo color balance then please disregard. Otherwise, yes, you've got a nice atmosphere, the sky is nicely handled and I like way the light works in the trees on the left.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

converted your work to grayscale to make a point...

there isn't a lot of range in your values...

and the circled tree in the distance isn't really all that much different in values from the nearby trees as indicated.

John F. Carlson (1929- Landscape painting) teacher and painter taught that darks are their darkest nearer to the viewer's eye...and lighten going back into space. Colors are their purest, and warm colors their warmest nearer the eye, beginning to lose intensity going back and cooling in color temperature.

Edgar Payne taught us that the eye can detect roughly 400 values, that we are lucky to paint and represent 40 values at best. He also taught that nature's light presents color 200 to 300 times more intense than what earth pigments can possibly imitate.

Arguably, that means we are all abstract painters...attempting at whatever level to paint realistically...but starting off with serious deficits. Thus...with our limitations, it is important at times to overstate and push certain things to make our work "feel" right.

Picasso said, "art is a lie that tells the truth"...and in this sense I believe he is right. We push even what perhaps we don't see...so that in the work all can see.

Another problem is that often artists work primarily from photographs and not from life. The camera favors light, and pushes darks to lifeless colorless areas...and we get a skewed idea.

the circled (reddish) areas in the foreground are your opportunity to push the darks darker...and the area purer in color to push the illusion of depth.

hope this gives you some ideas...

I was a moderator at Wetcanvas for about 12 years, last of the original staffers, but retired of it this past year to focus more on my painting, writing, teaching...travels...so I am not around nearly so much. I would like to help more...for everyone...but time and managing time is in and of itself an art...

keep at it...don't hold work too sacred to play, push, experiment...for there is where we grow quickest.
peace
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM

Larry,

Thank you so much for taking time from your busy schedule to help.
Your post does give me some ideas.

Thanks again

Harry
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

glad it may help...and I could be of assistance...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi

Saw this when you first posted, liked the overall tone and meant to comment but I was in the last few days of painting-framing-and-calling-myself-names for having agreed to do 4 month solo show.......

Here are things I see that no one has mentioned

(1) Your trees on the left are solid unifrom blocks of color. They need some purples and dark blues to break up the mass and give the illusion of branches and masses of leaves on a tree

(2) On a clear day, your water reflects the sky. ANd the sky is not hot turquoise. Walk it down about 6 shades. Water in a brook that shallow is going to light in tone - pale blues, pale greens even some grey tones as it moves over the rocks.

(3) Reflections. You show the tree trunk on the left reflecting in the water. If it reflects so should the color of the leaves. Don't try to put yellow relfections in on a blue until the blue dries - or you get greens. Let the water color dry then glaze it with the yellow you used in the leaves (and it will come out darker when it goes on over the blue tones of the water if the glaze is applied thinly.)

(4) Light source. It looks as if the light is coming from the right. That means the shorebank on the right would be shadowed. Red does not a shadow make. Think pale burnt sienna, purples etc.

Last edited by KAScott : 02-27-2012 at 09:31 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM

KAS

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Harry