WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing > Framing Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 AM

Hails from Brazil
Which surface to use to create large format collage?

Hi All,

I am a beginning artist with experience in computer design software. I have created few digital images using computer software which soon will be printed on paper or canvas using a large inkjet printer. After all the images are printed I intend to create a collage using all different images merging into a single artwork. The final collage/artwork will be a large scale image approximately 3.94 feet by 4.92 (1 meter 20 centimeter by 1 meter and 50 centimeter).
Can anyone help me to decide:

1) Which kind of surface should I use to assemble the pieces of my large collage? Should I assemble the pieces of the collage on an artboard or should I consider another type of surface?
2) Should I use glue to fix the pieces of my collage (paper or canvas) to the yet to be chosen surface? If so, which kind of glue should I consider ?
Thank you very much for any valid suggestion!
Andy
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Roanoke VA

Hails from United States
Re: Which surface to use to create large format collage?

Hi, Andy, and welcome to WetCanvas. I assume you want this collage to be a permanent work. (You can always reprint the images for future use.) I hasten to confess I have only dabbled in collage and so you may want to cross-post this on the mixed-media forum.

As to glues--you want something that glues, seals, and finishes the assemblage, and I recommend acrylic gel medium. It's good for the rough surface of canvas as well as paper. Any paper you use will of course will be acid-free to prevent it yellowing.

As to support, you have three main concerns: it should be stable enough to support the art, not swell or cup when it absorbs water from the medium, and not leak acids or formaldehyde into the art adhered to it. There are some specialty products like gatorboard that are archival but pricey. I have used baltic or finnish plywood (google/shop for suppliers near you for a standard 4x8 sheet). (These products have a much smoother surface than regular plywood.) I double-coat both sides and all edges of the panel with acrylic medium. By coating all surfaces at the same time you minimize cupping and bowing. The acrylic medim also prevents leeching of any acid or aldehydes from the support into the work--hence the double coat.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and please post a photo of your finished work on this thread so we all can see it!

Comments and critiques are invited

Last edited by wsrea : 02-25-2012 at 12:29 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 AM

Hails from Brazil

Thanks very much Bill! I appreciate very much your valid tips on glue and support boards. I will look up these materials in art stores near by. I still need to finalize, print and mount my artwork, once it is done I will upload the work on this thread. By the way, I went to your website and really like the composition, brush strokes and colors of "Under the tree". Great work!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Roanoke VA

Hails from United States

Thanks, Andy. I appreciate your kind words.

Comments and critiques are invited