WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States
Re: Casein: History and Resources

Personally, I think "glossy" and casein are not meant to go together. I never varnish my casein paintings. The varnish that I've seen sold for casein is basically shellac based, if I'm not mistaken. I sometimes use shellac as an isolation layer while painting, but it's definetly not glossy; although, it can be. There's acrylic medium, but it tends to be cloudy to my experience. Possibly MSA varnishes might work, but I'd test it out first.

How are you applying the varnish - spray or brush?
My Blog
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 11:30 PM

This is the first thread I've read and it made me really glad I joined the forum. The information and experiences you have shared are greatly appreciated. I saw an exhibition last month here where the artist used casein and I was keen to understand how those beautiful effects were achieved. Thank you
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

Glad you're finding the information here useful.

To update my last comment regarding varnish, I have tested spirit varnishes, such as Golden's MSA, and have found them to be satisfactory. The process of varnishing a casein painting requires the paint surface to have completely cured (hardened) first. That takes at least 3 to 4 months. The painting can then be coated with an acrylic isolation medium, such as Liquitex Gloss Medium & Varnish or Golden's Soft Gel. Once that has dried I can safely varnish the painting as if it were acrylic, glossy or matte. This varnish could be safely removed later on if necessary due to the isolation layer protection.
My Blog
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Buffalo NY

Hails from United States

Shiva casein's odor strikes me as being very perfumy, perhaps to mask ammonia. It is not unpleasant. D.B.Clemons comments are accurate.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:20 PM

I have aquestion about Casein. I usually work in Acrylics but am frustrated with the transparency of the paint. I am experimenting with combining acrylic and casien 50/50 in each color, mixed together on the pallette. This seems to have two advantages- (1) the acrylic is beefed up, becoming more opaque and (2) the casein is plasticized so it drys quickly AND is waterproof immediatly. I paint on gessoed masonite.
My question - is this chemically sound to do? I will appreciate any input that anyone can offer.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

Acrylic paints or mediums mix just fine with casein. The combination is often recommended for the reasons you describe, adding the benefits of both mediums. One particular shortcoming of casein is that you shouldn't apply a layer too thickly. However, if you've mixed in 50% acrylic polymer, that's not a problem.

Personally, I see the fast and permanent drying characteristic of acrylics as more of a problem than a benefit. Well, "problem" probably isn't the right word. It's just something you're forced to handle.

One thing I'd recommend is to be sure your mixture is well combined before you use it. Don't just dip your brush in both and start painting. Also, pay attention to what is in your mixture. If you dilute it with water in some passages, I'd suggest adding some acrylic medium also to improve adhesion. In fact, you might be able to get the effect you're after without using acrylic paint and just add medium to the casein.
My Blog
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2013, 06:49 PM

hey David thank you for the info if you don't mind me asking about casein paint how can I isolate it**so i can work with oils over painting on top thank you so much
Paul
www.paul-torres.com