WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States
Re: WIP KT22 Fiber/Felting

Well, my friends, I FINALLY got the right size stretcher bars, got the whole thing restapled. And then an artist friend -- pro photographer, owes a gallery, went to art school -- which means I listen to him.... gave me a true critique. WONDERFUL. Debby, your comments about the way the photos I put in did not seem to blend, etc. -- well, even though I tried to shift, blend, this was the crux of Keoki's comments. Very concrete, specific ideas. So I will take it OFF the wall and go back to work!~

Jen
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 AM
South Australia

Hails from Australia

I can't comment on techniques etc., as I haven't been doing needle felting for long, and therefore I don't know if this is 'dry or wet felting' or a mixture of both but I do know what I like to look at and what I've seen so far is right up my alley. I love the colours and the different textures the liveliness of the pictures and the other enhancements. So a big thumbs up from me. Hugs Joyce
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 AM
A Local Legend
Petaluma, California

Hails from United States

I hadn't seen this before. It's a very impressive piece of work.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast
Rural Manitoba

Hails from Canada

Hi Jen... critique from someone qualified is of great value. And it's tough to blend photos into a fibre piece like this. The difference in surface texture, sharp versus muted lines... challenging!

The piece I'm working on is cotton with strong horizontal lines and curving vertical lines, with soft coloured prints on the fabrics, and my images aren't photos, so it won't be near as challenging to make them fit into the overall design.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how your mountain progresses!
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
A Local Legend
Charleston South Carolina

Hails from United States

Jen, I love the direction your work is going in!!!

My Blog!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 AM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Thanks to you each for the encouragement. I have been side-tracked by Life and another piece at the moment, and have not gotten back to this one....YET. The other thing I need to alter is the stretching, as it is warping -- guess I need a cross piece or backing. More to come!
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 09:03 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

I have finally gotten back to this, what I now call The Family Portrait.

These are quick photos with my little camera. I hope to get better quality photos eventually....

The feedback I got some time ago got my mind slowly working on how to incorporate the figures in a way more organic, more in keeping with the rest of the work. Though my photo is literally fuzzy on the details, I hope you can see the approach: Enlarged and cut out the figures.

In fact, I also did color adjustments to each, moving away from realism toward posterized. To me this is unifying with the approach taken to the mountain. I looked at the overall color balance, adding in a darky chalky blue green, including felted wool "shadows" or "ground" for each figure, to place it within the landscape.

My first major change, once I had pulled the figures off, was to machine felt the entire piece. Wow, what a difference. What had been fairly fragile became much more secure, and while at first it really flatted out and lost some physical texture, I regained it as I worked.

I added LOTS more beads, and hand quilted the sky, after adding another layer of batting. While it cannot be seen in the photo, this extra batting gives much greater depth. I machine quilted along the main lines of the mountain, adding to the sense of 3D.

I now need to get it back on the frame!

So I am the little girl, circa 1958. Our son is the airborne inverted one. Our daughter powers through powder along the left, and my husband is driving his pole down the middle.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2012, 12:25 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: WIP KT22 Fiber/Felting FINISHED!!!!

The figures work so much better in this version. Glad you got it to come together. I know it was giving you fits at one point. Sounds like the felting machine came to the rescue on this too.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Jen, I just found this thread and read through. Amazing, I really had no clue that a felting machine existed or such incredible work could be done on one. This should brighten your mountain home and provide the needed view of the mountains.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

Oh yes Jen, you did it
Wonderful piece.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

This is fantastic!!! Didn't see it the first time so had to read thru the WIP...LOVE the changes you made to the figures--so much more integrated into the piece!

I'm "into" so many different things...watercolor is foremost but, I love bear-making, embroidery, sewing, miniatures (dollhouse), models and dioramas, working with Sculpy clay and--my latest interest--jewelry-making! Recently made some earrings for my mom for Christmas--1st time--with small polished rocks; I'm sure that I've forgotten something. Would love to try art quilting and felting sometime too. My sister makes the most wonderful bags--my sewing is a bit rusty!

Wish I had the opportunity (and the cash) to go skiing more--started when I was 4. My ex and me used to live 5-10 minutes from the local ski area and, before the divorce, he would get us season ski passes. Before we had kids, we even traveled to different ski areas--esp. in Colorado--to satisfy the urge. One time, we took a "day trip" to Jackson Hole, Wyoming--from Illinois!! Just got in the car and started driving; drove all day/night--got there-went skiing--got back in the car and started driving back. Took alot longer to get back. Oh, what people do when they're young... Now, I'm lucky if I go a couple of times a year--just can't afford it!

Michele

"Insanity--Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"...Albert Einstein
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast
Rural Manitoba

Hails from Canada

Spectacular, Jen! Must feel good to have it done too!